GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunk noise from front suspension

phillip1978

Ready to race!
Over the last 4 weeks the noise coming from my front right hand suspension has been gettin worse.
At first only noticed it driving onto a driveway, then a week later at below 50km on undulating roads now at 100km/hr it sounds like a hammer slamming away.
I have jacked the car up the bushes look good, the bolts are all tight and i see no wear on the springs.
Any ideas guys?
The car is a 2007 gti 6sp manual
55000km has bilstein shocks and h&r springs installed about 5000km ago

ilubmydub

Ready to race!
This is what I have going on right now but it's the bearing that goes above the strut wasn't installed when they installed my fk's. Sucks.

phillip1978

Ready to race!
Mmm i have a feeling its the top strut bearing aswell from what i have read.
I checked the nuts at the top of the strut and they are on tight so not them.
Checked the subframe bolts and all tight though i noticed that it doesnt have the vw passat spacer however it does have the audi bolts not sure if its just a different mod design in the US and Australia didnt have the stretch bolts installed or that when i got the H&R sway bars installed the mechanics replaced them. Either way the syptom of a knock while turning agressively isnt the same as what my vehicle is experiancing.

CW.GTI

Banned
Car(s)
VW
Mmm i have a feeling its the top strut bearing aswell from what i have read.
I checked the nuts at the top of the strut and they are on tight so not them.
Checked the subframe bolts and all tight though i noticed that it doesnt have the vw passat spacer however it does have the audi bolts not sure if its just a different mod design in the US and Australia didnt have the stretch bolts installed or that when i got the H&R sway bars installed the mechanics replaced them. Either way the syptom of a knock while turning agressively isnt the same as what my vehicle is experiancing.

I wasn't talking about the 3 nuts holding the strut mount to the strut tower. I was mentioning the nut that holds the strut mount to the strut bearing/strut. They tend to work themselves loose if not properly torqued.

ilubmydub

Ready to race!
I have the exact problem now. Turning at slow speed For example parallel parking would cause my car to turn into a moving circus from all the clunking I'm getting. Good thing I'm taking my car in now. I'm not sure if it's possible but could the bearing break while mounted? I'm trying to think why it's happening to you all the sudden...

phillip1978

Ready to race!
Sorry yeah i checked the three nuts and the large 22mm nut on the shock, and that was on tight aswell.
If the springs are binding would i get wear marks on the springs? I cant see any and i checked all sides with a mirror for the hard to see places.
Yeah dont know why its happening all of a sudden, maybe with the stiffer suspension whatever was about to let go decided to give up the ghost with the extra stresses involved.
If its the top strut bearing do i run the risk of the thread on the shock stripping?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Check the sway bar end link. The OEM can get damaged easily when doing the suspension.

phillip1978

Ready to race!
Sway bar end link is ok, its H&R not the OEM, the only think it is doing is rubbing on the plastic lining of the wheel well, but thats not the sound.
urrr this is driving me nuts, looks like i have to bite the bullet and send it to a mechanic.

CW.GTI

Banned
Car(s)
VW
Can you somehow get a friend to record while you drive so we can get an exact copy of what the sound is?

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
u sure its suspension, my cv boots were torn a while back and it kinda had a clunky noise and feel to it. just saying...

gtidrew

europeanag
the exact thing was happening to me after i installed my coilovers i replaced the whole strut mount and everything i good now

phillip1978

Ready to race!
Locusst,,,you where right it was the sway bar end link
The bolts on it where ok and when moved it was stiff, so it seemed ok however when compared to the other side it looked funny.
Sure enough it had popped off the ball but was sitting jammed so when jacked up everything looked all fine.
:happyanim:
anyways all is good now, thankyou all for your assistance now my baby is all good again
:thumbup:

fatdrew

asshole
Car(s)
08 RS 4door gti
its the front struts, since your lower, the height to the top of the spring is shorter, so, when you hit a bump the spring isnt pushed all the way up to your shock tower, it hits the top of the shock tower. mine is bagged and it only makes the clunk noise when i have low psi in the front. if i fill them up...no noise