GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Ford Focus ST

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
$10k for beer and strippers sounds like a better investment for the fun factor.

That's only stage 1.

Stage 2 is hookers and blow :thumbsup::thumbsup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Discussing "Logic" as it pertains to aftermarket, seeing as though thedude has some issues with it.

My Logic:

Pay 10K For meager gains...

or

http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning-mk6-2-0t-quarter-mile-package

Is it logical to buy a $2 million dollar painting that looks the same as a $200 reproduction? No. But people do that because they have a passion that defies logic.

Car modding is not "logical" at all. It is a passion. It makes no sense to call someone illogical for throwing money at their passion. The only parameters are your means, risk tolerance, and degree of passion/enthuisiasm.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Actually the 2 million dollar painting is more of an investment since it goes up in value higher than inflation. So you always come out on top. Modding a car on the other hand...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Is it logical to buy a $2 million dollar painting that looks the same as a $200 reproduction? No. But people do that because they have a passion that defies logic.

Car modding is not "logical" at all. It is a passion. It makes no sense to call someone illogical for throwing money at their passion. The only parameters are your means, risk tolerance, and degree of passion/enthuisiasm.

You had a problem with my initial statment as it pertains to spending 10K for a meager performance gain.

I then posted a link to spending roughly $6K for 11sec 1/4 miles.

Which would be "logical" to choose at that point?

Certainly there is much emotional and passion in to car modding, but I was merely stating an objective approach. You're giving us a blanket statement of the entire realm of enthusiasts. Thanks, but that's not the point I was trying to make.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Actually the 2 million dollar painting is more of an investment since it goes up in value higher than inflation. So you always come out on top. Modding a car on the other hand...

I agree with this analogy as opposed to the prior.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
You had a problem with my initial statment as it pertains to spending 10K for a meager performance gain.

I then posted a link to spending roughly $6K for 11sec 1/4 miles.

Which would be "logical" to choose at that point?

Certainly there is much emotional and passion in to car modding, but I was merely stating an objective approach. You're giving us a blanket statement of the entire realm of enthusiasts. Thanks, but that's not the point I was trying to make.

I am simply contending that it make no sense to compare what someone else would spend on their passion to what you see fit.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I am simply contending that it make no sense to compare what someone else would spend on their passion to what you see fit.

Given the opportunity, I'm sure if anyone was about to make that decision and someone else came along and said "hey you can get more for your money" they, if being sensible, would at least research the suggested option.

Seeing as though this thread alone has given a good data set as to saying that its stupid for the price, I think the point is valid.

But again, those who don't know much about it, WOULD spend the money because "its cool"

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Given the opportunity, I'm sure if anyone was about to make that decision and someone else came along and said "hey you can get more for your money" they, if being sensible, would at least research the suggested option.

Seeing as though this thread alone has given a good data set as to saying that its stupid for the price, I think the point is valid.

But again, those who don't know much about it, WOULD spend the money because "its cool"

In that spirit, according to many, I'm stupid for driving an R and paying APR's high prices on top of it.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion

Eh. The whole "freedom of choice, whatever makes you happy" argument only goes so far. Its boundaries have been exceeded here. A 37K econobox that can't run 13's? When there are barely used Boss 302's going for 40K?

A 37K Ford Focus with zero powertrain warrantywith those performance numbers is objectively an erroneous purchase. It's like plasti-dipping your whole car lime green, then bagging it with $6K forged HRE's, which you have also plasti-dipped some pastel color. Just no.

Last edited:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Eh. The whole "freedom of choice, whatever makes you happy" argument only goes so far. Its boundaries have been exceeded here. A 37K econobox that can't run 13's? When there are barely used Boss 302's going for 40K?

A 37K Ford Focus with zero powertrain warrantywith those performance numbers is objectively an erroneous purchase. It's like plasti-dipping your whole car lime green, then bagging it with $6K forged HRE's, which you have also plasti-dipped some pastel color. Just no.

Agreed. Subjectivity can only go so far. Like music, yeah you can have your tastes and passion for music, but at the end of the day if you think "Shots" by Lil John is a work of art, you're an idiot.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
First off, no way in hell am I ever going to drive a fricken' ford focus. Second off, HP/$ is the stupidest metric known to man.

There is only one logical purpose for a car: point A to point B. Any money spent on a car that isn't serving a purpose other than A to B is not logical. Period. It's a passion.

My whole point is that calling it "weak" because of the HP/$ on this particular car is just dumb. It could be done for half the price sacrificing next to no performance.

Avant

Ready to race!
But the 0-60 isn't THAT much more on the STOCK ST... that is why i'm saying, this seems like total BS right here. Just another way for some Unknown Tuner to make some money.

Put 10k into a CTS V and you have something that can keep up with most Road racers. The ST Won't

Cobb is no where near being unknown in the Ford/Subaru/Nissan/Mitsu/BMW world.

But yeah a 14.2 quarter mile with those mods is slow as balls. Unless it's a manual with a bad driver then I understand.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
First off, no way in hell am I ever going to drive a fricken' ford focus. Second off, HP/$ is the stupidest metric known to man.

There is only one logical purpose for a car: point A to point B. Any money spent on a car that isn't serving a purpose other than A to B is not logical. Period. It's a passion.

My whole point is that calling it "weak" because of the HP/$ on this particular car is just dumb. It could be done for half the price sacrificing next to no performance.

You already drive a Golf, what's your point?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Cobb is no where near being unknown in the Ford/Subaru/Nissan/Mitsu/BMW world.
But yeah a 14.2 quarter mile with those mods is slow as balls. Unless it's a manual with a bad driver then I understand.

this ^^

Cobb is huge.. if they made shit for VAG cars, people would be all over their nuts, just like we are on APR's.

handheld device, monitoring, quick/simple, flash at home, unflash if you want, before going into the dealer, or depending on the mfg, you can sometimes leave it alone, since they still can't tell.