GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you think this will be totaled?

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
My wife was in her 11' JSW making a right turn and a douche BMW driver tried to pass her on the right. This was a hill and bend in the road, so he claimed he thought she was making a left. This jerk yelled at my wife too and it really pissed me off because she pregnant and due tomorrow. Luckily she and the baby are ok.
This is the only pic I have now. All passenger air bags deployed and side damage only. My wife loves this car and wants to keep it.
What do you think?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Glad your wife is OK; have her get checked out to be safe (if you haven't yet).

I would not guess it to be totaled; but all airbags deploying means a really high replacement cost so it is possible...

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Hmm air bags were deployed but damage doesn't look to bad... This is a toss up but I am gonna guess no. Sorry to hear the guy was a jerk, people act stupid at times of distress... hope your wife is ok

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
golf
Hmm air bags were deployed but damage doesn't look to bad... This is a toss up but I am gonna guess no. Sorry to hear the guy was a jerk, people act stupid at times of distress... hope your wife is ok

Def a toss up, air bags add up quickly, usually not a good sign once they depoly in terms of cost

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
Glad your wife is OK; have her get checked out to be safe (if you haven't yet).

I would not guess it to be totaled; but all airbags deploying means a really high replacement cost so it is possible...

Thanks, she is ok and not in pain at all. Amazingly this car really made the difference. I hope it isn't, but the air bags do worry me more than the other damage. Plus we have a new baby seat that has to be replaced now.
We looked up the blue book value for her car and it is around $14-$15k. Do you think the damage would exceed that? It will be tough to find a JSW like the one she had. It was pretty maxed out in all the options except no DSG or Nav.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
golf
Thanks, she is ok and not in pain at all. Amazingly this car really made the difference. I hope it isn't, but the air bags do worry me more than the other damage. Plus we have a new baby seat that has to be replaced now.
We looked up the blue book value for her car and it is around $14-$15k. Do you think the damage would exceed that? It will be tough to find a JSW like the one she had. It was pretty maxed out in all the options except no DSG or Nav.

airbags are what like 800-1200 a pop, how many deployed...say 6 popped thats almost half the cost of the car in value right there...if my air bag cost estimates are correct, and you had your two front and 4 sides pop you could be upwards of 7k

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
airbags are what like 800-1200 a pop, how many deployed...say 6 popped thats almost half the cost of the car in value right there...if my air bag cost estimates are correct, and you had your two front and 4 sides pop you could be upwards of 7k

You're correct. Airbags are right around the $1200 mark. Looks like it will likely be totaled. Chances are they would replace 1 door, fix the other and the area above the back wheel. Don't forget to add in cost to paint those, PLUS any shop that warranties work (especially a dealer) is going to paint all adjacent panels which would mean in your case back bumper, passenger fender (and hood depending on if there is damage on the front fender at all). This is all assuming there is no frame damage which might be slight from the looks of it under the passenger door.

I would say that you have at least a 95% chance of this being totaled.

On a more positive note, I'm glad to hear your wife and child are safe. Also congrats on the new child, wish it was happening under better circumstances that it could be said but everyone is alive and well which is a victory in and of itself

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
You're correct. Airbags are right around the $1200 mark. Looks like it will likely be totaled. Chances are they would replace 1 door, fix the other and the area above the back wheel. Don't forget to add in cost to paint those, PLUS any shop that warranties work (especially a dealer) is going to paint all adjacent panels which would mean in your case back bumper, passenger fender (and hood depending on if there is damage on the front fender at all). This is all assuming there is no frame damage which might be slight from the looks of it under the passenger door.

I would say that you have at least a 95% chance of this being totaled.

On a more positive note, I'm glad to hear your wife and child are safe. Also congrats on the new child, wish it was happening under better circumstances that it could be said but everyone is alive and well which is a victory in and of itself

Thanks, I am so thankful they are both ok. It just shows how safe VWs can be. I just feel so bad for my wife if this is totaled, because how much she loves this car. The worst part about that is she might have to down grade, because of the baby. Also this car is close to being paid off :(

So I guess we are looking at:

Interior-3 air bags, and some trim. I am sure the passenger seat might be part of this. Luckily the dash air bag didn't deploy. If that happened, then I would say 100% for sure.
Exterior-only passenger side doors, and a small dent in the rocker panel. Some trim and glass are fine. The fender and quarter panel are fine too.

The car was towed today and will get an estimate from the shop soon hopefully.

formul8

My GLI farts
Car(s)
2006 GLI
If the firewall and/or B pillar have any damage, then along with the airbags - it will likely be totaled.

I had a 2006 Jetta GLI that had the drivers door backed into at parking lot speed. Replacement and repair cost was well over $2,000. Airbags did not go off since the car was parked and speed was low.

Most companies consider the vehicle a total loss when repairs exceed 70-80% of ACV.

Last edited:

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
If the firewall and/or B pillar have any damage, then along with the airbag comments - it will be totaled.

I had a 2006 Jetta GLI that had the drivers door backed into at parking lot speed. Replacement and repair cost was well over $2,000. Airbags did not go off since the car was parked and speed was low.

Add the cost of the airbags, replacing the upper dash panel, and compare the actual cash value of the car including depreciation for the damage, I'm going to say it's very likely this car will be written off as a total loss.

Yeah it's hard to say what damage is not seen.

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, I am so thankful they are both ok. It just shows how safe VWs can be. I just feel so bad for my wife if this is totaled, because how much she loves this car. The worst part about that is she might have to down grade, because of the baby. Also this car is close to being paid off :(

So I guess we are looking at:

Interior-3 air bags, and some trim. I am sure the passenger seat might be part of this. Luckily the dash air bag didn't deploy. If that happened, then I would say 100% for sure.
Exterior-only passenger side doors, and a small dent in the rocker panel. Some trim and glass are fine. The fender and quarter panel are fine too.

The car was towed today and will get an estimate from the shop soon hopefully.

If that is the case, I think that you may be close then. Assuming there isn't any unseen damage and what they replace vs repair your wife may wind up driving around in her JSW still. Hoping the best. Definitely keep us updated on it.

formul8

My GLI farts
Car(s)
2006 GLI
Yeah it's hard to say what damage is not seen.

The door skins are replaceable, but the front one is definitely bent. If the window motor and lock mechanism got crunched, there's another $1,000 easy. The rear door might be salvageable, but still costs quite a bit to repair.

If they fix it, the car would be fine to drive since it wasn't a direct hit that could tweak the frame. It's just door replacements.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Hopefully you will not be totaled and can keep the car nicely repaired.

Hopefully the BMW driver has a mad case of stomach flu affecting both ends of his body. Jeez.
WHO THE fk gets out and yells at woman pregnant in the middle of the road? I really hope nothing good ever happens to that person again. With all my soul I wish him a sorry life. Much pain and sadness.

I hope the best for your family and new child!!

BMKruse

Ready to race!
It just may be totaled... Mine was hit in almost the same
spot but on the opposite side. It was totaled. Whatever you do don't get a Passat to replace it if it is. That's the only regret I have.