GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daks' GTI

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I would consider them completely different products that could be better depending on what you want from them. I wouldn't expect that B6 (Damptronics or not) and B16s are generally cross shopped. They only happen to be similar cost because you'd be getting B6 damptronics.

Before retrofitting DCC I ran B8s with lowering springs, then B6s with stock springs. I never once considered the B16s. Even assuming the softest B16 settings are as soft as the B6s I had no intention of making height/settings adjustments.

I ultimately did the DCC retrofit because I wasn't willing to give up my soft Golf ride for the (then) once a month canyon runs, where some stiffness is appreciated. If DCC retrofit had not been an option I would still be on B6s.
Typically the adjustable (compression/dampening) versions of struts shocks can actually be adjusted to be even softer than thier counterpart option of the non adj. cause with the non they have to tune them to that middle ground stiffness to “work” for multiple users and uses.

In my adjustable bags and coilovers you can get them so soft that you are essentially underdamping the spring rates and will make for a rather soft ride just on hard bumps or big bumps it gets crashy or floaty depending on the case.

I’d think the damptronics versions can get pretty close to the same feel as a b16 dialed in to a users preferred settings, but it just depends on how much you actually plan to utilize the electric adjustments from the driver seat.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I have scheduled time at the shop to get things installed. I'd love to do it myself, but life is just a little too busy these days; had knee surgery last week to clean up an old injury, starting a company with a few of the boys, toddler, no garage. Shop it is - I'll do some more stuff that will give me ample bonding time with the GTI in the summer. So, what's going in:
  • New Strut Mounts
  • Bilstein B6 Damptronic Dampers
  • H&R Rear sway with Moog Endlinks
  • Whiteline Front sway with Whiteline endlinks
  • BFI Control arms with solid rubber bushings
Next week I'll take it to an exhaust shop to fix the rattle in the valve - may remove the valve altogether as I like the way it sounds with the valve open.

End of April I will get new rubber.

I'm pretty excited, I think the car will feel like new with all the suspension work done - since the misfire was solved, it pulls like a freight train.

It's turning out to be a pretty complete car.
Best of luck with it!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If I balled on the daks level I would just do some ohlins R&T or kw v3 even st xta3….

Now that I think of it, it’s HPA an easy dealer for you to get stuff from, they have kw,st, and thier own line that’s a kw product, But that’s pretty much kw v1 I think with what I heard was softer dampening for a good price point.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'm completely fucking lost with what to do now.

AJ - I don't ball that hard, just above average.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm completely fucking lost with what to do now.

AJ - I don't ball that hard, just above average.
For a cheaper just set height and forget about messing with compression & rebound set up that will still provide quality and be in the CA world…

https://www.hpamotorsports.com/coll...coilovers-for-vw-mk7-golf-r-gti-audi-8v-a3-s3

With sway bars front and back it’s already going to feel new and flat in the curves so something with a stiffer springs will just allow you to get a nicer looking stance. If you don’t care about the stance looks, then I can see stock springs and simple dampers would still be a worthwhile upgrade for you still with out the same high cost to play

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
and what was the reason you didn't consider FA coilovers? Do they not ship to Canada?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
cause I just emailed them and they do.....now exchange rate is another story

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
B6's and H&R OE springs. Approved?
Why not Koni special active with those springs?

I can only comment on the Vogtland club kit I have been running for 3 years now but they have performed great and hold up to the abusive shitty roads I drive, much better than the rest of the car. 960654 is the PN for my car that is only 20mm lower.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Why not Koni special active with those springs?

I can only comment on the Vogtland club kit I have been running for 3 years now but they have performed great and hold up to the abusive shitty roads I drive, much better than the rest of the car. 960654 is the PN for my car that is only 20mm lower.
DCC - I have to get deletes.