GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Customs fees?

gh172

Ready to race!
Just wanted to know if someone could clear this up for me as I've read conflicting information on this subject.
When buying goods from overseas I'm aware that taxes and duties are added when your order exceeds AUD$1000.
Is the $1000 dollar threshold on the purchase price only, or does it include the purchase price and shipping combined?

When splitting orders in the hope of avoiding such taxes, would 1 week be long enough in between deliveries ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,
cheers.

triode12

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to know if someone could clear this up for me as I've read conflicting information on this subject.
When buying goods from overseas I'm aware that taxes and duties are added when your order exceeds AUD$1000.
Is the $1000 dollar threshold on the purchase price only, or does it include the purchase price and shipping combined?

When splitting orders in the hope of avoiding such taxes, would 1 week be long enough in between deliveries ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,
cheers.

It should include shipping AFAIK. That is what I was told by customs anyway but from my experience seems to be arbitrary, sometimes they count the shipping towards the total, sometimes not.

I would send the 2nd package to a different address and have it addressed to someone else. They do track packages and if they find you have two packages coming from the same source, they may tax you for the two combined.

Booba

Ready to race!
Officially the $1000 does not including shipping as that is not part of the cost of goods and they go on the daily exchange rate.

aussiegti

VW pumping thru my veins
Most of the time, it does go by the "description" and "declared value" of the goods (without much scrutiny).

Unless yours is picked up by Wally in there chasing that ellusive "employee of the month" box of krispy kreme donuts, you'll be surprised how easy samples just pass straight through!

So I'd be asking the seller to ship me "samples" (if I was you). :wink:

Last edited:

gh172

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, I had ordered wheels from the UK that were under the $1000 mark but were over once shipping was included. I arranged splitting the order in two after reading people here had done that before. On further reading I became unsure of exactly what the threshold included, hence my reason for posting the question myself. Maybe a little late in hindsight! I have now emailed the supplier in the hope he will credit me for the separate shipping costs and deliver them all at once. My initial order was on Friday so might still be a chance. Thanks for the replies.

TimT

Go Kart Champion
if the declared value is under $1000 you should be fine. Even if the shipping cost brings it over the $1000 point.

I think where the confusion comes in is that if the declared value of the goods exceeds $1000 then you also pay GST on the shipping component. Not just on the item.

mickyg1969

The value of the goods needs to be under A$1000. Duty and gst are calculated in the following way

cv = customs value(in A$ dollars) x duty rate
GST = Customs value + duty component + shipping/insurance costs. x gst rate of 10%

Total duty and Gst = these 2 figures combined.

If under $50 in total, customs will not collect.

Cant remember the duty rates at last guess, as l have been out of the industry for 2 years..

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
I just paid an additional $450-ish on a set of coilovers worth around $3k.
HOSED.

Customs Duty $125
Import Dec N10 Air Charge $40
GST $284
AQIS entry charges $15

I couldn't get these quoted at under $1k given they were in one box, but as you can see... it is certainly worth splitting the shipping if you/vendor are willing to do it.

Booba

Ready to race!
aka. FRAUD.. do what you have to do to save money i guess but people need to know that this is technically defaruding the commonwealth government.

I also hate gst and tax but I guess at times you have it pay it.

I couldn't get these quoted at under $1k given they were in one box, but as you can see... it is certainly worth splitting the shipping if you/vendor are willing to do it.

FJ_Steve

Age shall not weary him
gh172...you wanna send 2 wheels to my address (if the whole exercise is "close" to magic $1k)

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
aka. FRAUD.. do what you have to do to save money i guess but people need to know that this is technically defaruding the commonwealth government.

I also hate gst and tax but I guess at times you have it pay it.

Sure is, but that is the risk you take.
I paid it and haven't defrauded anyone.
I wasn't prepared to reduce the value of my shipment as I'd have significantly reduced insurance. Didn't even try.
Don't actually have to defend my comments but thanks for making me feel like I do.

It's bullshit to pay GST on a product that wasn't (and wouldn't be) bought from a local vendor.

Booba

Ready to race!
sorry i didn't mean to target you and probably the quote didn't need to be done.

I an just saying under declaring is fraud and you miss out on the insurance as well if it gets lost.

triode12

Go Kart Champion
sorry i didn't mean to target you and probably the quote didn't need to be done.

I an just saying under declaring is fraud and you miss out on the insurance as well if it gets lost.

That sounds more reasonable.

I thought you were referring to splitting up the shipment which didn't make sense.

gh172

Ready to race!
gh172...you wanna send 2 wheels to my address (if the whole exercise is "close" to magic $1k)

Thanks for the offer Steve, very kind mate. I have arranged shipment to my place with one order as the value of my wheels are under $1000.