GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CarPlay Update Coming

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Wonder if you can run Spotify overtop of Waze, as these two apps are actually integrated.

My main issue is in the center screen it will just show "Apple CarPlay" and not whatever the phone is playing :(

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Wonder if you can run Spotify overtop of Waze, as these two apps are actually integrated.

My main issue is in the center screen it will just show "Apple CarPlay" and not whatever the phone is playing :(

I would suspect yes given the demo that was shown with apps side by side.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I would suspect yes given the demo that was shown with apps side by side.

I see that but am hoping it's not just limited to Apple Maps + Apple Music only. CaptainRatty, can you confirm?

Building on my previous post, I saw this on the Apple site:

Second video stream support
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that show information in a second screen, such as in a cluster or HUD.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I see that but am hoping it's not just limited to Apple Maps + Apple Music only. CaptainRatty, can you confirm?

Building on my previous post, I saw this on the Apple site:

Second video stream support
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that show information in a second screen, such as in a cluster or HUD.

At this time, the split screen is limited to Apple Maps and Apple Music, but I don't see why that wouldn't be an API Waze and Google Maps could use with Spotify, etc.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Is wireless Car-Play going to be a feature of iOS13? Or would that require a hardware change?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Is wireless Car-Play going to be a feature of iOS13? Or would that require a hardware change?

Hardware dependent. BMW does it, but they also do not include CarPlay as standard.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

Wireless CarPlay requires a WiFi hotspot which requires a monthly service fee.

Sent from Winterfell using Ravens.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Would we need to get anything vehicle side updated at the dealership or will updating the apple phone cause the new carplay to take effect?

Hopefully there's some major improvements because current carplay kind of... blows.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
man I just wanna see my Jb4 screen the same time as music or maps. Dammit apple why can't you just cater to this community.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Would we need to get anything vehicle side updated at the dealership or will updating the apple phone cause the new carplay to take effect?

Hopefully there's some major improvements because current carplay kind of... blows.

It’s not much of a new experience, just improved. Similar to MK7 to MK7.5..... what issues are you having? CarPlay has been awesome for me and the majority of users around the country (across all brands according to multiple satisfaction surveys)

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

That’s the benefit of App Connect. The hardware is essentially a blank screen - the brains are in the phone.
It’s not much of a new experience, just improved. Similar to MK7 to MK7.5..... what issues are you having? CarPlay has been awesome for me and the majority of users around the country (across all brands according to multiple satisfaction surveys)

I use CarPlay every time I am in the car. It’s awesome. However it does has some faults, namely:
- changing the app on the phone changes the app on the screen
- inability to see Nav & Music which creates a distraction flipping over (thank you Adaptive Lane Keep Assist).
-Siri takes up the whole screen

edrex

Ready to race!
I'm about 90% happy with CarPlay. My major complaint is it can be a little glitchy with Spotify. Sometimes it works flawlessly, sometimes it shows a blank screen for the Spotify app except when I choose the 'now playing' screen. Other menus and music options are non existent like its frozen or something. Haven't figured out a fix aside from changing music directly on my phone at stoplights.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Also - I like to listen to YouTube while driving and that’s poorly integrated.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I use CarPlay every time I am in the car. It’s awesome. However it does has some faults, namely:
- changing the app on the phone changes the app on the screen
- inability to see Nav & Music which creates a distraction flipping over (thank you Adaptive Lane Keep Assist).
-Siri takes up the whole screen

It seems Apple is listening to you.. all 3 of those issues are fixed...

https://youtu.be/-cu3V1kStno

SloW8

Passed Driver's Ed
Fix the difference between radio/car volumes and CarPlay volume. The CarPlay has to be turned up to 50% to hear anything and then when I go back to radio when I unplug it blasts my eardrums.