GOLFMKV

Convincing My mother to get a passat

bdegen94

Ready to race!
Mentioned the nissan got a stern no oh well cant say I did not try

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Mentioned the nissan got a stern no oh well cant say I did not try

Why does she not want to even look? Altima is rated better than the Camry these days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bdegen94

Ready to race!
the best way for me to put it is my mom does not feel at a Nissan is worth it, it comes down to a very biased opinion in which I dont wanna get into, I mentioned it did what I could but I do agree its not a bad car, My ra at school has one and I have driven it and was suprised

misaka

Ready to race!
the best way for me to put it is my mom does not feel at a Nissan is worth it, it comes down to a very biased opinion in which I dont wanna get into, I mentioned it did what I could but I do agree its not a bad car, My ra at school has one and I have driven it and was suprised

If she's making decisions based on labels, she'd probably like a lexus.

If you are even considering the CLA, I'd go with the new A3. It's destroyed the CLA in every review so far. Pricing is great too, especially on a lease. Smaller than passat for sure, but much nicer fit and finish.

pressure drop

Ready to race!
My dealer gives me a Passat loaner whenever I take my GTI in for servicing, and it is seriously the worst midsize sedan of recent years. I would rather drive a new Camry or Sonata than this awful, floaty, boat of a car. Its noticably worse than the Jetta too.

It embarasses the VW name. I would never suggest ANY vw besides golf/gti/r to anyone except for the tdi's.

bdegen94

Ready to race!
My dealer gives me a Passat loaner whenever I take my GTI in for servicing, and it is seriously the worst midsize sedan of recent years. I would rather drive a new Camry or Sonata than this awful, floaty, boat of a car. Its noticably worse than the Jetta too.

It embarasses the VW name. I would never suggest ANY vw besides golf/gti/r to anyone except for the tdi's.

ah i appreciate that what dealer do you use?

A3 might be worth looking at tomorrow dealers all right next to each other.

If you are even considering the CLA, I'd go with the new A3. It's destroyed the CLA in every review so far. Pricing is great too, especially on a lease. Smaller than passat for sure, but much nicer fit and finish.

yeah pretty much doesnt think the nissan is in her social class

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion

Ah yes, the A3. Golf chassis and GTI engine, so GTI problems. With Audi repair prices. Fantastic choice.

bdegen94

Ready to race!
Ah yes, the A3. Golf chassis and GTI engine, so GTI problems. With Audi repair prices. Fantastic choice.

Kinda why I'm hesitant we owned a A6 it didn't have a lot of issues but when it did :mad0259: also general maintenance got pretty costly

Tech72

Ready to race!
Go Accord Sport or Mazda6 GT, the two best "average price" mid size sedans in the NA market.

misaka

Ready to race!

I was thinking this too, but Audi's actual reliability ratings have been above average for a bit, while VW has been below average. Especially on the 2.0T. Over all the most reliable cars are still Lexus, which have the least problems per car. And if you would believe, Porsche is right up there. Current Audis are sadly on average far more reliable than their VW counterparts. (which isn't to say there can be no issues etc) but I would certainly get one with Audicare etc. I guess I'll find out personally and report lol. I'm probably going to order one this weekend. I was pretty impressed with the fit and finish on them. Ride was much nicer too without sport suspension. What surprises me is the 5.4 0-60 and 14.0 1/4 mile stock as tested for C&D... That's Accord V6 levels yo! haha. Actually I think the 220hp must be somewhat conservative. Unless they did some magic with the new AWD system with no parasitic losses... Makes me tempted to wait till Dec and get an S3 instead (since it will actually be the same price lol) If the new GTI and golf R are cut from the same cloth, they're going to be pretty nice.

But in all honesty, If your mom has a bit of badge snobbery... She'll love it... And she'll end up spanking you on the drag strip. Take her for a test drive to see. Residual is so damn high on the A3 right now, You can get a lease for Premium with Navigation, cold weather pack etc for 380$ a month if you pay taxes and fees.

Here's the June Car and Driver comparison test vs the 228i and CLA

Last edited:

jnj2455

Ready to race!
As much as I rip on the Passat for being a land yacht that has lost its ways, I would recommend it over the current Camry. I think I'm very biased now towards German products. However, I think very highly of the new Avalon and have ridden in a few Avalon taxis here in NYC and in Boston and it was a nice, comfortable, quality car. And I love the new GS and IS from Lexus.

Recently, my father was looking at CPOs under 20k and that didn't give us the best options out there. But given the budget, I showed him a plethora of CPO Accords, TSXs, Altimas, Mazda 6, Jettas, B6 Passats, Civics,and CCs. I did forewarn him that getting a German car could end up on either end of the reliability spectrum. He loves to tinker with things and is worried about the reliability of German cars but I think every option I showed him bored him to sleep. He inquired about the new GS but with a $55k price tag, he couldn't afford it.
He ended up buying a heavily discounted new CC one weekend and that was the end of that discussion. I just hope for everybody's sake it doesn't blow up in three years.

My GTI, for the most part, has been decent with reliability. I'm still waiting for the water pump or the turbo to fail but overall, I enjoy driving it each and every time I take it onto the road and that easily outweighs me worrying about reliability. Life is too short. And ultimately that's the bottom line: owner preference and priorities. If I was tied down to a Corolla day in and day out I think I'd just purposely crash it into a telephone pole just to get some excitement out of my day.

bdegen94

Ready to race!
As much as I rip on the Passat for being a land yacht that has lost its ways, I would recommend it over the current Camry. I think I'm very biased now towards German products. However, I think very highly of the new Avalon and have ridden in a few Avalon taxis here in NYC and in Boston and it was a nice, comfortable, quality car. And I love the new GS and IS from Lexus.

Recently, my father was looking at CPOs under 20k and that didn't give us the best options out there. But given the budget, I showed him a plethora of CPO Accords, TSXs, Altimas, Mazda 6, Jettas, B6 Passats, Civics,and CCs. I did forewarn him that getting a German car could end up on either end of the reliability spectrum. He loves to tinker with things and is worried about the reliability of German cars but I think every option I showed him bored him to sleep. He inquired about the new GS but with a $55k price tag, he couldn't afford it.
He ended up buying a heavily discounted new CC one weekend and that was the end of that discussion. I just hope for everybody's sake it doesn't blow up in three years.

My GTI, for the most part, has been decent with reliability. I'm still waiting for the water pump or the turbo to fail but overall, I enjoy driving it each and every time I take it onto the road and that easily outweighs me worrying about reliability. Life is too short. And ultimately that's the bottom line: owner preference and priorities. If I was tied down to a Corolla day in and day out I think I'd just purposely crash it into a telephone pole just to get some excitement out of my day.

Im in the same position I have had no problem, the avalon we need to drive tomorrow will be the A3 BMW X1 CLA 250 shall be a eventful day