GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash question

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Was just in the middle of changing out my interior dome lights, and saw this little guy. I have seen the dash tray installs, and it does look similar to the screw cover. But this looks different, like a sensor or something. Can anyone confirm that? Thanks!

btw: MKV GTi, with the leather, sunroof, and heated seats if that helps. Also had the MFD2 radio all stock.

Attachments

• !.jpg
    !.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 505

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
That is what I was wondering. As of now, no, I have the normal headlight switch (on, off, fogs). I saw this piece and was curious if it came on my car.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Aww snap. That's what I had figured but got slightly optimistic thinking it could be more. Thank you all for the help!

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I believe the climate control system determines if there is a sensor in that position.
With Climatic, as noted above, it is a dummy. With Climatronic, it houses the sun load sensor.
OP, model year would indicate which climate control system you have.
On US mk5 GTi, Climatronic was only offered in 2006 and 2007 model years
and only as part of option package 2 which included leather, etc.
2008+ option package 2 was replaced by the Autobahn package
which is leather, etc without Climatronic - Climatic instead.

And auto headlights are part of package that includes a
combination rain/light sensor mounted to the windshield
and an auto-dimming interior rear view mirror that houses the sensor in its base.
In US a5g GOLF mk5s, that combination was only found stock on US '08 r32 cars
and was not an option on any other US mk5 Golf bodied variant.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
I believe the climate control system determines if there is a sensor in that position.
With Climatic, as noted above, it is a dummy. With Climatronic, it houses the sun load sensor.
OP, model year would indicate which climate control system you have.
On US mk5 GTi, Climatronic was only offered in 2006 and 2007 model years
and only as part of option package 2 which included leather, etc.
2008+ option package 2 was replaced by the Autobahn package
which is leather, etc without Climatronic - Climatic instead.

And auto headlights are part of package that includes a
combination rain/light sensor mounted to the windshield
and an auto-dimming interior rear view mirror that houses the sensor in its base.
In US a5g GOLF mk5s, that combination was only found stock on US '08 r32 cars
and was not an option on any other US mk5 Golf bodied variant.

Great info sir! Thank you! I have the '06 version with package 2 (leather, sunroof, heated seats). Thank you for the great information!

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
:wink:
Great info sir! Thank you! I have the '06 version with package 2 (leather, sunroof, heated seats). Thank you for the great information!
So then for you it is not a dummy, you have Climatronic and that is the sun load sensor.

Ohh, and our cars were delivered practically identical,
although I did replace the windshiled with an r32 version and
added the rain/light sensor and auto-dimming rear view mirror :wink:

iowarabbit

cornfed.
Car(s)
07K '09 Audi TT
yep, it's part of the climatronic system but from what i've read it doesn't do much. people with climatronic have installed dash trays and tucked the sensor into the dash without noticing a difference. :iono:

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
:wink:So then for you it is not a dummy, you have Climatronic and that is the sun load sensor.

Ohh, and our cars were delivered practically identical,
although I did replace the windshiled with an r32 version and
added the rain/light sensor and auto-dimming rear view mirror :wink:

Hey Dataton, Nice mod! Sourcing the windshield and mirror seem easy enough, but did you have any wiring craziness for that, or did the GTI harness cover it? Also, any VCDS action on that? I have put up with that stock mirror without the auto-dimming for 5 years. I'm ready to get that functionality back, and this mod never occurred to me! :drool:

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Hey Dataton, Nice mod! Sourcing the windshield and mirror seem easy enough, but did you have any wiring craziness for that, or did the GTI harness cover it? Also, any VCDS action on that? I have put up with that stock mirror without the auto-dimming for 5 years. I'm ready to get that functionality back, and this mod never occurred to me! :drool:
Yes, there are some settings that are adjusted with VAG-COM to make it work.
Had to build my own harness when I did this. Here are all the parts (and part numbers) involved.

Rain/light sensor in place on the r32 windshield (auto dim mirror harness visible, sensor harness is connected and obscured by the wiring conduit trim)

do not have the part number on this switch, easy enough to find though

Since I had done the task, Kufatec started offering a harness for this retrofit. Rainsensing Interior Mirror - Harness - Golf 5 V

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Thank you for taking the time to post all of that. Very very cool mod. I get a new windshield every 18 months or so. Im going to tackle this on the next replacement.