GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutchless ignition update: solved (maybe)

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Here are some snips... G476 is the clutch position sensor. Pin 1 just goes to ground. Pin 5 ends up at fuse SC20 (Snip 3), but would be easier to tie in at TIUL 17g pin 6 (Snip 4). These are drawings for a 6MT Golf TDI though, YMMV. Maybe someone will post the part from Snip 1 for a non-TDI. I would want to check the wires that go to the ECU (pin 2 and 4 from G476). I would not expect the power/ground/wire to the ABS to be different.
Has anyone tried to tie those 2 pin outs? I asking because my sensor is actually beginning to fail

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk8 gti
Hey, new to this thread

What kind of signal is being sent from the clutch position sensor to the ecm? Couldn't we just emulate that somehow?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Hey, new to this thread

What kind of signal is being sent from the clutch position sensor to the ecm? Couldn't we just emulate that somehow?
Still will need to be momentary, on the previous gens you could just use these,

Bypass harness - aks tuning

On the mk7s the ecu gets tripped up by this since it’s thinks the clutch is always pushed down.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk8 gti
Still will need to be momentary, on the previous gens you could just use these,

Bypass harness - aks tuning

On the mk7s the ecu gets tripped up by this since it’s thinks the clutch is always pushed down.
Momentarily isn't an issue, I'm actually set up for that

The solenoid is a complex solution and a timed relay would be much eaiser. There must be more going on

The bypass harness doesn't work on mqb, i emailed them just in case

Last edited:

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Or you could switch to open source. And not have to push the clutch to start like me 😉
U wat? I haven't had luck with the solenoid method. Ended up with a magnet on a stick for cold starts lol

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
U wat? I haven't had luck with the solenoid method. Ended up with a magnet on a stick for cold starts lol
Yeah, open source tuning makes this a breeze. There is an option to disable the clutch to start. Pop car into neutral, foot on brake, and start car.

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Yeah, open source tuning makes this a breeze. There is an option to disable the clutch to start. Pop car into neutral, foot on brake, and start car.
Nice, I'm guessing you're referring to the open source tuning solution that is the subject of this thread?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
curiosity question: Do you have to have your foot on the brake?
Yes, foot needs to be on the brake to start. I have push to start, and without my foot on the brake, it puts the car into accessory mode.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Want

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Yes, foot needs to be on the brake to start. I have push to start, and without my foot on the brake, it puts the car into accessory mode.
so what good does bypassing clutch do if you have to press the brake instead? I'm not intending to insult just wondering. I will venture a guess

crank walk?