GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer Service Runaround??

ScarletGTI

Hey everyone,

I'm new here so hopefully this is the right forum to post this. I bought a CPO 2007 GTI last year with 47K miles on the clock. I've been keeping up with the maintenance, and just recently went in for my 60K servicing. On the phone the dealership quoted me one price, and of course when I showed up it was 200 dollars more (claiming that they thought I wanted the 70K servicing). At the time I asked if replacing the spark plugs should be park of the 60K service, to which the service advisor replied no it should have been done at the 40K. So I said OK and the work was completed.

Upon getting my car back I double checked in the manual and it says pretty clearly Spark Plugs: Replace (2.0L TFSI). Needless to say Im sort of pissed I paid even more and didn't get everything done that should have been.

I emailed the dealership and got this back:

"I wanted to contact you and apologize for all of the confusion in
regards to your most recent service visit. It seems that our
technician and service consultant may have further confused things
during the email conversations.
Your car has an engine code called FSI, which is scheduled to have
spark plugs replaced during the 40,000 mile service.
The 2007 GTI also has a different engine code which is TFSI, the
difference is direct injection, this motor calls for plugs at 60,000.
You can see that Volkswagen has multiple options for every vehicle and
every year. It gets slightly confusing. But at the end of the day your
motor calls for plugs at 40,000 not 60,000 and the technician actually
performed a visual inspection and said that the plugs were not fuel
fouled or discolored, is it possible that you had the plugs replaced
at 40,000 with possibly another repair shop ? This information was
pulled directly from Volkswagen HUB which is where we pull our
information to set up our services."

I'm calling BS as the TSI engine is simply an updated FSI engine and started on 2008+ (switching to chain driven, and fixing the notorious cam follower issue among other things). I know FSI is for Fuel Stratified Injection (the name of their direct injection tech) - and all GTI's are fuel injected as far as I thought.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. If I'm completely wrong I don't mind admitting just trying to figure this out. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!!

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Hmm sounds like a ripoff. And what exactly was the extra $200 charge for? I could change my own spark plugs for 15 bucks.

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
Take a look at your service write up and see exactly what you spent the extra $200 on. You might want to contact VWoA, and let the dealer know you intend to contact them if something seems fishy.

Definitely find a new dealer. If they're not paying for the services, do em yourself. Just keep receipts and I write the date and mileage on them.