GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing Spark Plugs in TSI 1.4

nakti

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi just wonder how to change and how I can take out the Spark plugs from Volkswagen Golf 5 TSI 140HK. I know where they are but cant get them out :/

dave80

Go Kart Champion
It's a 10 min job if you know what you are doing. Take the engine cover off, take the coils out, use a spark plug socket to get the plugs out.

nakti

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi I have a pic but can't get them out, tried everything man :) I think im gonna ask somebody.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Hi I have a pic but can't get them out, tried everything man :) I think im gonna ask somebody.

I think you better of asking for help. Those are your coil packs in the pic, and you have to unplug them first then pull them out to get to your spark plugs. Looks like you have no idea where the plugs are at.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
Just get a radiator hose hook tool like this.

Disconnect the harness from the coil and slide the hook end under the coil and gently pry up on it. (like trying to remove a nail with a claw hammer) You will meet a little resistance but it should pop right out.

nakti

Passed Driver's Ed
Just get a radiator hose hook tool like this.

Disconnect the harness from the coil and slide the hook end under the coil and gently pry up on it. (like trying to remove a nail with a claw hammer) You will meet a little resistance but it should pop right out.

Thank you for the tool, but I have tried to Disconnect the harness from the coil, but its stuck, and how to get it off. I Can't disconnect because it is locked.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
edit..

found this on another site.

push connector into coil pack while pressing down on clip. You will hear it click
Pull plug out from coil pack

DanoftheDead

ಠ_ಠ
Car(s)
2008 GLI
Might need one of these doohickees.

http://www.schwabentools.com/our-products/details/2/2/pullers/ignition-coil-pack-remover-14l-tsi

Also found a thread on this from a scirocco site.
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8037

They are under the top engine cover. Best lifting this off while the engine is still warm as the rubber grommets can tear when cold (Cost £4.75 each). Two studs near the front edge in either corner. Gentley pull the cover upwards about 5cm max. Then pull forward to release the rear centre stud which is in a horizontal slot.

You will now see the coil packs in front of you along the top of the engine. No. 2, 3 & 4 are easy to remove with the VW coil pack removal tool - T10094 (£35). Prising them out is not easy due to the tight fit and the grease applied during engine production at the factory. Also, damage may result to coil pack head using a screw driver or similar.

The T10094A tool with the T-bar handle is shown on the right hand side in the tray. Also in the tray is the Torx head drive, the removed Torx bolts for the oil breather and the 16mm spark plug socket with extension.

DSCN7906a.JPG
To remove the coil packs, once lifted about 1cm, unclip the connection to the wiring loom by stroking the connector's securing clip on the underside centre and then disconnect the loom connection by pulling and holding the underside clip open.

No.1 (nearest the right hand side of the Scirocco) is a little more difficult to remove. You will need to unbolt the oil breather pipe off the cam cover and some other attachments (two securing screws) to create space around No.1 coil pack. Then it can be removed with diffuculty using the VW coil pack tool.

This is how it looks with the engine cover removed and coil packs out. Where the orange dip stick handle is No.1 cylinder.

DSCN7907a.jpg
The plugs are deeply recessed in the head cam cover so you will need an extension bar.

Plugs are VW part 101 905 626 £12.35 each.
Torque : 25Nm
Plug gap 0.8mm to 0.9mm (31.5 thou - 35.5 thou)
Change interval : 60,000Km (37,000miles)

I found both the factory fitted plugs and the VW spares were all over gapped to 38thou against above. This I shortened to 31 thou (about 0.79mm)and the engine has run very much smoother since for the last 3,000 miles. The exhaust tail pipes have gone from black and wet all the time to dry and a very dark slate gray. The engine pick up is better. And the very minor murmur of a misfiring stutter has gone.