GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Component Mounting Depth

CrzySpoolinIndian

What can brown do for you
Hi guys, I have sort of a dilemma on my hands. I realize that the front 6.5in midbass speakers have a shallow mounting depth. I have a pair of elemental designs EDi6500s components that have a 2.8in mounting depth for the mids. I realize I probably wont just be able to drop these in place of the factory speaker. Would i be able to get away with making a spacer and get the speakers to fit and still have enough clearance to put the door panel back on? If i made a spacer, how thick would I have to make it? Thanks a bunch.

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
Hi guys, I have sort of a dilemma on my hands. I realize that the front 6.5in midbass speakers have a shallow mounting depth. I have a pair of elemental designs EDi6500s components that have a 2.8in mounting depth for the mids. I realize I probably wont just be able to drop these in place of the factory speaker. Would i be able to get away with making a spacer and get the speakers to fit and still have enough clearance to put the door panel back on? If i made a spacer, how thick would I have to make it? Thanks a bunch.

No, you will need spacers; there is only some 1.5" of depth available inside the door before hitting the window mechanism. :frown:

CrzySpoolinIndian

No, you will need spacers; there is only some 1.5" of depth available inside the door before hitting the window mechanism. :frown:

So with a spacer, I wont have any clearance issues between the speaker and the door panel going back on?

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
So with a spacer, I wont have any clearance issues between the speaker and the door panel going back on?

No clearance issues. The door panel supports up to a 2" spacer if you remove the OEM cone rings attached to it in the back side of the woofer grill. So in theory -depending of the speaker measuring specs- the door woofer mounting hole could support up to a 3.5" speaker depth with spacers (2" spacers + 1.5" inside door).

Last edited:

CrzySpoolinIndian

No clearance issues. The door panel supports up to a 2" apacer if you remove the OEM cone rings attached to it in the back side of the woofer grill. So in theory -depending of the speaker measuring specs- the door woofer mounting hole could support up to a 3.5" speaker depth with spacers (2" spacers + 1.5" inside door).

That sounds good to me. Thanks alot for the help :biggrin: