GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover Sleeves/Ground Control

aw614

Ready to race!

It seems the setup doesn't go much lower than h&r sports on the lowest setting?

I am wondering if it needs modification like this, but that will void the warranty most likely.
http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?32506-Ground-Control-w-shortened-Koni-s-Write-Up&

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3

aw614

Ready to race!
If just lowering is the goal this isn't necessarily the kit you want.

oh no I was just wondering due to how short the spring was and because of what I was reading about modifying the perch. Lowering in my case would be just for show purposes, and dg/vwr height for autox.

Honestly I am tempted to buy the setup from my friend, but it seems awfully stiff for daily use especially compared to dg springs.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
oh no I was just wondering due to how short the spring was and because of what I was reading about modifying the perch. Lowering in my case would be just for show purposes, and dg/vwr height for autox.

Honestly I am tempted to buy the setup from my friend, but it seems awfully stiff for daily use especially compared to dg springs.

Koni's ride well with stiff springs, the single adjuster only effects rebound, compression stays constant so they control stiff springs quite well without becoming bouncy.

barische

Go Kart Champion
anyone know where i can source coilover sleeve kit similar to GC. I already asked them they wont just sell the hardware nor release specs (OF COURSE!!)

I kinda want to do a custom budget setup about 5-6" main spring (400-500#) rate + helper spring for the front. Im okay with GC's rear 380#.

My worry is that DD such a short spring that is provided with GC kit 5'5" without helper spring will be too much of a compromise.. I dont think they will provide linear spring to my specs + helper springs.

Murcie did sell his kit while back and noted the issue going over big dips. this is my reason for adding helper springs and also to minimize dislodge/slip out of short main spring risk. I believe adding helper springs may help with that issue dramatically.

JRutter

old man
I know 3-4 people who have ordered the sleeves and springs from GC to use on Ohlins dampers (same dimensions as stock) and they were able to provide a la carte lengths and rates, as well as helper springs...

live4something

Ready to race!
anyone know where i can source coilover sleeve kit similar to GC. I already asked them they wont just sell the hardware nor release specs (OF COURSE!!)

I kinda want to do a custom budget setup about 5-6" main spring (400-500#) rate + helper spring for the front. Im okay with GC's rear 380#.

My worry is that DD such a short spring that is provided with GC kit 5'5" without helper spring will be too much of a compromise.. I dont think they will provide linear spring to my specs + helper springs.

Murcie did sell his kit while back and noted the issue going over big dips. this is my reason for adding helper springs and also to minimize dislodge/slip out of short main spring risk. I believe adding helper springs may help with that issue dramatically.

What issue is it you are talking about? I'm the one that bought Murcie's and have never had an issue with the springs coming unseated, granted I don't blast through dips rally car style either. Yes they are stiff and a little harsh over large bumps, but that is due to the spring rate.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
What issue is it you are talking about? I'm the one that bought Murcie's and have never had an issue with the springs coming unseated, granted I don't blast through dips rally car style either. Yes they are stiff and a little harsh over large bumps, but that is due to the spring rate.

I have a GC setup on my M3, with 650/600's. It doesn't have helper springs, the only time that's a slight pain is when lowering the car when it's been jacked up, the fronts need a little guidance to fit back into the seats again. I don't launch the car into the air A-team style so not a problem driving around.

If you have a set of Koni's the GC kit is worth every penny (and then some) to convert them into an excellent low cost coilover setup. GC supplies a short bell shaped front spring to avoid coil binding and have travel and height adjustment space. Every car I've ever driven or ridden in with GC Koni suspensions has been a good performer at the track, not bad for old hydraulic boring twin tube shocks.

barische

Go Kart Champion
I have a GC setup on my M3, with 650/600's. It doesn't have helper springs, the only time that's a slight pain is when lowering the car when it's been jacked up, the fronts need a little guidance to fit back into the seats again. I don't launch the car into the air A-team style so not a problem driving around.

If you have a set of Koni's the GC kit is worth every penny (and then some) to convert them into an excellent low cost coilover setup. GC supplies a short bell shaped front spring to avoid coil binding and have travel and height adjustment space. Every car I've ever driven or ridden in with GC Koni suspensions has been a good performer at the track, not bad for old hydraulic boring twin tube shocks.

with my car being super stiff (XB, mid, rear brace), totally unloading a wheel is likely so im not gonna takethe risk of not having helper springs