GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dbv2 turbo failure

Dylanc26

Car(s)
2018 gti dbv2 is38
Sad post: so yesturday was doing a pull in second, shifted to third, no boost... took the car home thinking a hose popped off or something, checked all hoses and vacuum lines, everything was fine. Took my gti to my shop and pull the intake and down pipe off, compressor side looked perfectly fine, was really happy about that.... then the terrible news, check the exhaust turbine, fins on the exhaust turbine broken... turbo is a dbv2 v2 journal bearing is38 hybrid... I know some people in this group are not fond with dbv2... as I am not anymore. I was told to be careful with dbv2 and I opted to buy the turbo anyway... stupid me... so turbo has less then 4000kms on it, so I reached out to the guy that sold me the turbo.... and he is trying to say it’s “foreign object damage” and “no warranty”.... states it could have been something from my motor came out and hit the turbine wheel.... yet the motor still runs drives and cruises perfectly fine... no damage in the compressor side AT ALL. I’m majorly pissed off/upset... with the money and time I’ve put into this build as I rightfully should be... any advice or thoughts would gratefully be appreciate... exclude comments of how dumb I was. I’m kicking myself in the ass as we speak.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Hey thanks for sharing your experience for folks getting into this platform like myself. Sorry to hear w/ only 4K on it.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
bought used? DBV2 is usually really good at helping people out when their turbos pop, which is very frequent. I know people that have had up to 3 replaced (fool me once, shame on you...). Nevertheless, sorry to hear about ANOTHER DBV2 failure.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Sad post: so yesturday was doing a pull in second, shifted to third, no boost... took the car home thinking a hose popped off or something, checked all hoses and vacuum lines, everything was fine. Took my gti to my shop and pull the intake and down pipe off, compressor side looked perfectly fine, was really happy about that.... then the terrible news, check the exhaust turbine, fins on the exhaust turbine broken... turbo is a dbv2 v2 journal bearing is38 hybrid... I know some people in this group are not fond with dbv2... as I am not anymore. I was told to be careful with dbv2 and I opted to buy the turbo anyway... stupid me... so turbo has less then 4000kms on it, so I reached out to the guy that sold me the turbo.... and he is trying to say it’s “foreign object damage” and “no warranty”.... states it could have been something from my motor came out and hit the turbine wheel.... yet the motor still runs drives and cruises perfectly fine... no damage in the compressor side AT ALL. I’m majorly pissed off/upset... with the money and time I’ve put into this build as I rightfully should be... any advice or thoughts would gratefully be appreciate... exclude comments of how dumb I was. I’m kicking myself in the ass as we speak.

Foreign object damage lol.. I've heard that before. That's just the turbo people trying to escape having to warranty it.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
bought used? DBV2 is usually really good at helping people out when their turbos pop, which is very frequent. I know people that have had up to 3 replaced (fool me once, shame on you...). Nevertheless, sorry to hear about ANOTHER DBV2 failure.
i guess youre the guy to talk to if someone want to hear about popped turbos... don't you know up to 3 people that had eqts pop too.

I have a Loba LO462-E888 hybrid, and it seems hard to find info on any failures but that's probably cause its hard to find anyone running one of them either, haha

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
How often to dbv2 fail? I thought they were pretty bulletproof

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Damn, sorry to hear of the failure. It sounds like the same thing that happened to Twist. Do you have any photos?

Navi

Autocross Champion

do a compression test, scope it, oil analysis etc.. send it to the guy and ask him if the engine is fine, what could have broke inside and gone through the turbo