GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Slider Mod

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If I had to guess still firmer than B4s in comfort 😬.

Keep in mind the 15 settings are mostly increments between the existing comfort, normal and sport. The current Comfort, Normal and Sport translate to settings 3, 8 and 13 of the 15 slider positions.

So you get two ticks softer than comfort, and also two ticks firmer than sport. Those two ticks are less than half the difference between the 3 "main" modes. That's not to say it's not noticeable... But you might be disappointed if you think it's going to bring back OEM comfort mode to your B6s.

That being said, I have actually modified my driving profile data set so that Comfort driving profile sets DCC to the softest possible, which is technically softer than comfort.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
If I had to guess still firmer than B4s in comfort 😬.

Keep in mind the 15 settings are mostly increments between the existing comfort, normal and sport. The current Comfort, Normal and Sport translate to settings 3, 8 and 13 of the 15 slider positions.

So you get two ticks softer than comfort, and also two ticks firmer than sport. Those two ticks are less than half the difference between the 3 "main" modes. That's not to say it's not noticeable... But you might be disappointed if you think it's going to bring back OEM comfort mode to your B6s.

That being said, I have actually modified my driving profile data set so that Comfort driving profile sets DCC to the softest possible, which is technically softer than comfort.
I don’t have the B6 damptronic installed yet. Been sitting in my garage for some months now. I don’t think I’ll be looking to bring back OEM comfort mode because I hate it haha. I’m just more interested in how it would modulate it all. I’m more curious than anything, and the more control the better IMO.

There must be some noticeable difference, though, since you’ve set yours to the most comfortable as possible.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... I was perfectly happy with the softness of my Golf (which will be softer than a GTI/R ever was) for daily driving.

Then I started making canyon drives and wanted better. Several suspension setups and variations (like 10+) later I realized I wasn't willing to compromise on my daily drive just for better performance in the canyons and back roads. My car is a daily 99% of the time and that's where my setup has to meet my expectations.

So the DCC retrofit began. Factory DCC in comfort still isn't as soft as my Golf was. But the two ticks softer than comfort with the slider get closer. And of course DCC offers better overall control no matter the mode.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Gotcha... I was perfectly happy with the softness of my Golf (which will be softer than a GTI/R ever was) for daily driving.

Then I started making canyon drives and wanted better. Several suspension setups and variations (like 10+) later I realized I wasn't willing to compromise on my daily drive just for better performance in the canyons and back roads. My car is a daily 99% of the time and that's where my setup has to meet my expectations.

So the DCC retrofit began. Factory DCC in comfort still isn't as soft as my Golf was. But the two ticks softer than comfort with the slider get closer. And of course DCC offers better overall control no matter the mode.
Also: wanted to get your take on this modification versus something like the DSC controller?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Assuming the DSC or APR controller do what they claim to do they will be an improvement factory DCC tuning, slider or no slider. I'm not doubting by the way, but I don't have any experience.

And if you plan to go with either one of those controllers you should not enable the slider. Those controllers expect requests for the standard three modes, not 15 settings.

I don't think that's a limitation. In theory with their improved tuning, you won't need 15 settings.

Mk R

mind sharing your xml file? Did you made the file from the scratch, or did you started from a verified golf R xml file?
Unfortunately I don't have it. i had help from an ODIS/VCP expert but my Skoda file would not be much good to you. Perhaps you can find a more direct fit for a Mk7 Golf in here from someone else that's done it.

Mk R

Thank you, that’s clear as day. This is exciting to eventually see what an even softer setting on the B6 damptronics would feel like.
Late to the game here but Cuzoe's recommendation and my experience were both in the sequence of 1. making sure the gateway was sorted out first, then 2. uploading the DCC module file. There was more uncertainty for me around the gateway file because it was customised so figured we'd do the hard part first.

While the whole process is underway it was a total mess of errors, beeping, swearing and figuring out why the gateway wouldn't accept the driving profile dataset. Took us a few hours of going back to the dataset file and making edits, restarting it and cross checking the guidance online.

End result is totally worth it. I'm constantly making changes in the individual driving mode now. As soon as the road turns to garbage i flick to full soft and just lounge it over the potholes then switch it back to in between normal and sport or sport++.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Hi Guys.
Bring this up again.
Dumb question here. Why do we want to do this? isnt this the sam as using the Drive mode button? I have the Golf 7R and Skoda Superb 280hp 4x4.
The Skoda has a rubish driving ride. And sport is the only mode/profile that works! So if this mod helps diale in the ride better this would be awasome...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hi Guys.
Bring this up again.
Dumb question here. Why do we want to do this? isnt this the sam as using the Drive mode button? I have the Golf 7R and Skoda Superb 280hp 4x4.
The Skoda has a rubish driving ride. And sport is the only mode/profile that works! So if this mod helps diale in the ride better this would be awasome...
This gives you 15 possible DCC settings instead of 3. Of course the difference between each of the 15 is less than the big differences between the 3. You now have more adjustment, so in theory you should be able to find a setting that better suits you.

Now if Sport is the only ride that "works" maybe you have a suspension problem 😁. Or you just like your suspension really firm. Won't hurt to try this though. Even if you don't find a new setting you prefer you will still have the original sport mode.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Been following and looking to do this on my car for a while now.
Any way to actually add the slider to our current gateway rather than flash a new one?
If I recall, the firmware flashing part of the DCC controller is the easier part, but in my case (7R) it required flashing a different gateway as well as editing it which I wasn't entirely confortable with being that we didn't have a way to back it up (5Q0907530AM) prior to.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I think Chillout was using the Arteon R 2018+ gateway for this. I considered trying that back then, but we weren't sure just how similar they were and again no backup.
I was also apprehensive of running into a situation where the DAP required re-calibration as a consequence of gateway changes. I made that mistake once by resetting the brake module and it was costly.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've replaced my gateway (twice now), flashed gateway firmware updates and flashed at least 100 driving profile datasets and never had any impact on my DAP calibrations (all of which are retrofits).

The brake module on the other hand... yes it will drop it's coding if there is a VIN mismatch. Makes sense, but is annoying.
DCC module will drop it's dataset for a VIN mismatch as well, again makes sense, but annoying.

Mk R

Hi Guys.
Bring this up again.
Not a dumb question at all! I have a Superb 280 4x4 wagon. There are two reasons you want this modification:

1. Because the underlying dataset you get with this modification is much better suited to the car and stops the bouncy feel you have, and;
2. Because it allows softer and firmer settings than you have now and 15 levels in total instead of just 3.

The stock DCC dataset for the Superb is terrible. It floats and wallows and bounces far too much after bumps in any mode other than Sport. This upgrade uses a much more suitable dataset from late model Passat 280 or Arteon 280 and will totally transform the ride in all modes in the Superb including improved rebound damping.

I really like a firm ride so I tend to vary the level from between Normal and Sport and up to Sport++ unless i've just picked up takeaway coffees in which case i use comfort++ to stop the coffee spilling everywhere :)

The below photos are what the slider looks like on MIB2.5 and MIB2 head units on a Superb. The slider is visible in menu for the Individual driving profile changes.

Attachments

• 170C3844-CE99-406A-9594-1B8DFCB1123E.jpeg
    170C3844-CE99-406A-9594-1B8DFCB1123E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 88
  • 327443795_727804622283477_2835673596289751868_n.jpeg
    327443795_727804622283477_2835673596289751868_n.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 84