GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer replaced rusted fenders

gsd1214

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Rabbit
For all of you guys out there..if you are experiencing rusted or bubbling paint near the wheel well. Even if it's just surface rust (didn't rust all the way through from inside)
give your local dealer a call, they will fix it. This design flaw does not only apply to the mk4's but mk5's as well. although when I first called in, the service manager claimed that on the mk5's, the tsb will only affect the tdi not gas (BS) but I asked them to submit a complaint anyway and it got approved no problem.
both fenders replaced and repainted w/ new foam pad and wheel well design which will not rub against the fender.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
Are you lowered, or did rust just start happening there?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

gsd1214

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Rabbit
They just started one day.. First on the driver side fender and then pass. side....the foam piece behind the wheel well is soaking wet, which will chafe away the paint and rust the fenders
If you google, it's quite common... it will rust regardless of lowered car

Some additional info

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387456

Last edited:

karls.gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTi
Most manufacturers have a warranty against this, some of them are a lifetime warranty. I think Vw's warranty even covers the frame, it's their anti-corrosion "promise". I'd have to look in the manual to see exactly what it's called and how long it's covered.

No dealer can hassle you about it though unless the paint was chipped or the fender was broken.....if anyone encounters a dealer who wants to throw a fit then don't hesitate to call VWOA.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Qfactor

Guys,

thanks for the heads up. I called up my local dealership. they'll take a look at the car later today.

both my front fenders are showing this issue.

Q