GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: How Dare You Recommend The Right Tool For The Job!

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
the good thing is, the path to a fully electric car future is not going to happen based on a number of reasons:

There is not enough lithium and supporting rare earth metals in known reserves to make everyone one car, one time
Let alone enough to replace every car (or its battery) every 5-10 years moving forward
Even if there were enough reserves known, replacing the entire auto industry with EV would be a mining effort that far exceeds the current production rate (by like 5-10X). Its impossible.
Mining the materials, transporting them, refining them, producing parts, assembling cars, shipping cars, junking old cars, supporting infrastructure for the new cars - is an absolute carbon negative, especially with how bad (but good) our current natural gas power systems are which would charge them.
If all car were EV our cost of electricity would skyrocket and demand would not be achievable. Currently we produce enough power to meet demand but not by a large margin.
People rarely buy brand new cars and at the price EV's are going for this will become more apparent if they became the only options. So many people can barely afford a $5k shitbox as is.

All this aside, the 'green' market is chasing the paper 'green' and will try hard as hell to make this happen, and when it fails, people will have bought 60k electric paper weights and we will go back to fully gas cars, unless some seriously major improvements are made in the EV efficiency (in terms of what materials are needed to produce them).

I think currently the best and most realistic thing we can expect to see if more hybrids / range extenders - for the consumers, anyway. but thats not as profitable for the 'green' market.
You bring up a lot of valid points. I would like to point out that lithium battery tech isn't the only one out there, and we're working on other options. But we'd definitely need to work on improving our power grid, which has been getting neglected for ages. There's a lot of infrastructure that needs attention, I know bridges are another big one. The fact that EVs are all luxo-barges with passenger-rimming seats and seating for 48 people really, in my opinion, only further spotlights the growing disparity between the rich and poor, and the shrinking middle class. But that gets us dangerously close to rule #2 violation, so I'm going to leave it there.

If someone as dumb as me could prepare an easy solution that solved all the world's problems, we'd have done it by now.

why would you need a manual in an electric

i too am a massive fan of hybrids/plug in hybrids.

because three pedals is three times as fun

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
the good thing is, the path to a fully electric car future is not going to happen based on a number of reasons:

There is not enough lithium and supporting rare earth metals in known reserves to make everyone one car, one time
Let alone enough to replace every car (or its battery) every 5-10 years moving forward
Even if there were enough reserves known, replacing the entire auto industry with EV would be a mining effort that far exceeds the current production rate (by like 5-10X). Its impossible.
Mining the materials, transporting them, refining them, producing parts, assembling cars, shipping cars, junking old cars, supporting infrastructure for the new cars - is an absolute carbon negative, especially with how bad (but good) our current natural gas power systems are which would charge them.
If all car were EV our cost of electricity would skyrocket and demand would not be achievable. Currently we produce enough power to meet demand but not by a large margin.
People rarely buy brand new cars and at the price EV's are going for this will become more apparent if they became the only options. So many people can barely afford a $5k shitbox as is.

All this aside, the 'green' market is chasing the paper 'green' and will try hard as hell to make this happen, and when it fails, people will have bought 60k electric paper weights and we will go back to fully gas cars, unless some seriously major improvements are made in the EV efficiency (in terms of what materials are needed to produce them).

I think currently the best and most realistic thing we can expect to see if more hybrids / range extenders - for the consumers, anyway. but thats not as profitable for the 'green' market.

Can we get a 25 page dissertation on this?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

right - it took all of the last ~150 years to build our current entire infrasturcture - building, housing, roads, power grids, so much more - and it has all been based on cheap, easy to transport fossil fuel. We hit peak oil extaction in 2019 and have been coasting on reserves ever since. once the fossil fuel is gone, its gone. and if we use ~40% of all that remains trying to build one round of 'electric' power grids and cars, which will not last longer than 20 years, we are absolutely fucked. not that we arent anyway, but still

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Can we get a 25 page dissertation on this?
i could, but i would mostly be regurgitating things ive read and podcasts listened to.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
i really hate this dynamic of being the thread OP that everyone posts in everyday but hates me and misses the old OP of the locked thread lol

no one hates you in actuality.

The french chips got it. I don't think anybody actually hates you. Most people here still interact with the old OP of the locked thread daily in the pedochat discord. People dislike that what was going to be the biggest thread on the forum got locked for asinine reasons. Don't take it personal, it's nothing about you.

Obligatory "holy n00b".

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
For 99% of my driving an electric would be fine. The occasional road trip I see a future where either EV range/charging has improved or renting an ICE. I am a late adopter and don't change just to change. EV's are still kinda early technology for me much of it will depend on how long I live/drive. I tend to keep my cars a long time if that holds true and in 10 years when I normally would be considering a replacement for the GTI (w/o some extenuating circumstance) I can see buying an EV. This is assuming my already 17 YO Taco is still running for distance road trips and I only put about 2-3K year miles on it. I would like to still have a Sunday "go to picnic/car shows" vehicle but a EV for DD dutys, truck for truck stuff and road trips, something fun for ice-cream runs......

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
The french chips got it. I don't think anybody actually hates you. Most people here still interact with the old OP of the locked thread daily in the pedochat discord. People dislike that what was going to be the biggest thread on the forum got locked for asinine reasons. Don't take it personal, it's nothing about you.

Obligatory "holy n00b".
I'm half scared to go to the discord because name 😶‍🌫️ I don't wanna get kidnapped

also no clue why our old thread got locked

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
For 99% of my driving an electric would be fine. The occasional road trip I see a future where either EV range/charging has improved or renting an ICE. I am a late adopter and don't change just to change. EV's are still kinda early technology for me much of it will depend on how long I live/drive. I tend to keep my cars a long time if that holds true and in 10 years when I normally would be considering a replacement for the GTI (w/o some extenuating circumstance) I can see buying an EV. This is assuming my already 17 YO Taco is still running for distance road trips and I only put about 2-3K year miles on it. I would like to still have a Sunday "go to picnic/car shows" vehicle but a EV for DD dutys, truck for truck stuff and road trips, something fun for ice-cream runs......
Exactly my plan. I really hope to keep the GTI long-term (read: until my body is too broken to use the clutch), we're currently a 3-car family and I don't know that we're ever shrinking that number at all, though it might stay 3 instead of rising (again). Lots of things to consider, ultimately I just want to keep having fun working on stuff with people I like spending time with.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I mean tbh, I kind of hate what SUVs represent. I'd venture as far as to say they're the antithesis to performance driving, and it doesn't help that most of the time they're basically a rocket couch on wheels, with people who can't be bothered to look up from their phones to avoid hitting others on the road.

I'm sure I sound like a typical Miata person, and I say the above as someone who's likely buying an SUV out of necessity, but man if it's not frustrating sometimes.
It was fun to drive but some of the tech stuff was weird. I didn't understand why there was no on/off button. You have to go on the screen and scroll down all the way to shut the thing off.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'm half scared to go to the discord because name 😶‍🌫️ I don't wanna get kidnapped

also no clue why our old thread got locked
Idk, pretty sure it's some stupid drama that no ones really talked about. I can only guess what it was about and if I'm right it's so dumb.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Just picking on this part, as the rest is valid. This largely isn't true anywhere in PJM (the area Jay would call "Boston"). We have a huge amount of reserve generating capacity and the difference between daytime peak demand and base load (min demand at night) is massive. Most people would charge overnight, meaning load following units would be able to bid into the power market as base load instead, at a much lower price than they do now. The actual difficult part is public fast chargers; the charging stations can't buy power at a fixed rate like we do at home, they will have to buy at real time commercial power market rates and will start live pricing updates to ensure they don't get screwed. That's fine in the evening when the market rate is $0.10/kwh ($10 to fill a big battery car), but it's going to be a real problem on a hot summer day when prices crest $3/kwh ($300 for that same car), which happens regularly.

If you're Texas or California, uhhh, good luck...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

Obligatory "holy n00b".
Nah he's lying.

Take it personally.

We talk about you behind your back in the discord pedochat all day long.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Idk, pretty sure it's some stupid drama that no ones really talked about. I can only guess what it was about and if I'm right it's so dumb.
Ugly got mad that I said he's a dick to me in general which he called friendly banter and stopped updating the titles. That's the reason. If rice stopped updating titles there would be a csb4, pretty simple.

We all bicker with each other from time to time. I have no hard feelings to ugly

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'm only gonna use the discord once this place is gone. I never wanted it to replace the forum. I only wanted a place for us to go when this forum is inevitably shut down with no notice. I got a different discord group I sit in all day and I don't care for constantly swapping between groups and different channels within the group.