GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Hey Cliff did you add the PVC elbow and drain tube?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Hey Cliff did you add the PVC elbow and drain tube?

I bought them but I have not attached them to the valve. For now, I'll probably remove the can, attach the elbow and tubing, and the drain valve will make getting the oil out a hell of a lot less messy. To keep the tubing in place all the time I'd need to route it down past the bottom engine back cover and close enough to the front of the car where I could get something under it to catch the oil.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I bit the bullet and installed one of these today. At the very least it will make it easier and less messy to transfer the contents of the can into whatever container I have on hand. Fumoto F106SX, M14x1.5: Amazon product page.

nice! It worked well while I had it. I ended up going a different route with the catch can though. Got rid of the VWR can (just couldn't get over the janky baffling) and rerouted the hoses to the other side of the car (for better cooling - i had oil cooler lines, fuel lines, coolant lines and oil catch can lines all right next to each other, but that is now fixed with the relocation):

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
is the other end of from the AOS going to the inlet pipe?

damms22

Nice build!

Look into Endless pads and fluid.

When you ran those Ohlins with those GroundControl plates. How much max negative camber up front were you able to get? I had the same setup and got -2.4 without cutting strut tower.

Also, What happens to the car when your "DCC cancellers threw a hard fault" ?

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Nice build!
Thanks!
Look into Endless pads and fluid.
No thanks
When you ran those Ohlins with those GroundControl plates. How much max negative camber up front were you able to get? I had the same setup and got -2.4 without cutting strut tower.
-2.4 on my last alignment

Also, What happens to the car when your "DCC cancellers threw a hard fault" ?
You can no longer disable traction control

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I was out at Thunderhill West yesterday and I am still having VWR catch can issues. I drained 650Ml (22 oz) out of the can this morning and that was after only 35 minutes of track time. I ordered a 06K103495BL PCV that a number of people on the forums have recommended, along with a Forge catch can. Hopefully this change will solve the problems I've been having with the VWR system.

(edit: changed the catch can from BFI to Forged)

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Here is some video from Thunderhill West yesterday. I was running in the advanced group with Track Night in America. The experience with them was pretty good. The track screwed up a little because they are not used to a mid-afternoon start time. The corner workers were late and this delayed the start by 10 minutes. Then the corner workers didn't adjust and threw the checker on the advanced group's first session 10 minutes early. Other than that, the event went smoothly. It sounds like some of the horror stories I have heard about TNiA events are more about the local region and not about the program in general.

Anyway, this was my first time running the TH West configuration and it's a fun course. There are a couple of very slow corners and a few tricky bits. I'd run it again.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was out at Thunderhill West yesterday and I am still having VWR catch can issues. I drained 650Ml (22 oz) out of the can this morning and that was after only 35 minutes of track time. I ordered a 06K103495BL PCV that a number of people on the forums have recommended, along with a BFI catch can. Hopefully this change will solve the problems I've been having with the VWR system.

Have you tried the A4/A5 PCV valve? It's the current revision for S3 and R. It ends in BL. I have it on my GTI and it solved my smoking issues on track.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Nice driving. West course is fun, looks like the air quality improved a lot in the last few weeks too.

Have you tried the A4/A5 PCV valve? It's the current revision for S3 and R. It ends in BL. I have it on my GTI and it solved my smoking issues on track.

My car is a smokeshow on cloverleaf on-ramps with BL. I think it is actually worsening and I don't recall my OEM one having any smoking issues TBH. Probably should have left it alone. Good luck.

I keep seeing this discrepancy. It seems like for half of people the BL plate solves their issues while the other half it makes it worse. WTF is going on. Installing my BL revision Sunday and will test at Laguna Seca in about a month. Really hoping to end up on the "improved" side of the fence.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Nice driving. West course is fun, looks like the air quality improved a lot in the last few weeks too.

I keep seeing this discrepancy. It seems like for half of people the BL plate solves their issues while the other half it makes it worse. WTF is going on. Installing my BL revision Sunday and will test at Laguna Seca in about a month. Really hoping to end up on the "improved" side of the fence.

Thanks. My third session was slightly better, at least until the engine ran low on oil and forced me to pit. Unfortunately the remote didn't feel like talking to the cameras so I don't have video. The air quality improved a lot in the last couple of days. Wednesday was the first day I could get outside to exercise since last Thursday.

The overwhelming majority of the comments I have seen on the 06K103495BL PCV have been positive. I found a thread on the VWROC indicating that this plate is the one in use on the 2018 and 2019 Golf R's. If that thread is accurate then that's an interesting bit of knowledge. I doubt that it's possible to reproduce this problem in street driving. For one thing, you'll only generate high enough G-forces while braking and not accelerating on an on-ramp. I think my longitudinal G's were something like -1.1 as I was braking on entry to the Corkscrew and first experienced the problem that led to my installing the VWR catch can.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I'm on IS20 with ots EQT stg 1 tune. I'm pretty sure diggs is on a bigger turbo and higher boost, so that might make a difference?

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I'm on IS20 work ots EQT stg 1 tune. I'm pretty sure diggs is on a bigger turbo and higher boost, so that might make a difference?

I doubt it. For one thing, this is a braking related problem. From the Racingline site:

Retains oil in the engine under excessive braking G-forces. Oil pools at the front of the engine, leading to smoke clouds and ultimately oil starvation.