GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discussing LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition)

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
You all worry too much. Your warranty is 5/60 or better if you bought a mechanical breakdown contract.

You don't want higher cylinder temperatures and pressures? Don't tune.
Some people keep a car past 60k. Some people tune. If you don't have anything pertinent to add to the conversation, go back to starting threads about seeing Jesus driving a Golf R in your Waffle House hash browns.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
What's the best way to do that? Are you using an OBD2 with an app? I've wanted to log to get a clear idea how the upgrades affect the car at each stage.
Cobb AP.

Ps. Yay Atlanta traffic!

Tone1

Ready to race!
Cobb is hands down the best way to log on the market for our cars. The datarate is miles beyond Vagcom or any other logging software, and the number of different parameters is staggering. Add onto that the ease with which you can do it, one click on, one click off, it's ALMOST worth the price just to use it for logging.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Cobb is hands down the best way to log on the market for our cars. The datarate is miles beyond Vagcom or any other logging software, and the number of different parameters is staggering. Add onto that the ease with which you can do it, one click on, one click off, it's ALMOST worth the price just to use it for logging.
Completely agree! The options are mind-boggling. The only (slight) downside to such a plan is you can't log without "marrying" the AP to the vehicle, which means flashing the ecu. So you can't log while running tunes from non-Cobb sources, stock tune, etc.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Good info. APR with the MK6 had a good thing going with APR Mobile but they say the MK7 ECU essentially can't fit more options. I have to envy Cobb, ED, etc. with on-the-fly map switching and logging. I wonder if OBDeleven is enough for decent logs...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My car is DSG, completely stock and it feels like the engine is frequently lugging in auto D mode. If this is such a detrimental scenario for our cars, you think VW would adjust the shift points. Or are they simply more concerned with fuel efficiency? Leaving it in S mode constantly seems too excessive for me.

For the most part, I downshift and try to get the RPMs at around 2.5K when giving it significant throttle (>50% throttle). But according to what's been said, I really should be above 3K? Or should I only be concerned when going WOT?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Also, how noticeable is the knocking? Listening to the videos it sounds like just 3-4 faint clicking sounds. Do you really have to listen closely or is it pretty noticeable in real life?

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
^ It's almost certainly temps and overboost in vulnerable rpm territory. Not that it can't happen in stock form, but I haven't come across a story of it when everything is being done by the book ;) I wouldn't worry. In a stock scenario, The Fed is right in that you're covered.

So so many have said the stock tranny software is not optimal. I guess the company had different overall objectives. Even still, it's one hell of a car in stock form IMO. I believe there are some hacks (not people) out there including "DSG gearbox calibration" with OBDeleven that might do some good. Please don't quote me on that - it's just something read online. A TCU tune is another animal. Folks here can fill you in for sure if you haven't already read up.

I would say the engine knock is loud with windows up (and no Bieber, jk) and faint with windows down. Like was commented before, when you hear the onset of the clicking you immediately back off (and I cringe).

Last edited:

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I'm really glad that catastrophic knock is not really what we're talking about here. The MK7 engine has a flat-out great reputation. That said, I really want to get to the bottom of this noise!! It happened twice to me today like a rock in a tin can. Of all days not to have the OBD plugged in and logging - geesh.

Log, logs logs! Has anyone come across logging that included this knock noise? And what I mean of course is not the log providing a trouble code - none of us have had the pleasure. But wouldn't it be great if, let's say, while driving with whatever log tool we use to record, it does that awful knock and we flag the exact time to match it to the log data later. That way we could dish up the log, look it over and get a good feel for what is going on. Could it be at certain rpm engine speeds there is too much timing? too much boost? gearing is too low or high? etc. etc.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I'm really glad that catastrophic knock is not really what we're talking about here. The MK7 engine has a flat-out great reputation. That said, I really want to get to the bottom of this noise!! It happened twice to me today like a rock in a tin can. Of all days not to have the OBD plugged in and logging - geesh.

Log, logs logs! Has anyone come across logging that included this knock noise? And what I mean of course is not the log providing a trouble code - none of us have had the pleasure. But wouldn't it be great if, let's say, while driving with whatever log tool we use to record, it does that awful knock and we flag the exact time to match it to the log data later. That way we could dish up the log, look it over and get a good feel for what is going on. Could it be at certain rpm engine speeds there is too much timing? too much boost? gearing is too low or high? etc. etc.
I was all gung ho to log it the other day. On ramp, held steady at 3k rpms, rolled onto the accelerator pretty hard...and right on cue the knocking noise started. And I promptly pussed out and let off the throttle. Lol That's some scary sh*t man!

Last edited:

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Was at normal operating temps and allowed it to idle a bit, well to be frank, I was at a fast-food drive-thru before starting the log. It was a gorgeous 75F this morning with light breezes, so both ambient and IATs where at mild levels. Equipment recap: GTI S, DSG, Non PP, APR Stage 1 91 LO ECU, APR TCU.

A very common cause of detonation is running too much ignition advance.
Timing advance didn't seem to be a factor here.

Adding high load (or high boost pressure / WOT) greatly increases the chance and severity of detonation.
At 84% throttle in DSG D-mode showing 23 psi boost at 2300 rpm, I don't know what to say here...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w96gzom/
http://www.datazap.me/u/crudulous/knock-low-engine-speed?log=0&data=0-5-7-9&zoom=198-219

Attachments

• Knock.jpg
    Knock.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 502
  • Spreadsheet.JPG
    Spreadsheet.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 508