GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Smoked Tailights

kev24k

Go Kart Champion
A better way to do this to make it look like you dont even have tails is to paint match it, only mix some clear in with the paint so that its still a little translucent. Paint matched tails! And then just add a reflector to the rear of your car like the R32s, make sure you can still see a reasonable amount of lights and you're legal!

would love to see a photoshop of this

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
if you do a search you can find pics of it done on a silver passat on here. it looks so friggin sweet!

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Nevermind I searched for you. I started a thread called The Search For Dark Tails, and this guy was very informative about the CVC code. You should read it if you want the legal way of getting out of tickets. Heres the pic of his car

I think you need to read the CA vehicle code. There is nothing that says your LENSES need to be red, only that the LAMP is red. What this means is that as long as they shine red, you're good.

I had the tails on my Passat color-matched for 3 years and I got pulled over once for them and my tinted front sides. I accepted the tint ticket, because while contrary to popular belief you CAN tint the front sides, I was over the limit, but I argued about the tails. After an hour of the officer looking through the CVC I pulled out my highlighted copy of the CVC as well as the Mirriam-Webster definition of "lamp" and "lens." He wasn't happy, but he agreed I was right. Not to mention all the cars that come from the factory now without a drop of red in them. Basically, know what's legal and fight it if you get pulled over. Having the CVC highlighted in my glovebox helped as well since he knew I'd done my research and there was no amiguity.

\

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Just FYO, as long as your 3rd brake light remains stock you should be legal in most states. The ordinances usually say your car must reflect red from the rear an such and such a distance. The 3rd brake light should meet that requirement. Or at least that's what my brothers tell me:tongue:

The only problem is your reverse lights need to be white by law. Otherwise how do you know if your braking or reversing? The reverse lights are the ones located on the hatch. Note the clear/white circles in the middle. When I ordered my black tail lights i didnt realize they were Euro so one circle is white the other is red. But its whatever havnt been pulled over yet.

Sagerabbit

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
Thought I would add a little masking tape and create a more subtle tint (with Nightshades). I did the tint on my own then took it to a shop to get clearcoated. Turned out really nice, very OEM. I was finding the tailights a little pink, but now they are like rubies.

Attachments

• SSPX0335.jpg
    SSPX0335.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 1,701
  • SSPX0337.jpg
    SSPX0337.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,701

mkvhitam

Ready to race!
Can we do it like in R32? smoke the sides; but not the center circles.

Does anyone here happen to know how much difference ($) will it be to do film instead of spray tint?

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
I've never really been a fan of using the VHT tint stuff, just because they always come out slightly dull. That's just me though. I personally use the lamin-x smoked/charcoal/etc films on my tail lights. It'll last forever, and protect the plastic. It'll also come off easily if you wanted to remove them.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
I've never really been a fan of using the VHT tint stuff, just because they always come out slightly dull. That's just me though. I personally use the lamin-x smoked/charcoal/etc films on my tail lights. It'll last forever, and protect the plastic. It'll also come off easily if you wanted to remove them.

Ive never really been a fan of spray tints either, but it does have a certain versatility that vinyl doesnt, with vinyl, you only get that shade, you cant pick an exact shade by layering the spray.
To get the spray glossy you will most likely have to wet-sand, but also, vinyl is easier to remove.
Its a personal preference really, it depends on whats right for you.

Im looking to get this done soon, Im really undecided on what rout I want to go, vinyl or spray.

I had my tails blacked out before with vinyl, and I got a ticket for it, so it was convienient cus I was able to remove the tint, it wouldnt have been so easy if I had spray tinted it.

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
Ok, here goes.

Materials needed:

-VW GTI tailights (and preferably the car too lol).
-1+ Can of VHT Nightshades spray tint (approved for off-road use only).
-1 Package of 800 grit sandpaper.
-1 Package of 1000 grit sandpaper.
-1 Package of 2000 grit sandpaper.
-1 can of Clear coat (don't be cheap here buy the good stuff)
-Newspaper
-An outside location (this is preferable, trust me)

How to:

Remove the taillights from the car (duh), using 800 grit sandpaper sand down the face of the lights till not a single spot is shiny, this promotes adhesion (prevents tint from peeling in the future). Sand down the middle little dot thingy (okay you think of a better word for it) till the lines around it are gone. Also, pay close attention to the rims of the lights, they are recessed a bit, so fold the sandpaper over and use the edge. After this, wipe the face of the light clean to remove all the dust (there will be quite a bit). This is what the light should look like at this point.

Sanded:

One of the greatest benefits to using the spray tint method vs. the film method is that the spray tint method allows you to adjust the level of darkness as you go. Apply spray tint in THIN coats, watching carefully for drips/runs, here's what each coat SHOULD look like...

One Coat:

Two Coats:

(Warning: This is where street legal ends...)

Three Coats:

Four Coats: (If necessary)

If you want the tailights to be darker at this point, keep applying coat by coat, keeping in mind that you might want SOME light to get through. (I don't want to be rear-ended, do you?)

After you have achieved your desired darkness apply 3 coats of clearcoat, wet-sand the lights, polish 'em up, and re-install 'em.

For comparison purposes:

Finito!

Is there any way you can list the actuall products you used??? Just curious, but I would hate to accidently use a lower quality product and end up with shit... No too worried about the sand paper, but the tint....

Thanks

MDgti08

Go Kart Champion
looks good. ive heard of ppl just cleaning them with alcohol wipes. and tapeing the car inside of taking them off. good idea? bad idea? and for the ug how many coats were used? i like how dark it is i just dont wanna go too dark and get pulled over for it.

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd

They are easier to come off, but lets not forget the first few steps it took to get to the final stage of these tinted tails; you can always sand the tint off, but it would be a bit more difficult than a peel-away option....:thumbsup:

Widebody MkVer

Performance Infused Style
In terms of the paints i used, I used VHT niteshades for the spray tint, and for the clearcoat, i used krylon clear. just go slowly, in thin coats and you'll be golden. The vinyl option looks good, except for i have seen many cars with them starting to peel, bubble, and seems seperating. Johns tinted tails uses the spray tint method as well. If you clear, wetsand and wax the lights properly, they will shine just like the rest of the car, it depends on how much work YOU are willing to do.