GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daytime running lights standard by 2011 in EUROPE

rfteam

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW EOS
All new vehicles will be equipped with dedicated daytime running lights from 2011 to increase road safety, the European Commission has decided. Dedicated daytime running lights are special lamps which are automatically switched on when the engine is started. The EU Commission claims that daytime running light substantially increase the visibility of motor vehicles to other road users and have a low energy consumption compared to existing dipped-beam head lamps.

EU Vice President Günter Verheugen, who is responsible for enterprise and industry policy, said: "the introduction of daytime running lights for cars, trucks and buses makes them more visible, which will increase road safety. This will make a positive contribution to our goal of reducing fatalities on European roads whilst being more fuel efficient then existing lights."

The directive adopted by the EC foresees that from February 7, 2011 onwards all new types of cars and small delivery vans will have to be equipped with daytime running lights. Trucks and buses will follow 18 months later in August 2012.

On vehicles equipped with daytime running lights, the lights are automatically switched on when the engine is started. When it is dark the driver has to switch on the driving lights manually. In this case the daytime running lights go off automatically.

Source : http://www.galwayindependent.com/motoring/motoring/daytime-running-lights-standard-by-2011/

Do they believe that having DRL's will reduce accidents ?!

v-dub89

Go Kart Champion
That's good. I really believe DRL's make vehicles more visible.

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
It's true, they've done studies and when cars have drl's on, theyre more visible to other drivers and it reduces accidents. I'm not about to go looking for the studies seeing as I just woke up...but yes, it does, on paper, reduce accidents.

Whiteboy88

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 VW GTI DSG
It's true, they've done studies and when cars have drl's on, theyre more visible to other drivers and it reduces accidents. I'm not about to go looking for the studies seeing as I just woke up...but yes, it does, on paper, reduce accidents.

x2 i read up on that too.. and if the drls look like the audi ones id love to have some too ! im not looking for it either.. im avoiding my hangover

yg17

Ready to race!
Yeah, I've got nothing against DRLs. I think they're a decent solution to the problem of drivers who are too lazy and/or stupid to turn on their headlights when it's raining or dark outside. Obviously, not letting these people drive would be the best solution, but realistically, DRLs are good.

Whiteboy88

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 VW GTI DSG
Yeah, I've got nothing against DRLs. I think they're a decent solution to the problem of drivers who are too lazy and/or stupid to turn on their headlights when it's raining or dark outside. Obviously, not letting these people drive would be the best solution, but realistically, DRLs are good.

ahahahahaha, top mounted gun turret is also a great solution that ive been trying to get on my car for a while now

yg17

Ready to race!
ahahahahaha, top mounted gun turret is also a great solution that ive been trying to get on my car for a while now

I think we should have trained snipers on every highway overpass and the second they see brake lights on the highway when it's not necessary, they take out the driver of that vehicle.

Whiteboy88

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 VW GTI DSG
I think we should have trained snipers on every highway overpass and the second they see brake lights on the highway when it's not necessary, they take out the driver of that vehicle.

ahahahahhahhah. god i hate when ppl break for no reason .. reasons for rush hour... if every one drove the given speed we wouldn't be stuck in traffic makes me so sad cause to do anything in miami between the hours of 7-9 am and 12-130pm and 3-7 on a week day it will take you over an hour to get to the place

Adv4nc3r_Mk5

VW obsessed
Car(s)
VW Golf mkv
there is already a law in most countries that u have to drive with your lights on all year, incl. mine country. MKVI is already equiped with DRLs and for a small fee dealers can fit it to mkv as well

yg17

Ready to race!
well, they enable lights to turn on automatically when u start your engine, which needs different light switch i suppose as well

No, it just needs to be programmed with a vagcom. DRLs are on when your car is running and your headlight switch is in the off position (and when your handbrake isn't up)