GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clear coat Peeling from Roof

bsspencer42

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, just bought my first GTI last week. 2007 Fahrenheit GTI with 105k, stock. Only thing that is really bothering me is the clear coat is peeling off the roof and hood of the car. It is much worse on the roof, with a couple spots about the size of a small hand right in front of the sunroof. The hood has some quarter size and smaller spots with missing clear coat. Apparently whoever drove this vehicle liked to tailgate people or the roads in AL must have been just awful. (There are MANY paint chips as well, some down to the metal).

So, what do you guys suggest? If I want the roof repainted, is the entire vehicle going to need to be repainted or can just a section of a panel be touched up? I will try to post some pictures later.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Clear coat failure = repaint. There is no way to patch or touch up the clear. You may be able to get away with color matching and just doing the roof and hood, however if the rest of the paint is terrible a full respray will be worth it.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
100% repaint.

The body shop can do just the roof, the drip rails are not a perfect break but it can be done.

bsspencer42

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I talked to a body shop this afternoon and they quoted around 800 for a full roof repair, and the hood would be an extra 500. I think I'm going to go with a paint job on it, I just hope they do a GREAT job paint matching.... the magma orange is going to be pretty tough. I'll post some pictures up when I get the repairs made and chime in with a price, in case anyone has an issue like this in the future.

Viru5

Ready to race!
That's the route i would go personally. 1300 for roof and hood just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
You may see the spots that are peeling through the vinyl sheeting. And even if you do go that route, the vinyl is still porous. So the damage will continue to spread underneath the vinyl.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Not too many factory Orange cars.

The clear coat holes will impact the surface of plastidip and a wrap. Doing it right and spending the cash is the only way to do it IMHO.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Could you potential sand off the clear coat to smooth out the finish then lay down the vinyl or spray plastidip? Might be an option....

I would be worried about color matching with that color. It't not just a standard black or red...pretty special.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I dont think there was any metallic in that orange so it would be easier to match.

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Could you potential sand off the clear coat to smooth out the finish then lay down the vinyl or spray plastidip? Might be an option....

I would be worried about color matching with that color. It't not just a standard black or red...pretty special.

this seems like the best route honestly for the money.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV

If you're willing to wet sand the car, you might as well prep it yourself for paint so a body shop can just throw on a new coat.