GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do coilovers come from factory set at optimal height?

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
I'm having my kw v1 set installed today and I want only a minimal drop, I want them to make the car perform better, not look better. So are the perch settings out of the box the optimal drop? Thanks for the info guys.

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Going out on a limb and saying No. I'm pretty sure they'll have to be adjusted when installed. My HPA SHS coilovers were the same way, but I have them all the way down in front and matched in rear with a little room left to go.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Going out on a limb and saying No. I'm pretty sure they'll have to be adjusted when installed. My HPA SHS coilovers were the same way, but I have them all the way down in front and matched in rear with a little room left to go.

That's not going out on a limb.

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
I had Koni coilover installed about 2 months ago. Something to be aware of is they will "settle" a bit after installation, so you may well need to take the car back to the shop (or adjust them yourself) a few weeks after the installation. Some guys set the adjustment up as "8 threads from the top", but the better way is to park your car on a level surface and measure from the ground to the fender lip and adjust the coilovers for the heigth you want (whatever that may be). I set mine up for a 1" drop in the rear and the front so the car appears level. Stock with just 2,000 miles on the car my front end was much higher than the rear which looked hideous to me.

I have heard nothing but good about the K1 coilovers, You are going to like them!

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
Thanks for the great comments guys, I will take into acount the settling effect, I think an inch in the back and maybe an inch and a half in the front will do it but I don't know yet. Also, the coilovers claim a drip rang of about an inch only, somthing like 1.4 min to 2.0 max but.... There are several inches of threading on the strut body so I'm a little confused.

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
Thanks for the great comments guys, I will take into acount the settling effect, I think an inch in the back and maybe an inch and a half in the front will do it but I don't know yet. Also, the coilovers claim a drip rang of about an inch only, somthing like 1.4 min to 2.0 max but.... There are several inches of threading on the strut body so I'm a little confused.

It's the angle of the dangle. Kinda like a gear ratio. the adjustment point, or fulcrum is further in on the rear, so less threads are needed to make the same adjustment then the front. Kinda like a plane flying off course, an inch here equals several feet in translation. You'll figure it out once you look at it close.

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
Yea the perches needed to come down quite a bit I'm 15 threads from bottom up front and have a two finger gap, perfect for hard driving without worry of rubbing.