GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilovers installation

WankyAndy

Lots of Guys Hate Me
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I've had a professional mechanic workshop, put my head and block back together and forgot to do the timing. What more can I say. I had to put the repair bill and also the bill for the initial job.

A suspension install is very simple to do. All you need is the right tools and a helping hand.

It it was an engine rebuild I'll recommend a trusted professional, if it is a suspension install, you can download plenty of DIY's and torque specifications to do it yourself. But I had a trusted professional do my engine rebuild and look what happened.

Stop trying to scare the poor kid into thinking working on a car requires an IQ of 200 with your hands. It's called Watch and learn very simple. How do you think most mechanics start out? Do they have a mechanically inclined brain the day their born, or to they get trained through trial and error and with the guidance of someone with experience.

In regards to being cautious, then aren't you putting your family at risk every time you drive a car, because you are human, the people driving other cars are human. Would it not be better to just stay at home and be safe?

macad

apple pixel pusher
Do they have a mechanically inclined brain the day their born, or to they get trained through trial and error and with the guidance of someone with experience.

Trial and error is considered training? I think you'll find they're two separate approaches - one is trial and error and one is training. You could also say one is the right way to go or wrong way.

I don't know if you know the story about a death that was caused by a modified car in Perth, the mechanic was found at fault because the modifications that he did were considered dangerous, I work next to a car modification place and he is very cautious about what he can do and what he should do for the same reason - now that is "watch and learn".

When he sells his own car a lot of the go fast bits are taken off, mainly because if it's wrapped around a light pole he doesn't need the knock on the door.

iluvbrownale

White Lightning
I think Jester's main point was this:

there are many things that can go wrong, some more likely than others. For a fairly low cost, why not take all the hassle away? I'm all for saving money (grew up in Yorkshire) but you gotta know your limits. For example, think back to the first time you ever washed a car. Now think back to the last time. How much has changed, how much better are you, how much do you regret the dumb mistakes you madei n the early days. That's all well and good, it's only paint, but suspension, different thing altogether.

Ask Jacques Vee Dub (this forum or the other one) about his install. 4 mechanics with experience (but not on Mk5) found it a very challenging install the first time so what makes anyone think they can do it with an internet DIY? Pkus you're going to have to get the alignment done so factor that cost in. And when the job goes from one day and runs into Monday and you can't get to work because the one tool you bought has just broken, you're going to kick yourself. These random things happen, so leave it to the pro's.

And even if there's a 1% chance that you fuck it up without knowing, and you have suspension failure, you well have the big one. This may, in some people's mind be remote, and it might be, but surely you weigh up saving a few rounds of beer in money against possible death. Seems a fairly cheap way to mitigate chance.

My 5c. Not designed as an argument against the 'for' camp, just what has crossed my own mind.

p.s. were you heading North in Warrawong today at around 6pm?

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
To the OP - if you have the know how and ready access to tools go for it.
If you have the tools but not the know how nor time if you screw up then cough up and get someone to do it.
Just remember that if you get someone to do it and there's a problem you have some recourse to get it fixed (not to mention the insurance issues). If you DIY and stuff up (or worse still have an accident with consequences) then you might not forgive yourself and it would cost you more.

Me - i have the desire but no know-how or time, so i got someome to do mine for me.
There's no problem in "learning" for the mechanic either as long as they are ok with that.

Last edited:

Me!

a happy man...
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi
Guys,

Really appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions. This will be a neverending argument if we carry on anyway. I can understand how each of you have your worries and viewpoints.

It's alike how every Tom, Dick and Harry worries about using replica wheels... Risk? Yes... High consequence? Extremely high... Any known cases of problems? None proven.

But could I change this and make it into a thread to assist me (or others) in coilovers installation instead? In a sense, it's HIGHLY recommended to let it be done by others but if I were to go the DIY route, here's the tips and suggestions...

Who here has done their own coilovers installation? Might be good for those people to comment here.

Now, I've got 2 questions with regards to this:
- VW Tool #3424 or called a Strut Tool or Spreader Tool.. How crucial is it to have this tool? If so, does anyone here have it? Perhaps I could borrow or go buy one?

- Do I need to change any axle bolts or ANY bolts for that matter? Some people have noted that some of the bolts are once-use only but at the same time, have heard of many others who never changes them anyway and still no problems. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance