GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom seat adjustment

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Alright guys, I'm 5'7" with semi-short legs and a tall torso. This particular configuration forces me to sit somewhat close to the pedals with the rear of the seat raised up two or three 'pulls'. Sitting like so makes me feel too tall...I prefer the sensation of sitting 'in' a car, with the windowsills near my shoulders, etc.

I used to own an S2000, which had the same problem (and no adjustments on the steering wheel). I was able to remove the driver seat, disassemble it and modify the metal seat pan / cushion to lower the seat around 1.5". I am wondering if there's a way to lower the front of the GTI seat an inch or so? I don't mind bringing out the hammer if necessary...

Below are the instructions on lowering the S2000 seats so you may see what I went through for just a couple inches....it makes a world of difference!

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50658

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Thanks for you well-thought-out reply! Although, I do know all of it already (have owned many performance vehicles and ahve done much performnce driving, both sanctioned and not).

I'll try and better explain my problem. When my seat is adjusted to where I feel comfortable with the pedals, steering wheel, and backrest, I get the feeling that I'm too high up in the vehicle because the window sills are down near my elbows, and I must reach downward for the shift knob. If I lower the seat with the factory adjustment (pump handle on the side), it lowers only the rear of the seat bottom and not the front, which causes my legs to come back ever so slightly. This cause-effect motion requires me to scoot the seat forward just a little bit, which then makes me uncomfortable with the steering wheel.

If I could lower the front of the seat (either permanently or as an adjustment) all my issues would be solved.