GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Switchable Stage 1-2 BSH PCV Fix

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Many of you may have seen my DIY that converts a stage 1 PCV fix into a stage 2, if you haven’t here is the link: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83761

Over the winter it froze and I had to go back to the stock setup.

This year I upgraded the hoses and fittings to a 1/2” ID and added some hardware so it can be easily switched from stage 1 to 2.

Here is a picture of the modified catch can. I won’t go in to detail of how I upgraded all the hardware:

Tools needed:
1/4” NPT tap
1 x 1/4” NPT plug
2 x 3/8” NPT plugs
7/16" drill bit

Here is what the plugs look like

Drill and tap the ¼” NPT hole between the 2 main holes. It needs to be offset slightly to the left so the gasket on the valve cover lands in the middle of the plug. In my case because I had filled in the channel with JB weld so I had to re-create the channel, more on this later

Outside

Inside

In stage 1 mode the 3 plugs are out half way:

Outside

Inside:

Above we can see the channel partially redrilled

In stage 2 mode the middle plug is in all the way and the barb connectors are added:

Outside

Inside:

There would also be a third mode not shown here where the left and middle plugs are in all the way and the right barb is attached. This would create a race can configuration.

Lastly I apologize for the poor picture quality and not having a picture of the final product after the channel was completely re-drilled, but I imagine you get the idea.

-Cad

very nice diy.

I wish BSH kept w/ their 2 piece design, so it would be easy for people like us up in the great white north to revert to plate only.

I have a stg 1 plate i keep in the car incase i get emergencies like such, but i am very fortunate as i don'thave any freezing issues, and i drain my catch can religiously in the winter

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Mine actually froze just behind the plate inside the square outlet on the valve cover.

When I took the plate off the morning after I had it towed there was a chunk of ice attached to it plugging the brass fitting.

-Cad

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
The can was drained at the time it froze. I was confused at first when I took the line off of the barbed fitting and was able to blow through the catch can.

It froze in the blue circle above.

When I pulled the guidance block off, there was a square ice cube attached to it.

It probably froze where it did because the size of the hole in the elbow was only 1/4 inch. They have been upgraded to 1/2 inch this year :)

-Cad

^ cadbury, are you talking about the elbow as in the brass elbow you used?

I know forge has smaller sized inlets on their plate and catch cans, as they claim it helps catch stuff better, but I think having a large one will be just as good, and also having a longer hose. My BSH Stg2+ stood up fine all winter.

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Yes, the brass elbow. The ice was blocking the outlet elbow.

I originally used smaller hoses and elbows so I had a higher velocity through the hose. But it didn't work out to well for me anyways.

-Cad