GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Differences between APR, Giac, Revo and Unitronic?

Can you really tell the difference between those tuners? For Example: People are saying Giac has more smoother and linear powerband than APR, Revo is a little bit more agressive than APR etc., Those things are true or is just people talking BS about the chip/brand that they have? I tried to search but nothing came out, and in YouTube is NOT fair comparison cause maybe those cars didn't have the same mods.

P

plac

i think the differences are enough to be noticable. every tuner tunes a different way.. some with more psi, some with less. all effect the powerband range.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
And you also won't find any useful data to help you make up your mind other than

"APR is the best, I use it and it works well"
OR
"Revo has no issues so its really good"

GL, just do as the rest and go to the tuner nearest you.

i think the differences are enough to be noticable. every tuner tunes a different way.. some with more psi, some with less. all effect the powerband range.

Can you tell me which one have more PSI than other? Where did you get that info? :iono:

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
There are no correct answers to any of this.

Day one someone will say brand X is smoother and brand Y makes more power

Day two someone will say brand Y is smoother and brand X makes more power

Everyones opinion on how things feel vary greatly.

What is aggressive to someone is smooth to someone else.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
GL, just do as the rest and go to the tuner nearest you.

This is the only objective way to choose a tuner. The rest is just opinions and emotions.

Can you tell me which one have more PSI than other? Where did you get that info? :iono:

Are you gonna choose based off of whoever runs the most PSI? Because ultimately you should consider others such as reliability, smoothness, customer service, support, and access to dealers.

FYI, they all are pretty much the same at Stage 1. Beyond that, you'll see greater differences due to the fact that other companies focus on different things. Unitronic and REVO mostly deal with BT setups and custom tunes while APR and GIAC focus more for the Stage 1 to K04 crowd.

Also, there are literally 5000000 threads on this one topic.

There are no correct answers to any of this.

Day one someone will say brand X is smoother and brand Y makes more power

Day two someone will say brand Y is smoother and brand X makes more power

Everyones opinion on how things feel vary greatly.

What is aggressive to someone is smooth to someone else.

I think this can be a good article for a tuner magazine!!!! :laugh:

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
For example, my initial choice was Unitronic, then I saw that APR was offering more for almost the same price. Unitronic was not giving the option to choose between different programs, whereas APR was. Like Plac said as well, choose the one that is closer to home, in the end all companies are reputable.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Unitronic and REVO mostly deal with BT setups and custom tunes while APR and GIAC focus more for the Stage 1 to K04 crowd.

While we do deal with BT setups that is not mostly what we do nor do we do any custom tuning. There really isn't much custom anything in this market it is just someone selling you beta software and calling it custom, they are going to sell it to anyone else they can once they perfect it on your car.

We all do stage 1/2 stuff and beyond no one specializes in one part of it more than another. A company cannot survive in this market just doing BT stuff the amount of work involved vs the volume sold doesn't keep the lights on, you also can't really survive without the marketing power of software for upgraded turbos.

mully

Ready to race!
Ha, this is funny. Good luck bro. They must all be the same or else why wouldn't there be any info as to the technical difference's between tuning companies. They all claim it can't be put into hard data. I can't see how that's possible with each company using a different way to tweak the ecu than the other. I doubt they all use the same logic and code. Go with the closest shop you trust and look at dyno graphs to find which cal has the power where it matters to you, either down low or up top. You would think somebody from one of the companies would put together a thread comparing different dyno graphs with different software. Then show how their calibration is better based just on hp and torque curves. Show some reason to buy their product. I find it so bizzare.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
While we do deal with BT setups that is not mostly what we do nor do we do any custom tuning. There really isn't much custom anything in this market it is just someone selling you beta software and calling it custom, they are going to sell it to anyone else they can once they perfect it on your car.

We all do stage 1/2 stuff and beyond no one specializes in one part of it more than another. A company cannot survive in this market just doing BT stuff the amount of work involved vs the volume sold doesn't keep the lights on, you also can't really survive without the marketing power of software for upgraded turbos.

All companies talk down to the "Common man" consumer to defend their product, so I knew this post was coming. But thats ok, I shouldnt have posted something that is looked at as subjective.

I'll agree that everyone does the same deal because, lets face it, everyone is held to the same parameters that the other companies are. You can never outsmart physics. But in this industry its about making more power and bragging that said company did so. But using stock turbo software will LITERALLY be the same as every competitor out there (If you're focus is power without destruction). Most companies surge the turbo some to get that extra oomph and advertise they make more, but ultimately you're going to destroy to the turbo quicker.

Another tactic (Which will agree with your last statement), is advertising. I'd say this is about 85% of the competition. ESPECIALLY on the forums. When figureheads, like yourself, defend a product it lets others know they can show support and lend a hand. Mike, Arin, yourself, Todd, Alex, Evan, Chris..........the list goes on. However, the squabble is where people get caught up in.

And even better, is when somebody on a random Car Build thread posts a new product they recently installed, everyone jumps on it immediately because it has a "good review". I read a post about a year ago that had GIAC tuning review. And almost a week after that there had been a GIAC influx of reviews. All because of that one review thread, people jumped all over it. Subjectivity is hard to escape in this world....but thats what selling this stuff is about though.

So if you want to stand out what does a company need to do? Customer service, sponsored events, community outreach (forum support)....etc...etc. However, what I've noticed from my personal professional opinion is that companies who actually offer a wide variety of products (not just tunes) get more attention. AWE and APR. (Even though AWE uses GIAC, its close to exclusivity)

I know a lot about Revo, and I can say they have a good product (better than some) and make a lot of power but its not my first, nor second choice. But thats fine. I'm just 1 consumer out of millions. Revo wont care if they dont get my $500. But they have an established company in this market and thats all that matters.

I chose APR based on:
1) It came with the car when I bought it, but I wouldve gotten it no matter
2) APR HQ is literally 1.5 hours in one of the nicest towns (Auburn) to ever stay in.
3) I like their support and products beyond just a tune.
4) I like their facility
5) I like their motorsports team.
6) I like their focus.

I normally tell people to go with whoever is closest. Thats the best objective way to choose without all the BS behind hearing companies/people argue back and forth. Looking at a map if a Revo dealer is 2 miles closer to a Unitronic dealer, then there you go. If Revo is further away, but next to the bar you always go to, then pick them because of that lol.

Bleh, so wordy.....nothing at work to do because we're waiting on concept evaluation for a new model. MY2015 BABY!

GREAT REPLY! :clap:
Thank you! :thumbsup:

mully

Ready to race!
That's what my point is. These companies are offering a performance product and none say why theirs is better and why, with data to support claims.I really am at a loss as to why.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
That's what my point is. These companies are offering a performance product and none say why theirs is better and why, with data to support claims.I really am at a loss as to why.

Even if they had data, its all smoke and mirrors. Unless theres ONE DAY with ONE DYNO...theres no point into even debating about numbers.