GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check Oil Level

JimmyO

Car(s)
VW Golf mk7 GTD
Hi guys,recently joined,and recently i bought mk7 GTD i have changed the oil 3 months ago,yesterday while driving the yellow signal appeared check oil level,i let it rest in the morning and check the bar and it was on minimum,check under the hood there werent any signs of leak,i need your help…

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Hi guys,recently joined,and recently i bought mk7 GTD i have changed the oil 3 months ago,yesterday while driving the yellow signal appeared check oil level,i let it rest in the morning and check the bar and it was on minimum,check under the hood there werent any signs of leak,i need your help…

Did you check the oil level immediately after the oil change? If not, it may have been underfilled. @YamR1rider has the right idea. Top it up and monitor the level regularly over the next several months to see if there's indeed a problem.

JimmyO

Car(s)
VW Golf mk7 GTD
Did you check the oil level immediately after the oil change? If not, it may have been underfilled. @YamR1rider has the right idea. Top it up and monitor the level regularly over the next several months to see if there's indeed a problem.
Its second time to appear the signal light since changing the oil

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
Do you do a lot of driving? I do and have to top my oil up every other month or so don't really take notice how often, but I check it about once a month although I got the same check light the other week so just topped it back up and all good. Does sound like a lot of oil to go through in 3 months, not noticed any puddles of oil on the ground under your car to rule out a leak? Like the others said maybe it was undefiled when done, best bet is to top it and keep checking it.

JimmyO

Car(s)
VW Golf mk7 GTD
Do you do a lot of driving? I do and have to top my oil up every other month or so don't really take notice how often, but I check it about once a month although I got the same check light the other week so just topped it back up and all good. Does sound like a lot of oil to go through in 3 months, not noticed any puddles of oil on the ground under your car to rule out a leak? Like the others said maybe it was undefiled when done, best bet is to top it and keep checking it.
I got top it,and went on a 600 km trip,and again the light went on,i let it rest and checked the next morning the bar was at minimum again,i double checked there arent any leaks under the car

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
What engine code do you have? CUNA and CUPA do have issues with oil consumption due to the piston wiper rings (not sure if correct term used)

JimmyO

Car(s)
VW Golf mk7 GTD
Hi guys,today i went to the local mechanic,he told me that i need to change the rocker cover because from there oil is leaking in small amount,but he also told me that this type of engine uses at least 500 ml of oil on 4000 km so its normal,i need your advice for the ROCKER COVER, is it worth it to change or can i drive like that,because honestly i think that he tries to rob me because he told me very high price to change it…

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Engine code should be stated in the vehicle papers or in the documentation provided by the dealer/seller (service book or something like that, I don't have it here right now). You can also check the luggage compartment where the spare wheel is. There used to be the sticker containing information about the vehicle - VIN, engine code, code of paint, lots of codes about the car's equipment etc.

Regarding the rocker cover...not sure if I understood well, but maybe he is talking about this part, which costs around 250 euros itself considering the price of OEM part - https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/03l103469ad-valve-cover-european-union-39805.html
I have no clue what would be the price for removal of the old one and installation of new part...

Last edited:

JimmyO

Car(s)
VW Golf mk7 GTD
Just quick recap guys,i am on 6000km(3728 miles)and i have spend 1L of oil..every 1000km the check oil apears and i top it with oil…should i be considered?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Seems excessive.....do you have any oil leaks or excessive smoking from the exhaust? I've got no experience with the diesel motors but on the gas ones, as per your mechanic I do believe that VW has set quite a high bar for what amount of oil usage is considered 'normal' - but that being said, my reality with my two cars (even the high mile one approaching 150k miles on the clock) is that they burn very little oil indeed; I've personally never had to top off between oil changes at 5k miles intervals.

JimmyO

Car(s)
VW Golf mk7 GTD
Seems excessive.....do you have any oil leaks or excessive smoking from the exhaust? I've got no experience with the diesel motors but on the gas ones, as per your mechanic I do believe that VW has set quite a high bar for what amount of oil usage is considered 'normal' - but that being said, my reality with my two cars (even the high mile one approaching 150k miles on the clock) is that they burn very little oil indeed; I've personally never had to top off between oil changes at 5k miles intervals.
i only spotted leak from the oil cap or vavle cover(not sure which one)not excessive smoke at all