GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anyone sell the piston end cap for HPFPs?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
plastic on CF to hide issues enough to sell car.

What?!?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
The oil pickup has a grill, normally it should not allow metal parts to go through and the microscopic ones should be filtered out by the oil filter (of course it will not prevent immediate damage)

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
The oil pickup has a grill, normally it should not allow metal parts to go through and the microscopic ones should be filtered out by the oil filter (of course it will not prevent immediate damage)

I am not sure if you realize that the oil that goes into the pickup trough the oil pump is not filtered 100% by the filter, some of the oil is bypassed and does not get filtered but is sent through the engine anyways.

The pickup is not as fine a mesh as you think, it just stops the bigger pieces.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I, personally, would not buy a used cam...here again spending $200 to avoid or prolong spending another $550 is another $200 spent on doing it correctly and avoiding further disaster. But you seem to be determined to avoid spending what you need to to do things in a safe and permanent manner, which is confusing when you look at your viewpoint on the end cap vs just a CF. I ask myself "why do a new end cap rather than just a CF and then do all the work adding a used intake cam rather than a new one?" Seems you don't mind doing more than you need to in order to save a few bucks now but end up spending more in the long run so you can attend to scheduled periodicals that may not even be in need of service at this time. I'm more a once and done thinker I guess and would address top priority needs first.

Tungaloy

At this point just put a new CF in and check it periodically until you saved enough money so you can do the job correctly with new parts and not used.....

Op you should a last drop oil pan clean it out and place magnets on oil pickup to catch the metal shaving, this is what VW does when doing this type of repair.

I've already got the end cap for the pump coming in the mail. I feel like the pump is in pretty good shape other than the cap, so I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. If I have to replace the pump in a few thousand miles then so be it. My reasoning for not just throwing the CF on is so that I can get as much use as I can out of the HPFP before I do have to replace it. In the meantime I'll put that money elsewhere in the car. I really like the magnet idea though and I think it's definitely worth dropping the oil pan for.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I am not sure if you realize that the oil that goes into the pickup trough the oil pump is not filtered 100% by the filter, some of the oil is bypassed and does not get filtered but is sent through the engine anyways.
I know that, that's why I said it would not prevent immediate damage. My reasoning was that since the cam follower was already eaten through and the car was driven like this, most of the metal particles in suspension where already filtered, but yes a magnet cannot hurt.

Tungaloy

I, personally, would not buy a used cam...here again spending $200 to avoid or prolong spending another $550 is another $200 spent on doing it correctly and avoiding further disaster. But you seem to be determined to avoid spending what you need to to do things in a safe and permanent manner, which is confusing when you look at your viewpoint on the end cap vs just a CF. I ask myself "why do a new end cap rather than just a CF and then do all the work adding a used intake cam rather than a new one?" Seems you don't mind doing more than you need to in order to save a few bucks now but end up spending more in the long run so you can attend to scheduled periodicals that may not even be in need of service at this time. I'm more a once and done thinker I guess and would address top priority needs first.

Because if I spent the $550 Then that will eat up my budget for the timing set, which is a primary worry of mine. I really don't want to get this car back together then have the timing belt go out. It was a $600 bill from the machine shop when my daughter's Santa Fe stripped the timing belt and bent valves. Since im doing the timing belt anyway replacing the camshaft is just a matter of yanking the valve cover and bearing caps so it's not that much more work. I've got plans to yank the head off and send it to have the valves ground and to get the valve guides and seals replaced, probably in about six months or so. If I need to replace the camshaft at that point then I'm fine with it. The fuel pump and camshaft makes major repair number four that I'm currently in the middle of and trying to get finished in the next two or three weeks.

The camshaft that I'm looking at appears to be in pretty good shape. The chamfers on the tri-lobe are even all the way to the apex and the finish appears to be good. Anyway you look at it the camshaft has to be better than what I've got, and if it isn't I can get my money back.

My reasoning might not be the same as yours but that's because my situation isn't the same as yours. I'd prefer to install brand new parts and be done with it, but I have to try to get the most bang for my buck right now

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yeah, I get it. You do what you have to and can given what you know to need being done. Only you can best determine how to go about it. I do have other cars and would sideline the MK5 doing things once with new bits...and I hope you can get some relief from repairs. You have the cam chain coming off as well when you do the cam swap...are you planning to add a new chain tensioner or vacuum pump while having it in that condition? Other bits to consider even though you can do so when you readdress the valve job. Four years ago I rebuilt the head, rings, and rod bearings on mine...but I let the cam chain. tensioner, and vac pump go. Now I have oil leaking from the vacuum pump and am looking at doing all these soon. I want to get cam tension data from others soon with a K04 first to compare how far gone my tensioner is.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I might be wrong but I think that removing the vacuum pump is only like removing 4 screws? I also have oil leaking there so I should also have a look.

Tungaloy

Yeah, I get it. You do what you have to and can given what you know to need being done. Only you can best determine how to go about it. I do have other cars and would sideline the MK5 doing things once with new bits...and I hope you can get some relief from repairs. You have the cam chain coming off as well when you do the cam swap...are you planning to add a new chain tensioner or vacuum pump while having it in that condition? Other bits to consider even though you can do so when you readdress the valve job. Four years ago I rebuilt the head, rings, and rod bearings on mine...but I let the cam chain. tensioner, and vac pump go. Now I have oil leaking from the vacuum pump and am looking at doing all these soon. I want to get cam tension data from others soon with a K04 first to compare how far gone my tensioner is.

I've got an oil leak that appears to be coming from around the vacuum pump too. Thanks for cluing me in about the chain. I may change if I can budget it in. What is it driving?

Tungaloy

I might be wrong but I think that removing the vacuum pump is only like removing 4 screws? I also have oil leaking there so I should also have a look.

It's three screws. The one on the bottom right hand side has a much larger head and it's also holding a clamp for a wire harness.