GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Trouble

oddride

Passed Driver's Ed
Is any experiencing squeeling brakes?

The car is only a couple of months old with 15k on the clock and the brakes are squeeling. :mad0259:

Also the other day, the drivers side windscreen wipers were jumping when wiping down the windscreen. :wub:

Have you guys experienced this also?

OZVWConvert

Ready to race!
I have noticed my back drivers brake squeeling a bit, but only when I gently apply the brakes so I either release them or stomp on them and it stops.

Is pretty anoying but I am not bothered as I will more than likely be upgrading them soon...

ProudestMonkey

Betty has a sister now...
Car(s)
'08 Golf GTI
Usually I find it's just brake dust on the car or bike. Give the brake calipers a good wash and also a blast with compressed air (if you can get it). That usually cleans the dust out and quietens things up a bit.

Cheers,
Stu

BrissyGTI

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Yes mine have been squeeling for the last 5k and the car goes into service tomorrow. So going to be hitting them up to look into this because over time it has been come more frequent and pissing me off.

Is any experiencing squeeling brakes?

The car is only a couple of months old with 15k on the clock and the brakes are squeeling. :mad0259:

Also the other day, the drivers side windscreen wipers were jumping when wiping down the windscreen. :wub:

Have you guys experienced this also?

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
Rather than wash and use compressed air... there's a product called "Brake Clean" you can buy from places like Super Cheap auto. Pull the wheels off and give the brakes a good going over. If you're inclined, pulling the pads out and giving them a squirt can also help. This type of squeel generally lasts the whole time you have the brakes applied no matter what pressure and will get more noticable at lower speed.

If it's not dirty on the front of the pads, it may be dust behind them moving them off the backing that the piston applies pressure to. This backing on the pad could also be damaged. It's often the cause of brake squeel as the pads vibrate across the caliper under braking. Your dealer will be able to fix this for you and it should be no charge. This typically only makes a squeel as you're coming to a complete stop under moderate to low braking force.

Another cause of brake squeel can be a lip that's formed on your disk rotor. Run your finger from the inside of the cool disk to the outside and see if there is an obvious lip when you reach the outside. If there is, you can ask the dealer/service agent to remove the lip, but you'll have to pay as that is wear and tear based on the way you drive. with this type of fault, the brakes will squeel under light pressure, but not generally when you brake hard.

I think it's unlikely your disks are glazed... which can also cause a squeel and requires the disk to be machined to return to having a rough surface. This type of squeel will happen pretty much any time you hit the brakes regardless of pressure applied.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Wipers jumping will either be the wipers blades are contaminated (ie oil etc) or just worn out.

For what it's worth, rotors don't glaze, pads do.... and sporty oriented pads if driven in traffic etc all the time will glaze up. Much easier fix than pulling things off for machining if thats the cause though... find somewhere deserted where you can give the brakes 5-6 really good hard applications in a row (or until they start to fade) and then be able to drive for 10-15mins afterwards without stopping. Basically you are bedding in the pads again, i've posted the link to StopTech procedure in another thread before. Well worth trying for much improved braking performance and no squealing!