GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cayenne brake swap

j_costenaro

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Alright, so my buddy bought a used modded GTI. The previous owner installed 04' Cayenne brakes on it. He's switching back to OEM because the offset required to run normal tires is giving him too much trouble for running a good winter set up. Anyhow, so instead of telling us how stupid it is to convert back to OEM, I need you guys to help me with this.

The bolt on the top, is blocked by the rear shock. There's 2 brackets that are bolted on the back for the hand brake and other caliper. From what it seems, the hand brake caliper is actually mounted where the oem caliper goes, so the cayenne caliper is in an area it has no business being.

- Also, would i need to unscrew the hand brake caliper just from the rear, or do i try and undo the front bolts as seen in the first pic?

The hand brake caliper seems to be more or less the same size as a normal rear caliper, but would the hardware used to attach it fit the OEM one?

Do we have to drop the rear (shocks and hub assembly) in order to gain access to the damn bolts?

We're working off jack stands so we don't exactly have too much clearance.
If we unbolt 2/3 bolts, would we somehow be able to move the bracket enough to gain access? (Probably not eh case since the screw blocked by the shock stays in the same place)

So if anybody has any idea how to proceed please let us know. Even for a basic rotor replacement, it seems like this would be a huge frkn headache
More pics available if needed.

All help is appreciated!

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
From what I can recall from my setup install - all the rear bolt hardware on that kit is custom. You won't be able to reuse any of it on the stock caliper; different sizes. Only bolts that are the same between OEM and Cayenne caliper installs, is up front.

Spring/Shock will have to be removed to get brackets off, so may as well not bother trying to take apart half of the handbrake caliper just to help get the rotor off.

I have that kit on my rears, and the large 18z caliper up front. Not sure what your friend is trying to run as a winter setup... For winters I run spacers, 10mm (F) 12mm (R), on my OEM Huffs - works fine.

j_costenaro

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
From what I can recall from my setup install - all the rear bolt hardware on that kit is custom. You won't be able to reuse any of it on the stock caliper; different sizes. Only bolts that are the same between OEM and Cayenne caliper installs, is up front.

Spring/Shock will have to be removed to get brackets off, so may as well not bother trying to take apart half of the handbrake caliper just to help get the rotor off.

I have that kit on my rears, and the large 18z caliper up front. Not sure what your friend is trying to run as a winter setup... For winters I run spacers, 10mm (F) 12mm (R), on my OEM Huffs - works fine.

He had something like 10 or 15mm spacer in the front. He's on interlagos rims and they stick out like an inch in the front while in the rear they're flush. So it looks kinda stupid and driveability isn't the best with a "staggered" set up.

Would he need to buy an OEM bracket for the rear along with the hardware?

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Yeah he'll need all the oem stuff including rotor and caliper and lines cuz the rotors won't fit in the oem caliper or he could give me his parking brake calipers and I could send him an oem rear parking setup with ecs Slotted rotors and hawk pads and ss lines that I currently have on my car. I'm missing those parking brake calipers for my setup. No offense to Eurocars who offered to buy them outright.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Lol OK cool. Info on said lead?

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Sent you a pm Eurocars

j_costenaro

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
We already have the stock sized rotors and the OEM rear calipers. Will I need anything else besides this:

- Rear brake line (already ordered)
- Rear bracket (that bolts to the hub? and then caliper)
- Fasteners/screws to bolt everything together.

Anything else?

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
That should be it. Maybe a dust shield if you want but it doesn't really do much lol

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Haha yeah