GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
#thanksflorida

CSB, not my story. This happened to someone i knew growing up.

Imagine you're 16, and you're going in for your driving test. they have you driving around residential neighborhood after getting off a 4 lane main road. they have you turn onto this main road, which comes in at a sort of diagonal to the main road, to merge in. you get hit in the process because the other drvier was texting while driving. the instructor gets out and just walks back to the DMV without saying a word. you get to deal with the other driver, the police, and insurance companies. i forget the outcome but what kind of DMV person, who i think may have been a cop or something, just leaves?
lol, That person hated their job. I barely passed my driving test just because of the eye exam. My instructor was sick and didn't feel good, and for some reason instead of failing me so she could go home she kept giving me chance after chance. I couldn't see the letters on the eye exam and I just kept guessing. I'd get one right and she'd say Yup and then I'd move onto the next one. Eventually I got them all and then I got to do the driving test. I felt kinda bad when I had to go 20mph and come to a stop as quickly as possible. She didn't like that one.

The test I took was the same test my mom took like 16-17 years before, so she kinda prepared me for it. There's a yield that gets most people and one that she screwed up, so I was ready for it.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
#thanksflorida

CSB, not my story. This happened to someone i knew growing up.

Imagine you're 16, and you're going in for your driving test. they have you driving around residential neighborhood after getting off a 4 lane main road. they have you turn onto this main road, which comes in at a sort of diagonal to the main road, to merge in. you get hit in the process because the other drvier was texting while driving. the instructor gets out and just walks back to the DMV without saying a word. you get to deal with the other driver, the police, and insurance companies. i forget the outcome but what kind of DMV person, who i think may have been a cop or something, just leaves?
the fuck? thats crazy man lol. Meanwhile the 16 year old is there without a license saying "like, my driver DMV guy was just here I swear..."

scrllock

Autocross Champion
when i did mine 20 years ago the parking lot stuff was separate from the moving exam. not sure why. but either way, the parking shit was harder than the drive, had to parallel park some big dodge truck. I'd video tape it just in case my kid dinged someone just to embarrass them with forever.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'm always astonished that:
a. You only ever get tested once (both written and driving)
and
b. The passing score is less than like 98%. What if the couple things you don't know are "red means stop" or "traffic entering the circle always yields". You are almost guaranteed to cause an accident, but hey 85% is good enough. Good luck out there!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I am astonished that regular drivers license is not like the cdl test. If you take the test in an automatic , then you are restricted to an automatic . Also, everyone should have to take the test in a manual.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
my driving test was much more involved than 5mph parking in a parking lot only lol.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Made some HelloFresh meal for lunch today. Not bad. Fried fish with potatoes and slaw, "southern style" which means they included chili, old bay, 4 packets of sour cream and told me to add a lot of salt and butter. I used yogurt, didn't add any salt or butter and it's still not bad. I have 100000 free box codes if someone wants to try 3-4 meals from them.
I made those for a couple weeks. Ended up canceling, the food was alright i just didnt have the time to make it all the time and i ended up havings meals going bad before i could use them... Over all a great meal service if you have the time

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I am astonished that regular drivers license is not like the cdl test. If you take the test in an automatic , then you are restricted to an automatic . Also, everyone should have to take the test in a manual.
Agreed. Your license is good for any car, so you should have to prove you can drive any car. Also, there should be a separate license for vehicles over like 5,000lbs. Just because you can purchase a Ram 3500 dually doesn't mean you have any business operating it on the road.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I still make fun of people who modify their automatics 🤷

But really I don't care what people do to their cars. It's just having fun
My DSG used to smoke all the manuals in the area *shrugs*

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Mine we went out on the main road, had a parking lot portion, and other confined course area where you had to back up and around turns, do a k turn. We probably never got above 35mph though but def more than a parking lot test. Granted i took my test 14 years ago now.
my driving test was much more involved than 5mph parking in a parking lot only lol.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
CSB: I never took a road test or a written test (in the DMV) when I got my license. We had a drivers ed class in high school that consisted of us taking a scantron test in the classroom and driving around a school parking lot in cars that had two brake pedals (one on the passenger side as well).

There was just one instructor so each car was full of students with no supervision. Terrible idea. We invited a game in my car where you yell "WHIPLASH" and slam the brake from the passenger side while someone else is driving. We did it enough times the instructor ran over to us, put a traffic cone on the hood, and told us if it falls off we all fail the class. The cars never left the parking lot, our only road experience was confirmed by a little yellow piece of paper that my parents signed to say they supervised me on the road. I got my license without ever having driven on the road with an instructor.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I failed drivers ed in high school. I just really hated that class. The teacher was a coach that couldn't have cared less about his classes. Being a coach was #1. He used the students to run his errands every day. He had me pick up his dry cleaning once.

Status
Not open for further replies.