GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did I damage my CV Axle?

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello!

So for the past year and a half / 2 years I've had this weird 'click' when turning the wheel, while in motion, abruptly breaking, etc etc. I'm fairly confident it's coming from the left side, underneath the vehicle (which is why I thought it was the axle)

Here's an example of what it sounds like almost identically (though the click is most apparent when turning the wheel to the left)

Some things to note:
  • The sound has been occurring since replacing my front struts, I used the 2x4 method, and I believe over extended the axle while on the knuckle (forgot to properly support, didn't think much of it until reading on it). I also replaced all hardware when replacing the strut, including new strut bearings,
  • It hasn't gotten worse since it happened, and if it has it's been very subtle.
  • When turning in motion, the clicking while happen a few times, non rhythmically (for example, turning right full lock will produce 2 or 3 loud clicks, not click click click)
  • It's a lot quieter / less apparent when the temperature is bellow 60F out, if any warmer or when the car warms up its back to full volume.
  • Jacking the car up either on the left, or right side of the car, then lowering the wheel so the suspension has load will produce a click, sometimes two.
  • I have intermittent vibrations which seems to 'change' based on my steering input on the freeway. Sometimes there's little to none, other times I have quite a bit.
  • When driving next to a wall close to the car with the window down, I can hear a repeating 'thud thud thud', somewhat dull sound. Again, only on the left hand side I've noticed.

I'm not sure what tests I can use to see for certain if it's the axle or not, visually they both look perfect, but I think by overextending the driver side damaged the internal joint.

Anyways thoughts? I'm going to order a reman through rockauto, the new units are north of 800$ so thats a no go from me ha!

htr

If your axle cv joint started to fail 2 years ago by now It would be toast and extremely obvious. I would think the same for a wheel bearing ..Having trouble hearing anything obvious from the video. I may be totally wrong but I’ve had a few cv joints fail throughout the years and that don’t seem to be your case . What you’re describing is usually linked to just something loose or maybe something not seated properly. Which can be hard to diagnose. It’s not always as simple as putting a wrench into n something and it feeling tight and even specked out at the right torque values . It’s really hard to recreate the forces generated while driving when the car is static in your driveway or garage.So basically saying even if everything seems tight…….. may not be . Personally I’d start with the endlinks. They have a way of tricking you to think they’re tight.

htr

Although I don’t think endlinks would cause vibration necessarily. But then again the vibration could be unrelated to the noises .

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Although I don’t think endlinks would cause vibration necessarily. But then again the vibration could be unrelated to the noises .
That was something I tried a few days ago, I completely loosened the left side end link top and bottom nuts and turned the wheel and could still hear the cracking, though I know sound can ‘travel’ and I should probably do my passenger side as well to be safe.

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That was something I tried a few days ago, I completely loosened the left side end link top and bottom nuts and turned the wheel and could still hear the cracking, though I know sound can ‘travel’ and I should probably do my passenger side as well to be safe.
Yep double checked both sides, disconnected both end links, sound still apparent when turning wheel. Had someone turn the wheel left and right with the car in the ground, I’m certain the clicking is localized somewhere in / near the driver side wheel. I may pick up a mechanics stethoscope and prod around which the wheel turning so I can pinpoint some area, or jack the car up and try without a load on the suspension.