GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom GTI rear bumper...filled exhaust cut outs and 3M carbon wrap

m8rksimons

Work in progress ....
I got hold of a fully painted Golf GTI rear bumper....I didn't like the fact the whole of the lower valence was painted and I didn't want to go own the new twin tip exhaust backbox (My GT TDI has discreet tips) so I got creative!

The carbon is 3M di noc carbon vinyl.

Here is a shot from the front, you can just about see the 3m carbon wrapped VW badge

Last edited:

PenAcow

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 gti mk5
wow ...so fresh so clean ......any tips on filling the cutout ? what materials did you use ?

m8rksimons

Work in progress ....
I blanked the cut out with flexible plastic sheet and wrapped over the top, turned out ok... I havn't seen anyone else do this on the net....think i'm the 1st!!

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
so you just have plastic and vinyl stretched over the hole? I bet its going to stretch from catching the wind while driving

m8rksimons

Work in progress ....
Its a 2mm approx plastic sheet that I heated and shaped to follow the curve of the bumper, fixed to the bumper with 3m double sided automotive tape then covered with the vinyl wrap. Its been on for a couple of 50 mile journeys, doing 80mph ...fingers crossed it'll stay on!

PenAcow

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 gti mk5
do you have any pics of the process ?

m8rksimons

Work in progress ....
No pics unfortunatly, just as was applying the vinyl I thought that i should have taken Pics of each stage.

Golf-V-GT

Burn the lies
Its a 2mm approx plastic sheet that I heated and shaped to follow the curve of the bumper, fixed to the bumper with 3m double sided automotive tape then covered with the vinyl wrap. Its been on for a couple of 50 mile journeys, doing 80mph ...fingers crossed it'll stay on!

i think your problem will not be the speed,but the heat !
if it wont hold up,go and get some window-glue.this stuff your front window is fixed.
Mounted my GTI trunk Spoiler last week with it...now its unremovable :D