GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check Your Oil

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
It's my first turbo car and everyone has told me that these turbocharged VW engines burn up oil. Especially when driven hard. So I checked the oil when it had a little over 500 miles and nothing. I then checked the oil today after passing 1500 miles and I was missing half a quart! Just want to inform you guys that this really happens TO ALL TURBO ENGINES. So make sure you check your oil every once in a while just to be safe. Wouldn't want many more people giving these cars a bad rep because of their neglect to maintenance.

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Dang... I know it happens on some cars like the RX8 but I didnt know it was a turbo thing. Thanks for the heads up!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I don't think we should have the problem DSM crs have of burning oil. Haven't checked mine yet. But let me tell you I think VW would have people in there like crazy complaining.

AM59Z2x31

Go Kart Newbie
trick000 said:
Dang... I know it happens on some cars like the RX8 but I didnt know it was a turbo thing. Thanks for the heads up!
That's because rotary engines use oil like a 2 stroke motor to help lubricate the seals (like rings in a normal engine).

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I don't know where you get your info from.... I have a Big Turbo with several other High Horse Power mods to my '98.5 Audi 1.8t Quattro and my car has 130K on it and I don't have that problem whatsoever!!! I have also installed Big Turbos in other Audis and VW's as well and those people have not had your problem either.

A lot of the lesser quality oils out there will have more burn-off , but not as much as you have stated.
Besides, your cars not even broken it yet... "1500 miles".

GTT

Touring Car Champion
blackmkv said:
It's my first turbo car and everyone has told me that these turbocharged VW engines burn up oil. Especially when driven hard. So I checked the oil when it had a little over 500 miles and nothing. I then checked the oil today after passing 1500 miles and I was missing half a quart! Just want to inform you guys that this really happens TO ALL TURBO ENGINES. So make sure you check your oil every once in a while just to be safe. Wouldn't want many more people giving these cars a bad rep because of their neglect to maintenance.

In general, turbo engines can use up a bit more oil than normally aspirated engines, dut to the higher combustion chamber pressures that can result in greater "blow-by", that is when oil get's past the oil rings and into the combustion chamber, or when combustion chamber fuel/air get past the rings.
However, that's much more rare in modern engines.
What is common is that all new engines can use up more oil during the final "break in" while all the bits and mating properly, and from greater metal expansion/contraction while new.
This all calms down after a couple thousand miles or so. So, you may have greater oil use/loss during the first 1000-3000 miles, but it will go to nearly 0 loss after that.

My 2003 325i lost nearly a quart the first 3000 miles, and nothing after that and I have a normally aspirated engine.
But, you are correct in reminding everyone to check their oil especially during it's early miles.

Corleone

Go Kart Newbie
I have a couple of doubts...

1st) The salesman that sold my GTI said me that my car was using a Longlife oil, so, the quality of the oil is constantly managed electronically...

2nd) I´ve seen once the level of it. It was quite a time ago, and it wasn´t as lower as someone has already said here, and I drive quite faster (as the road and traffic flow allows me).

So, I´m not much worried about that. Nevertheless, I will see the oil level, altough I believe that I´m not going to be much surprised.

The actual engines don´t have such oil demands, as it was usual some time ago. Or like the diesel engines. I had a TDI before I got my GTI, and in that engine, the attention should be more effective.

Regards

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
turbo's tend to burn oil. it happens, but its not good lolz.

also becareful with the oil u put in, if its too thin, itll burn due to heat of the turbo.

alf

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
bilbos said:
Just wanted to check. Does the MFD warn you when your oil is getting low?

i wouldn't trust the MFD for something like that...just pop the hood and check the dipstick periodically...

rickerbr

Ready to race!
Just some info, North American VWs don't use the variable service intervals (VW502.1 oil I think), like our ROW counterparts. I've got 2100 miles on my GTI and it was full to the mark this morning. I'm planning on doing a change in the next week or so and another at 5000, then following the regular service intervals in the book. I'm doing this to get rid of any breakin contaminants.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
What does ROW stand for? Rest Of the World?