GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Well... almost got rid of the yaris today. Checked out a Tacoma at a somewhat nearby Honda dealer. 2009 double cab, 4x4, V6, 5AT with TuRD offroad package. Pristine carfax, dealer serviced, and all scheduled maintenance allegedly done (listed on the carfax report). Listed for $26k on their website, $29k stickered on their lot. They really wanted to sell it and started to turn up the pressure for a sale and I got uncomfortable. But here's the details:

20,800 offer for truck
-13,000 GTI trade in (with broken sunroof)
+2200 payoff
+800 tax on the balance and tags.

Total roughly 10,800 out of pocket after my trade. Basically they were getting rid of the truck and were planning on only making money on my trade-in (which they'd make a solid $3-4k on).

Then I realized its not something I really want. I made that mistake with the GTI already, getting something that I didn't want because I was pressured by my girlfriend at the time. Getting a truck for city driving is ridiculous. Awful fuel mileage, nowhere to park it, and insurance would go up from the GTI. No warranty either, but it might not matter so much. I know its a good price... but its still a solid chunk of change. I hate this shit.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Why do you have such a raging boner for trucks again?

I'm a little bit redneck. I grew up driving in Texas, the land of the pick'em up truck.

First vehicle I had was a 2WD V8 F150, next was a 4x4 V6 Ranger. My trucks were durable, incredibly useful (I was mountain bike racing at the time, and hauling muddy crap in a truck is no issue), fun to drive (RWD and big engines), and overall just solid vehicles.

The Ranger required a bit of attention from time to time with the locking front hubs and transmission. But the F150 was indestructible until I got it T-boned.

My work gives me a pickup truck to drive inside our plant. Its just a base model F150 with a lowly V6, but its comfortable, reliable, starts every day, shifts smoothly, and generally requires nothing other than donkey piss 87 octane gas and wiper fluid. I don't think our garage has even changed the oil in the 3 years I've had it assigned to me. Ridiculous, I know, don't buy a fleet vehicle.

Trucks are designed to take a heavy beating and are built to a higher durability standard than a smooth road autobahn cruiser like the GTI. I really just like the durability, utility, and reliability a body on frame truck provides. And if its got a powerful engine, they're a TON of fun to hoon around with an empty bed.

Its just not going to be a good decision for me right now though. And the Taco is really missing the fun to drive hoon bit.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Agreed. I love me a nice truck.

But paying that much for fuel on a daily basis... woof.

No kidding. My aforementioned work truck (remember, V6), gets NINE MPG in the plant. Nine. Stop and go city-type driving. And thats with only, uh, maybe 300 lbs of crap in the bed on a routine basis.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Been driving a GMC Sierra Z71 the past couple days on this camping trip. Will be towing the famiky boat back with me.

I could leave it, honestly. Doesn't have power to pull its weight around, the steering has 20 degrees of dead zone (literally DEAD, no response whatsoever) and doesn't even have cruise control. I find it insane that it's worth more than my GTI is right now. I can't wait to get back into my car again, to have a modicum of connection with the chassis and road. I'm a small car guy.

butchered by autocorrecr

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Well... almost got rid of the yaris today. Checked out a Tacoma at a somewhat nearby Honda dealer. 2009 double cab, 4x4, V6, 5AT with TuRD offroad package. Pristine carfax, dealer serviced, and all scheduled maintenance allegedly done (listed on the carfax report). Listed for $26k on their website, $29k stickered on their lot. They really wanted to sell it and started to turn up the pressure for a sale and I got uncomfortable. But here's the details:

20,800 offer for truck
-13,000 GTI trade in (with broken sunroof)
+2200 payoff
+800 tax on the balance and tags.

Total roughly 10,800 out of pocket after my trade. Basically they were getting rid of the truck and were planning on only making money on my trade-in (which they'd make a solid $3-4k on).

Then I realized its not something I really want. I made that mistake with the GTI already, getting something that I didn't want because I was pressured by my girlfriend at the time. Getting a truck for city driving is ridiculous. Awful fuel mileage, nowhere to park it, and insurance would go up from the GTI. No warranty either, but it might not matter so much. I know its a good price... but its still a solid chunk of change. I hate this shit.

I have the 6mt version of that truck in west Los Angeles. It couldn't be my main mode of transportation, but it's great for what it is. Still, not a good move unless you're psyched about it now. Nothing about city driving is made easier by a truck except negotiating potholes, so it's unlikely to grow on you.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Here's your chance...my 04 mach 1 with 14,500 miles is for sale. No interest in driving it anymore. Generally just sits in my garage. It is absolutely perfect.

If I am going somewhere car related I have had more fun driving my old GTI or now my 15 wrx.

nice. are those 17's or 18's? look like 17's? I think they look GREAT on 18's with stock suspension... AND you got my fav color on that car! I'm jelly..

Truck nuts rock.

ftfy

legandrex

Ready to race!
nice. are those 17's or 18's? look like 17's? I think they look GREAT on 18's with stock suspension... AND you got my fav color on that car! I'm jelly..

ftfy

They are 2011 enkei 18 inch stock sti wheels I bought new from dealer. Car is a blast. Amazing grip and chassis composure. At first was bummed to not get a limited but I really like the cloth seats in the premium. Harmon Kardon sounds great too...no complaints with anything except paint on bumper chips too easily. Bumper on gti looked better after 2.5 years than it does in 2.5 months.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oh word. yeah, Subaru paint is lulz... gotta clearbra it asap, really.

legandrex

Ready to race!
oh word. yeah, Subaru paint is lulz... gotta clearbra it asap, really.

Gave it some thought...but it is leased and knowing me in 2.5 years will be driving another one or something different. Rather spend the coin on track day prep :)

Bender1

Banned
next car for the Mrs. Requirements:

Crossover/SUV (ugh, but her car)
AWD
Leather
26,500 or less (could go higher but would prefer not to)
15,000 miles or less (new prefered, but not exclusive)

She does not like the Mazdas. She would get another CRV but also would like something different.
GO!