GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap downpipes are great but...

Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
The first thing you need to do when you get one is take the included V-band clamp and put it in the garbage bin where it belongs. :thumbsup:
they are all really cheap and will not hold properly. i always had an exhaust leak from a crappy clamp. But Wednesday i was just cruising around when out of fucking nowhere the car got 10X louder... turn out the clamp finally gave out.
only lasted a couple of months. so i decided to stop by a local speed shop and pick up a quality American clamp. and its so much better, fits better and the is no leak now.

So if you cant afford a name brand DP then at least spend $30 more and get a good clamp, as its the only downside to a cheap DP. :)

old POS

new clamp

i<3myMKV

Winner
Car(s)
2006 Tornado Red GTI
I have a EuroCustoms DP I didn't really notice the quality of the clamp, but I have been running it for almost a year now and it's still on and I have no leaks so it must be doing it's job :thumbsup: A lot of people do complain about the provided V clamps on ebay pipes though

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I too upgraded my v-clamp, any cheap catless dp works fine but an upgraded clamp is a good investment

mkvnamedlucy

Great White Buffalo
Yeah I really like my raceland and after leaks I definitely had to get a new clamp. Its worth it. Better than buying expensive metal...

Tapatalk-o bell

Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
I have a EuroCustoms DP I didn't really notice the quality of the clamp, but I have been running it for almost a year now and it's still on and I have no leaks so it must be doing it's job :thumbsup: A lot of people do complain about the provided V clamps on ebay pipes though

yah, Eurocustoms stands behind their products anyways, so if you did have a problem im sure you could get it replaced

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
when i bought an ebay pipe a few years back i also ordered a new vband from ATP at the same time.

vndcatr

Ready to race!
Im not one to go cheap on parts.. but im going to try one of these out..for the price you cant beat it i guess...

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
Im not one to go cheap on parts.. but im going to try one of these out..for the price you cant beat it i guess...

definitely something you can afford to "go cheap" on- it's a friggin stick and some flex. My biggest regrets are going all fanboi on a DP (n00b mistake cost me about $300 more than it should have) and not going with Raven's noise plug (I went with the Tiguan pipe and now want a dv relocate :bellyroll:)
In hindsight I would have went with this for the DP:

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=201&cat=112&page=1

catless and resonated :wub:

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
definitely something you can afford to "go cheap" on- it's a friggin stick and some flex. My biggest regrets are going all fanboi on a DP (n00b mistake cost me about $300 more than it should have) and not going with Raven's noise plug (I went with the Tiguan pipe and now want a dv relocate :bellyroll:)
In hindsight I would have went with this for the DP:

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=201&cat=112&page=1

catless and resonated :wub:

I dunno, I have a friend with a full billy boat exhaust on his e30 that's been on for 20 years and it's still in great shape after continuous driving through snow/salt.

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
I dunno, I have a friend with a full billy boat exhaust on his e30 that's been on for 20 years and it's still in great shape after continuous driving through snow/salt.

Billy Boat, UR and 42 DD are all the "higher end" of the cheaper offerings. I have heard nothing but good reviews about BB and UR specifically and the URs are raved about on mk6. Eurocustoms and the ebay pipes will do if that is what you are looking for. What I am saying is there is no reason to spend $600 on a DP.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I agree with tampa, its a damn piece of pipe. An ebay one compared to a high end one is the same tube lol

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Billy Boat, UR and 42 DD are all the "higher end" of the cheaper offerings.

42DD is mild steel and not really comparable to the others mentioned in regards to rust resistance unless you have it ceramic coated which it then becomes one of the more expensive offerings. I wouldn't call it high end, just high priced for what it is (basically a mild steel DP at a stainless steel price. No such thing as high end mild steel exhaust).