GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY, diagnosing and fixing your steering clunk noises.

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
allright, shortly after i installed my suspension i started getting a slight clunking noise from the front end of the car, when i turned at low speeds such as parking, u turns, etc. the noise drove me crazy, not because its that bad, its just that its a new car and any problems scare me especially that im on aftermarket suspension. i took days and days of my time to research the problem, sent out dozens of pm's to people who had reported the problem to see what had happened. i probably lost alot of sleep because of this, no lie.

i figured im probably the only one to search this deep so i want to compile all of my unformation together and hopefully help others fix any steering noises they might have. there are a few causes and remedies that have fixed different types of clunks.

upper strut mount bearings: this is probably the most common problem, when you change out the suspension, you put a different agle of load on the strut mounts, as some of you may know, VW has never been able to make a strut mount bearing worth a damn. to tell if a strut mount bearing is the cause you need to check the following:
-the car will make clunks at low speed turns and occasionally on speed bumps and other bumps
- it will usually happen less often or quieter when it is colder outside
- you will hear the noise coming from the upper front of the car, and wouldnt be coming from under the front or the floor.
- when the wheels are turned with suspension under no load (on jack stands or a lift) you will not hear the noise.
- pop the hood and have someone listen in the area while you crank the wheel around

strut bearing as pretty cheap (about $30 for a set of 2 fronts) but you will need to get your car realigned after the install, just go ahead and instill new ones with new suspension, vw updated the sturt bearing, new part numeber is 6N0 412 249 C

Lower ball joint/controle arm bolts
on alot of cars with aftermarket suspension these 3 bolts may not be properly torqued down or could have worked there way loose. the symptoms of this may include:
-loser than normal feeling steering wheel and softer less responsive steering
- lower speed clunking as well as higher speed clunking that should be heard from the bottom of the front and felt through the floorboard/pedals.
- possibly rattles or excessive noise when hitting bumps.

to fix this, just go under the car, and tighten the 3 bolts on the onderside of the controle arm, you should notice everything stiffen up and the noise stop.

loose subframe bolts

apparently some people are having problems with the subframe bolts working there way loose, with this you will feel a clunking or popping from the underside of the car on most slower turns. this is a warranty issue and your dealer should fix it weather or not your modified. if they deny you then the best i can tell you is to get under there and tighten them all up, although any loose bolts should be replaced.

other possible problems/causes
- settling of the springs
- loose swaybar endlinks (especially if you have an aftermarket bar)
- other loose suspension component bolts
- steering rack problem

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
Thanks.

Can you post pics of where the subframe bolts are, or do you have a link to a picture?

-JP
sorry im not too sure about the subframe bolts, there are dozens of them though all throughout the bottom of the car, im sure any of the front ones could possibly come loose. its hard to say.

b0oZ

Ready to race!
i have these noises...specially when im backing into a parking spot...but thought i was the only one and someone just messed up my car after they installed my springs...thanks for the infor, now i can narrow it down to a couple things..

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
i have these noises...specially when im backing into a parking spot...but thought i was the only one and someone just messed up my car after they installed my springs...thanks for the infor, now i can narrow it down to a couple things..
if it happened after the spring install, im ganna go with the strut bearings, it seems like it you go a while with the stock ones then change the angle of the suspension by lowering it they tend to go bad. not a safety hazard but sure is annoying.

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
Yes, but.... it is kinda neuspeed copyright, so I'd ask their permission first. Also, all the torque specs are VERY valuable information. Might as well just link the PDF :thumbsup:

true, forgot about the torques, i guess anyone without a torque wrench could just make sure there pretty snug.

b0oZ

Ready to race!
if it happened after the spring install, im ganna go with the strut bearings, it seems like it you go a while with the stock ones then change the angle of the suspension by lowering it they tend to go bad. not a safety hazard but sure is annoying.

thanks, since i had recently took the car to the dealer, they fixed the problem...tightening up some bolts=no more noise :thumbsup:

b0oZ

Ready to race!
any clue exactly what bolts they tightened up?

no idea what they did, but the noise is gone...also..im wondering if they didnt tighten something up, i got an alignment, but the car sways from side to side while drivine...its not pulling to a certain side, but if i move the wheel to any side, it sways more than usuall...any ideas?

RHCPCraze

Ready to race!
tight as hell