GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

chip mod power claims, discuss

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
GTT said:
Not off topic at all really. :)
I'm sure you're correct about the power. The real dyno curve I saw shows that in the mid-rpm range the increase is about 40lb ft. of torque. That is excellent and would be quite noticeable.
The numbers I am referring to, in my orginal post, are the overall hp/torque gain over stock.
Those are not as high as the chip maker/s claim, at least not yet proven.

I have a question for you. The power curve I saw showed a decrease of torque off idle.
The stock engine is noted for having ample torque at low rpm. The chipped engine shows less than stock power at low rpm. Have you noticed any lag or additional lag OFF the line, or off idle, after the chip upgrade?

T

hey gtt. i havent really noticed any decrease in power at all. in fact, it feels more responsive in the lower rpm's. but you can really feel the difference at around 3 grand.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
slippry said:
Not sure if any of you guys have seen this post or not but its a dyno with GIAC X and AWE TurboBack Exhaust. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2498510

Nice gains.
However, don't miss that this is with a freer flowing exhaust, which is vital to the engine to be able to move out the extra air that's moving in. That's a turbo back exhaust and that helps with low rpm power. I didn't catch it but does that car have
an aftermarket cat or no cat? Being a turbo back, my guess is no cat which would make it a major restriction removed.
Giac, APR, etc... make their claims based on stock parts with just a chip program.

T

NewYorkMike

So hot right now. . .
i am looking to chip soon...but all the chip makers are whiney and WON"T get it together to do a head to head. My friend (MKIV) has GIAC and I am partial as such. But I witmessed the nasty exchange on the vortex between apr and giac guys....i def thought less of one of them.

I want a head to head on all three, same vehicle, same day, same dyno...and no bullsh*t.

but the software seems very new still so I will prolly wait a year or so....

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI

here is my dynosheet, with the Revo program on a conservative tune, opposed to APR and GIAC whom basically throw a map at the cars ECU.

Revo allows me to mess with my Timing, Boost, and Fuel. allowing me to optimize my power output. this also allows me to optimize the car to new mods such as a new exhaust/downpipe and a better flowing intake.

this is why i chose Revo. :)

alf

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
VDUB725 said:
To the guy who's got an APR chip and is really confused...

1 blink is Stock

2 blinks is 93 Octane

I know this bc I had a 1.8t with the Stock and 93 Octane Program.

hey vdub. i was just a bit confused because the receipt said slot 1, 93 and slot 2, stock. and thats what i was told by the dealer. but 93 was definitely in slot 2 without a doubt. so i just brought it back to the dealer and they just reflashed it all over and now the 93 setting is where it says is suposed to be. kinda wierd but whatver. everything is good now.

frank2287

Touring Car Newbie
Well i didnt know Revo alowed that to be possible for you to tune your own car!! Didnt APR maention that they were going to come out with a 100octain setup??? Thats why im confused on if i want revo or APR.