GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant on cold morning

A1Drewski

Go Kart Newbie
This week we have had a few mornings where the temp was below 40 (according to the MFD). Each of those mornings the car freaked out and told me to shut the engine off and check the coolant. I checked and the coolant was just a little below the minimum line, but it would go back up to the normal range when the engine and outdoor temp went up.

I am going to try and get some coolant tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced this?

BlAcKwIdOw29

3124/5000
Sounds kinda weird to me I would just keep a close eye on it. I mean my coolant was low the other morning and the low coolant message came on. So I drove it a little bit and checked the level & it came up a little after it warmed up. So I just topped it off and now keeping an eye on it :smile:

Shoof

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
I've had my car for about 14 months now and have to top off the coolant every few weeks or so. After quite a few runs to the dealer and them running a battery of tests checking the vaccuum/Pressure came up with nothing. Everything is fine, they flushed out the system, there is no vaccuum leak, loss of pressure, leaks anywhere around the engine room or under the car when it's parked somewhere. Nobody can figure it out. I took the car to my friend to do some maintenance work on the car and the car's coolant sensor came on saying to check the coolant (I'm so used to this already. It was about a quarter of an inch under the "min" line, so I topped it off to the top of the shaded area where it tells you the coolant should be, drove the car back home, it was parked up all week and I brought it back to my friend again to have the tires changed (ordered 2 tires last week due to road hazard damage), got into the car this morning and the damn coolant warning came on yet again. I opened up the hood and saw the coolant was again, about a quarter of an inch under the "min" line. I filled it up yet again, but this time a lot more, about half of the reservoir is filled now, let's see what happens this time. I haven't been driving it much (maybe 5x in the last 3 mos) because I've been enjoying the summer and the remaining time I have with my Honda S2000 before that lease it up in 10 days. Then i'll be back to full time use on the GTI. Even when driving it all month/year long I still had this problem, so it definately has nothing to do with it being parked up for days/weeks at a time.

9Schnell

Euro-Elitist
Car(s)
2010 CC Lux
Just top that ish off to the G12 mark, you'll be gtg.

Shoof

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Totally normal, don't worry about it. Just top it off with G12 or distilled water ONLY.

Normal to have to top off the coolant every 2 weeks? Are you nuts?

Mr. Perkins

Suck it Trebek
Normal to have to top off the coolant every 2 weeks? Are you nuts?

Who said every two weeks? The OP said "on a few mornings when it was cold out" the low coolant light came on, but he never added coolant. So until he added coolant I would expect the light to come on when it's cold because the colder the coolant is, the less space it occupies. If he's right on the edge of the minimum line when it's 60 or so degrees, then yes, it is normal to be below the minimum line when it is sub 40 degrees.

A1Drewski

Go Kart Newbie
Who said every two weeks? The OP said "on a few mornings when it was cold out" the low coolant light came on, but he never added coolant. So until he added coolant I would expect the light to come on when it's cold because the colder the coolant is, the less space it occupies. If he's right on the edge of the minimum line when it's 60 or so degrees, then yes, it is normal to be below the minimum line when it is sub 40 degrees.

That is what I assume the problem is. I will add some G12 (got some this weekend) just to top it off and see how it goes from there.