GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL came on

randrewm97

Ready to race!
Car(s)
i see a lot of post on here on cel, but im not sure if those applies to my situation.

i just bought my 07 gti down in atlanta georgia and i flew in. the dealership man picked me up at the airport in the car and for the drive back to the dealership from the airport, no cel was on. i buy the car and they fill it up with gas for me and i begin to drive it back home (ohio) when about 1mile down the road from the dealership the cel came on.

the car has apr exhaust on it, and as far as i know, no engine mods. im unsure if it has cats or not. anyways, i was thinking that he may have put 87 octane gas in it and that may have tripped the computer.

i just got back home so i do not have a code. is there a way to reset the computer like they do at the dealer? i since have put a full tank of 93 octane in it but the light stayed on. thanks

xcrazydx

Crack Rock Fresh
Car(s)
2007 CW GTI
Why didn't you turn around and bring it back? You can unplug the battery for 15 min, though.

randrewm97

Ready to race!
Car(s)
didnt feel like it lol. all i wanted was to get home. it runs perfectly fine and starts fine, but it just randomly came on. it just hit 30k miles too, so maybe it is one of those things that come on to tell you to take it to the dealer for a check up.

it still has a warranty, so i can always take it to a dealer... if the battery thing doesnt work. thanks... ill prolly try that as soon as the sun rises.

xcrazydx

Crack Rock Fresh
Car(s)
2007 CW GTI
didnt feel like it lol. all i wanted was to get home. it runs perfectly fine and starts fine, but it just randomly came on. it just hit 30k miles too, so maybe it is one of those things that come on to tell you to take it to the dealer for a check up.

it still has a warranty, so i can always take it to a dealer... if the battery thing doesnt work. thanks... ill prolly try that as soon as the sun rises.

If it were a service reminder it would say that in the mfd. "service in xx miles", or "service now"

randrewm97

Ready to race!
Car(s)
If it were a service reminder it would say that in the mfd. "service in xx miles", or "service now"

it does say mfd and when i turn it on it says service now. still running fine though. next time i have free time, im taking it to a volkswagen dealer and having them check it.

as soon as i know, ill post it here... just encase someone is dumb like me. ive never owned a vw and i dont know a lot about cars... i just love the way the golf looks and now that i drove one, im loving that aspect as well.

thanks peoples

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Putting in 87 won't cause a CEL, the ECU will adapt to lower-grade fuel by retarding the timing and making less power.

I'm guessing that the car also has an APR ECU flash, few people would put an APR exhaust on a car and not consider some performance mods as well. Maybe the car is flashed Stage 2 and had the downpipe removed, triggering an emissions fault CEL.

randrewm97

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Putting in 87 won't cause a CEL, the ECU will adapt to lower-grade fuel by retarding the timing and making less power.

I'm guessing that the car also has an APR ECU flash, few people would put an APR exhaust on a car and not consider some performance mods as well. Maybe the car is flashed Stage 2 and had the downpipe removed, triggering an emissions fault CEL.

yeah, true... i know revo stage 2 or 2+ deletes the cel from the exhaust. im not sure if ecstunning would... but thats in ohio and i bought the car from georgia but the car came from florida (ecs tunning wants the car in shop to tune it)... so that would be a long haul to ohio.

maybe tuesday ill swing by and get an engine code. id do it tomorrow but i bought a quick shift kit and a deverter valve and its coming tomorrow :biggrin:

randrewm97

Ready to race!
Car(s)
well i got home to late to get my deverter valve and quick shift kit... so i to auto zone and their cel reader thing said...

P0420-definition;
catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 explanation
faulty catalytic converter
probable cause;
rich air/fuel ratio (i get 30-33mpg going 60mph on a flat surface, but not sure about when im taking off cause that can very easily)
air leak near rear ho2s
faulty fuel control ho2s

so im guessing the exhaust doesnt have cats on them... or are gutted cats. the car is from florida and i thought florida had emissions check. ill be getting a k04 kit prolly in the summer time and an ecu remap from revo. should i worry about the cat or ho2s? ohio doesnt have e-check and dont think we will be getting it anytime soon. or should i put a cat or ho2s in... whichever needs replaced/put in.

i got home late and its to dark to check now if it has cats. also, i dont think warranty will cover this cause its an exhaust issue