GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY over the break

HCGTI

Ready to race!
that looks alot better after a few days.
it still isn't as glossy or rich as we hoped.
but as others have said more layers of paint and more clear coat and more time in between curing and coating will have it looking better.

besides, this was our first time.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Did you rub it back between coats?
For final clear coat (i'm not expert on paint btw and not sure on layer by layer or just final coat) flood is better but is hard to get right unless you're very good as well cos its easy to end up with runs.

HCGTI

Ready to race!
Did you rub it back between coats?
For final clear coat (i'm not expert on paint btw and not sure on layer by layer or just final coat) flood is better but is hard to get right unless you're very good as well cos its easy to end up with runs.

no, we didn't rub between coats. should we have??

i'm afraid of running as well with flooding it.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
... i also hated the fact it looks like a jetta from a distance...:thumbsup:

watchatalkingabout, JTW? :fighting0030:
:rolleyes:
Maybe I need to get that R32 badge on my Jetta grille... :)

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Oooh, I love DIY's - finally did a long overdue one myself today! :biggrin:

And :thumbup: to you boys for having a go. It's so much fun tooling around on your car, and it's not like it's the end of the world if the paint isn't spot on first time... Just means you get to muck around with the car some more. :thumbsup:

I love the gloss black R look too Terence. Hurry up and get the paint done so you can sort out that plate! :wink:

JTW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
watchatalkingabout, JTW? :fighting0030:
:rolleyes:
Maybe I need to get that R32 badge on my Jetta grille... :)

lol sorry i have love for the jetta's too, "i done wan any trouble man"

but im sick of making a mug of myself seeing a jetta 100m behind me and slowing up assuming it's a R32 to find out it's a 60 yr old driving a jetta.. i wanted something different and more aggressive. i like it, it's more to my taste and age, it's obviously not for everyone but ay, i like it:thumbsup:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
lol sorry i have love for the jetta's too, "i done wan any trouble man"

but im sick of making a mug of myself seeing a jetta 100m behind me and slowing up assuming it's a R32 to find out it's a 60 yr old driving a jetta.. i wanted something different and more aggressive. i like it, it's more to my taste and age, it's obviously not for everyone but ay, i like it:thumbsup:

X2 whachatalkinbout?

Now you look like a GT sport :lol:.

Doesn't make sense, now you've painted it do you still slow up if u see a jetta in the rear view mirror :iono:

JTW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
X2 whachatalkinbout?

Now you look like a GT sport :lol:.

Doesn't make sense, now you've painted it do you still slow up if u see a jetta in the rear view mirror :iono:

stfu greg:biggrin: looks nothing like a gt sport.

umm i didn't do it for me i did it for my fellow R32ers so they don't make the mistake and continue driving lol...

plus like i said just looks more aggresive to begin with. plus i wanted that euro plate holder removed so it looks good now with the PPQ plates in black no euro holder..

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
quick question.
with the clear coat, is it best to spray layer by layer or flood it?

With the colour spray several light coats, and only spray as much as you have to to get the colour even. The more coats you spray the darker it will get (Not that that's really a problem with straight black). Let it dry for a couple of hours before painting the clear coat.

With the clear, practice on a piece of cardboard first, you want to try and spray it on as heavily as you can without it running. Don't let it dry completely before spraying the next coat (ie. wet on wet coats as much as you can without it running). Got nuts with the clear coat, too many coats is better than not enough.

Once you're satisfied let it dry properly for at least 24hrs. before attempting to polish, otherwise you run the risk of polishing the paint straight off.

Like I say practice first on some cardboard otherwise the thinners or sandpaper will have to come out. If you do get a run in the final coat or two, it is possible to CAREFULLY wet & dry it out with some 1200 or more grit, using a sanding block & the paper wet, so that you only sand the run & not the rest of the paint.

There is no need to sand between any of the coats. Maybe you could lightly sand between colour & clear, being particularly careful you don't take off all the paint you just put on, but if you do, make sure it's cleaned up very well afterwards so that you don't get dust in the clear coat. Personally I haven't bothered sanding between coats and have had good results.

Check out this thread, for a little DIY on did when I colour coded my wife's Skoda grill to black magic...

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showpost.php?p=164539&postcount=4

Last edited:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
stfu greg:biggrin: looks nothing like a gt sport.

umm i didn't do it for me i did it for my fellow R32ers so they don't make the mistake and continue driving lol...

plus like i said just looks more aggresive to begin with. plus i wanted that euro plate holder removed so it looks good now with the PPQ plates in black no euro holder..

Looks pretty similar to me:

there are at least 23 variants of golf don't see what's so surprising that they will look a bit similar.

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
damn looks hot Chris!!!

Hong, i think im gonna take it to a professional!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

also Chris, was the back part of the grill left clipped on or seperated when you took it in.

PS, mrx that looks great too!! primer would have helped a bit i think!

Last edited: