GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chinese Manufactured Parts

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I guess I'm still lost though, sure I have proof of shipped exhaust parts, but where's the misconception? Is it solely the statement of "AWE manufactures everything in house" ? If it was "AWE Buys bended exhaust parts and supplies from China nd welds everything in house, would we not worry about this?"

I guess...why does it matter? False claims? Flase Advertising? If that's then case then I can understand.

crew219

Banned
I guess I'm still lost though, sure I have proof of shipped exhaust parts, but where's the misconception? Is it solely the statement of "AWE manufactures everything in house" ? If it was "AWE Buys bended exhaust parts and supplies from China nd welds everything in house, would we not worry about this?"

I guess...why does it matter? False claims? Flase Advertising? If that's then case then I can understand.

It depends on how you look at it. There have been numerous reports of welds cracking on AWE exhausts (and 2.7t manifolds). Mysteriously, every time someone reports a cracked weld, Todd comes in chiming that it's the "first time he's ever heard of a cracked weld on an AWE product". If you're outside their 1 year warranty, you have to pay for a "refurbished" part (essentially a return from someone else who had a cracked part that was fixed) or you pay to ship it to them and have them fix the cracked weld.

A friend of mine has a full AWE TBE that has had 5+ different welds crack on it. At $75 a crack, it was hardly cheap for him to have it fixed every time. IIRC the welds started cracking sometime after 2 years of ownership in sunny california. My former AWE TBE also ended up cracking a year or so after I sold it to someone else. He too had issues getting AWE to fix it outside the 1 year warranty (unit was only 2 years old).

So, I'd say there's a particular concern about where AWE sources their prefabbed parts. It's also a bit disconcerting how they spin their shipment backorders as every exhaust being hand-made to order. I suppose the hand-made part does have some legitimacy, but the "to order" part is bogus. They're simply waiting for another container to come from overseas.

I do agree though that there are quality products that do come from overseas (i.e. the old Eurojet TIG-welded exhausts) No one's ever reported any issues with those and they were made from high quality components from Taiwan.

Dave

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VOLKSWAGEN GTI
So we're attacking these companies for lying right, and not cause they're made in China??? Cause China makes some quality stuff and some not so much (ie 2011 mustang tranny). It's like Asian women, they're either really hot or really ugly, no in between.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
My iPhone is made in China and it works pretty well.

What more is there?

Crew... What QC experience do you have? Are you an engineer? Feel like earning your steak dinner now?

crew219

Banned
Not at all, I'm actually very thankful for your help. We went back and forth and searched and found similar looking kits produced in China. Yes we found EuroSport with the same exact kit, I still haven't received an answer from Forge on that. Could Forge and EuroSport have the same supplier? Yes but could Forge produce for EuroSport? I don't have that answer although I know what you think. Do I go with what EuroSport told me about Forge's kit's being made in China? It's Forge vs. EuroSport and I have no resolution other than what they tell me. Forge provided pictures of the CNC machines making the calipers, in general the pictures still don't show where they are located.

Why would the owner of Eurosporttuning.ca tell you that he purchased them from a chinese company that also makes the brakes for Forge?

And now I see you're claiming that all Brembo products are made in China which is blatantly not true. As shown from press releases about the Nanjing Brembo plant acquisition, they produce passenger car replacement rotors. It's not too different from how they were using plants in Brazil or Mexico to make cast rotor blanks.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Never said all parts. It was some or any parts in general.

I don't have a reply to EuroSport, they made a case that both kits came from the same manufacturer. He won't give me proof when I asked for it, you won't give me proof, in this case the only one that has come back with something, anything is Forge in terms of answers and pictures. If they are made in China someone needs to step up and provide a supplier or proof otherwise nothing is proven from anyone. All I have are degrees of what we're told. You say China, EuroSport says China, Forge says UK and sends photos of CNC machines.

crew219

Banned
Never said all parts. It was some or any parts in general.

I don't have a reply to EuroSport, they made a case that both kits came from the same manufacturer. He won't give me proof when I asked for it, you won't give me proof, in this case the only one that has come back with something, anything is Forge in terms of answers and pictures. If they are made in China someone needs to step up and provide a supplier or proof otherwise nothing is proven from anyone. All I have are degrees of what we're told. You say China, EuroSport says China, Forge says UK and sends photos of CNC machines.

Yes, pictures that have no location data whatsoever. I think it's fair to say that they never developed their own kit, or are you going to argue against that as well?

crew219

Banned
x2. There's good and bad factories everywhere. Even here believe it or not.
Who cares.

Of course. If you believe these certain companies are making quality products then it's a moot point. I for one, do not believe that Forge manufactures high quality and well engineered products and have plenty of experience to back up that claim.

As my original point has been somewhat lost in this thread (that Bender created, not me), I'll reiterate it again.

--Forge does not manufacture their own brake kit as they claim
--The kit is manufactured overseas and is then private labeled to numerous companies including Forge and Eurosport Tuning.
--The kit is of unknown design and testing. No, throwing a set of brakes on and driving around doesn't constitute proper long-term testing.

Ever want to know how stoptechs are designed and manufactured? http://www.stoptech.com/about/stoptech-factory-tour

No cropped vague photos, no bogus claims.

Dave

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
x2. There's good and bad factories everywhere. Even here believe it or not.
Who cares.

X3.

Seems like you have a pretty big vendetta that you are trying to fulfill there crew. If you have problem with the way someone is representing the product/rebranding their product, that's awesome. Many of us here completely understand. But, to go the extent so far that you have gone to is kind of like a kid who got a bad lollipop, so now is trying to make sure every kid knows he got a bad lollipop.

Bender1

Banned
Come on Paul, surely you've seen the vast long history of AWE bringing in parts (in high frequency and quantity) from China from suppliers like Autobahn88. If you haven't, I'm sure Zach can provide you with the .pdfs. They usually bring the parts in under 3 different company names.

Dave

The exhaust parts I have seen there are all raw tubing. That doesn't mean there is stuff that I haven't seen, but, as you and I have butted heads on in the past, I think its critical to tell the whole story with these things.

The innuendo has got to stop. I don't say this as a moderator, but as a guy that loves the community, finds some of the things you say interesting (and likes you personally), and someone that, frankly, doesn't really care about the debate.

This is the part I was referencing yesterday when I was getting esoteric about "what does made in America mean?".

If I see something bent, welded, and finished in a shop that I pass daily on my way to work, is that Made in America?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm more concerned about pricing. If I can buy a TOP for $30 a pop I would do it, knoiwng it was made in China. However, I have to buy 50-100 at a time and sell the rest off.

I'm all for Made In China......just now knowing the prices they're getting it at, I wouldnt spend $1900 I KNEW was picked up for less than half of that.

Bender1

Banned
I'm more concerned about pricing. If I can buy a TOP for $30 a pop I would do it, knoiwng it was made in China. However, I have to buy 50-100 at a time and sell the rest off.

I'm all for Made In China......just now knowing the prices they're getting it at, I wouldnt spend $1900 I KNEW was picked up for less than half of that.

I think this is a valid and different discussion, perhaps one that goes beyond this thread. Margins on everything in the world are huge.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I think this is a valid and different discussion, perhaps one that goes beyond this thread. Margins on everything in the world are huge.

Truth. Its just like asking to get Invoice pricing on a vehicle. You KNOW what the dealer got it for....but they just cant sell it for that sometimes.

crew219

Banned
X3.

Seems like you have a pretty big vendetta that you are trying to fulfill there crew. If you have problem with the way someone is representing the product/rebranding their product, that's awesome. Many of us here completely understand. But, to go the extent so far that you have gone to is kind of like a kid who got a bad lollipop, so now is trying to make sure every kid knows he got a bad lollipop.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Seems like many of the claims I've made after testing their DV have held up.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3336171-Forge-2.0t-Diverter-Valve-review-(long)

Same with my claims about the Twintercooler after helping a local install and log his.

Same with my claims about the MAF location on their Twintake.

Whoops, must be a huge vendetta. Sorry, I don't buy parts blindly.