GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Click/Clunking sound from Steering

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Hello all,

The last couple of days I've noticed a clicking/clunking sound coming from what I think it underneath the car. I notice it when the car is stationary and when I move the steering wheel from side to side just slightly. I do not notice this when the car is rolling.

I have an appointment with VW on Saturday morning to replace a tail light that has moisture in it and I've asked them to look at this. I was wondering if anyone has an idea what this might be so I can be somewhat armed if they say it's nothing. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't???

Here is a short video from this morning. You can hear the sound when I turn the wheel side to side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ukqih4N00

Thanks for looking and any input is much appreciated.

Duster117

Ready to race!
hmm. i have a clicking to, but not like that.
mine will just slightly click as the steering wheel is turning (eg: from lock to lock)
about every 1/8 to 1/4 turn mine will click.

i get no clicking if i wiggle mine back and forth like you did.

GtiDTLA

You said it's coming from underneath the car and not somewhere closer to the wheel/rack? The most common causes of clunking issues are a worn ball joint, strut mount, or tie-rod end. But since it only occurs while stationary I doubt it's any of those things.
Honestly, I'd ask the dealer when you go in but if it's not affecting the car while in motion I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
It sounds like it yeah....I mean nothing is binding on the steering wheel or any parts inside of the car I can see. I can also "feel" the clunk through the wheel when it happens. Kind of hard to explain in words....

Thanks for your feedback thus far.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Yeah I thought about that however I doubt what I'm hearing is the frame moving around since it's just sitting there and I'm moving the wheel slightly.

When you dry steer while not moving the entire front of the car is shifting, slightly. I don't know if it's enough to cause the subframe to clunk but still - keep that in mind.

Honestly though, it's 10 bucks and as long as you have access to a torque wrench you can do it yourself. The stock bolts are shit and will stretch a lot over time, causing slop in the subframe. Even if you don't have a clunk, replacing the stretch bolt with the Passat ones will "tighten" up the car in a few ways which I'm sure you'll notice.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Oy, ummmm.....let me think....oh yeah I took it to dealer and they checked it out. Response was, "steering functioning as normal". So I let it go......since the original posting no issues and it only clicks like that when it's below 15* or so.