GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car cranks and cranks but engine won't start

Xingu

Wondering if anyone can help me? I have a stock 2010 GTI. Drove home one evening. The next morning, I turn the key and the car cranks but the engine doesn't catch. The car is *not* throwing *any* codes.

The weird thing is, when I let go of the key, the car continues to crank. I have to turn it into the "off" position for it to stop cranking.

I've confirmed the car is getting spark and the low pressure fuel pump works. None of the fuses are blown. The relays are working.

Any ideas? Is it the high pressure fuel pump? Wouldn't it throw a code for that? How can I confirm? Why doesn't the car stop cranking when I let go of the key?

I searched the forums but couldn't find anything that really describes my particular problem. Thanks for your help!!

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Maybe there is a vacuum leak or like u said fuel issue. The crank continues as a convince item I think so all you normally have to do is turn the key once and not have to sit and hold it like in older cars.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Also check your battery I know it's cranking but it could be low try to start with one of those mobile jump packs

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
If you crank for too long, you will flood the cylinders. Once you figure this out, I suggest changing your oil.
I cranked for like 1min once and gas got into the oil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Xingu

Hey guys - thanks for the tips. Yesterday, I found out I have zero compression in every one of the cylinders...which led me to discover bent valves. I have the unlucky diagnoses of the dreaded timing chain tensioner failure. Now need to confirm my pistons aren't damaged and fix the engine. I'm doing the work myself to save money but it's still gonna be a ton of $ and time and effort to fix.

From what I've read no one has been able to get VW to take responsibility for this design flaw. Anyone have any stories otherwise? If I thought I'd have a chance that VW would cover the repairs I'd just bring it in and let them handle it. :-(