GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cat Back vs Upgraded DP w/stock

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Need someone to play father/big brother here....

Looking for a little extra tone and growl from the car. Original thoughts/plans are to stay "Stage 1" for drivability/reliability and mostly, because I would rather NOT do a clutch upgrade, meaning cat-back only.

Starting to wonder if I should skip the cat-back and just throw in a catted DP and marry it up to the stock exhaust. Is it possible to run an aftermarket DP without "stage 2 tuning" without throwing codes and the like, potentially negating the need for a new clutch?

Still haven't loaded the tune yet so i mean... obviously, if the stock clutch doesn't hold stage 1 tune, it will have to get upgraded anyways and this becomes a different conversation....

Thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can use the DP without the stage 2 tune. As far as the DP setting a CEL it depends on the DP. May have to use a spacer for the 02 sensor.
I would get the catback instead because the DP will only be good for maybe 10 HP. You have to decide if the cost and potential CEL is worth 10 HP. And if emissions would be a problem with a DP.

dmsyr

Ready to race!
I ran catless and (currently) catted downpipe to stock exhaust and I can safely say I got the sound I "wanted" without the addition of a catback. TBH, in my opinion, these cars sound like shit lol and no exhaust setup will make it sound stellar :/ If it's indeed just a little more sound you want, just get a downpipe.

However if you do decide to go catback, I would suggest getting a custom one fabbed up with a muffler/resonator of your choice. Much more cost effective. The bolt on exhaust setups to me are ridiculously overpriced. For example -on my Corolla XRS- the 2.5" Magnaflow bolt on catback kit was around $800 new. I found a Borla proXS muffler on Amazon "open box special" for around 80 bucks and had a shop fab up a 2.5" catback and I spent like $300 total.

Last edited:

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I've had a bunch of different exhaust combinations. The R is my DD and I'm 51, so I want something civil, not loud. Stock was way too quiet. Stock with the center resonator cut out was also way too quiet. Stock downpipe with APR cat back sounded good. APR catted downpipe with APR cat back was way too loud, even with the valves closed and it also sounded kinda raspy. APR catted downpipe with stock cat back was good. APR catted downpipe with stock exhaust and center resonator removed is perfect. OEM+ kind of sound, I can make it more quiet by closing the valves. Very happy with this setup

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Performance wise a intercooler upgrade would be the logical next step before a downpipe, but you’re not alone in wanting the car to sound the part.

This is thee OEM+ setup. CEL free GESI Gen2 400 cell cat, slightly louder than stock, but nice and deep so it’s not just louder, but the right kind of volume increase.

I was on team save the stock clutch before too, and mine made it 49,000 miles stage 1 with a full TBE by the end of its run. The clutch was still good, and I actually sold it after my upgrade so it’s all on how you drive (don’t go WOT below 3-4K rpm or the torque will slip the clutch).

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Need someone to play father/big brother here....

Looking for a little extra tone and growl from the car. Original thoughts/plans are to stay "Stage 1" for drivability/reliability and mostly, because I would rather NOT do a clutch upgrade, meaning cat-back only.

Starting to wonder if I should skip the cat-back and just throw in a catted DP and marry it up to the stock exhaust. Is it possible to run an aftermarket DP without "stage 2 tuning" without throwing codes and the like, potentially negating the need for a new clutch?

Still haven't loaded the tune yet so i mean... obviously, if the stock clutch doesn't hold stage 1 tune, it will have to get upgraded anyways and this becomes a different conversation....

Thanks
if you really plan on never going stage 2 i wouldn't bother with a downpipe. wouldn't be worth it when dealing with smog, and unless you pony up for a more expensive dp with an expensive cat it's going to stink a lot more compared to just a catback exhuast. for $500 you can get a catback from Beluga Racing and that will be a bit louder and deeper but nothing crazy. plus the dual mufflers hanging there looks pretty dope imo lol

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah if you don’t want to go stage 2 then a catback with stock DP is a better move than the corollary. Agreed with prioritizing an intercooler over a DP if staying stage 1 (though I recognize it has nothing to do with sound / your stated goals).

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Performance wise a intercooler upgrade would be the logical next step before a downpipe, but you’re not alone in wanting the car to sound the part.

This is thee OEM+ setup. CEL free GESI Gen2 400 cell cat, slightly louder than stock, but nice and deep so it’s not just louder, but the right kind of volume increase.

I was on team save the stock clutch before too, and mine made it 49,000 miles stage 1 with a full TBE by the end of its run. The clutch was still good, and I actually sold it after my upgrade so it’s all on how you drive (don’t go WOT below 3-4K rpm or the torque will slip the clutch).
Sir, I am quite glad to catch your response. I have certainly combed through a good amount of your sticky thread. You certainly seem to know what you're taking about! Thank You.

if you really plan on never going stage 2 i wouldn't bother with a downpipe. wouldn't be worth it when dealing with smog, and unless you pony up for a more expensive dp with an expensive cat it's going to stink a lot more compared to just a catback exhuast. for $500 you can get a catback from Beluga Racing and that will be a bit louder and deeper but nothing crazy. plus the dual mufflers hanging there looks pretty dope imo lol
Not going to lie, I am a little surprised with that good sound from an eBay setup. I think I remember reading a post (possibly GTI Jakes) about setting up an eBay CB system with a vibrant resonator but ultimately ditching it due to whatever issues (can't exactly remember).

Original thought was to go with Borla, but now thinking that setup is a little overbearing, especially if a DP comes in at a later point. Cobb / AWE has been on my radar recently, but I can get the Cobb for cheaper which tends to catch my attention a little better.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Sir, I am quite glad to catch your response. I have certainly combed through a good amount of your sticky thread. You certainly seem to know what you're taking about! Thank You.

Not going to lie, I am a little surprised with that good sound from an eBay setup. I think I remember reading a post (possibly GTI Jakes) about setting up an eBay CB system with a vibrant resonator but ultimately ditching it due to whatever issues (can't exactly remember).

Original thought was to go with Borla, but now thinking that setup is a little overbearing, especially if a DP comes in at a later point. Cobb / AWE has been on my radar recently, but I can get the Cobb for cheaper which tends to catch my attention a little better.

I can’t speak for Cobb, but Borla and AWE both have some short comings.

If you’re 100% only looking for sound a OEM CSS or TCR muffler is hard to beat.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

ya i have the vibrant 17950 swapped onto my BR exhaust. it had a nice deep tone but w/ the cts downpipe it droned too much for my liking. i dont see any reason for ditching it now, if anything i may swap out the mufflers for something a little louder

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I can’t speak for Cobb, but Borla and AWE both have some short comings.

If you’re 100% only looking for sound a OEM CSS or TCR muffler is hard to beat.

agreed, OEM CSS muffler is a great upgrade for trouble-free catback upgrade. Cause if you DO get a DP later, it should still sound pretty good being OEM.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I have a DP with a stock exhaust. The sound at cold start is noticeably louder. Once warmed up...its barely louder than stock...but get on the gas...it is quite a bit louder. The DSG farts are also noticeably louder. I'm good with the sound with the DP alone. I don't have to smog for another four years😁.

FWIW...I'm using a JB4 with my DP.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
+3 for the CSS / TCR muffler with everything else stock. Became a little loud when I installed a catted DP, but Jake is helping me with that.

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the catted AWE DP and am considering the CSS. Is Jake just installing the Vibrant 17950? Please share some clips when the work is done.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have the catted AWE DP and am considering the CSS. Is Jake just installing the Vibrant 17950? Please share some clips when the work is done.

A aftermarket DP, my MP, & CSS is a rowdy combination FIY.

Almost as loud as my Aggressive TBE, but far less refined.