GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

How many of those are R3's?

I have no interest in any other trim. It has completely different seats and different suspension/wheels/tires and no sunroof.

There might be one somewhere that's mis-labeled as a base or something - I did see one in Florida that's listed as a base but is really a clean R3 at a good price - but in general there are no more than a dozen or so R3's for sale at dealers nationwide as far as I can tell. There are also a few cars listed as R3's that are absolutely not R3's, so there might not even be a dozen.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
http://www.raypricemazda.com/used/Mazda/2009-Mazda-RX-8-f137a9340a0a00e04528e7617acd0718.htm

Notice how they conveniently don't take any shots with the Lambo doors open or mention it in the description and the conveniently only take a close up shot of 1 tire so you can't tell that they're all mismatched. Fucking SCUM.

The lambo doors were so shitty that they took 8+ attempts to get them to close all the way and the struts were blown so they wouldn't stay open. The door cards were also only attached at the top and were flopping at the bottom - the jackass that installed the hinges probably broke off half of the clips.

You'd think something like that would be worth picturing or mentioning, but no... "The car is as pictured"

Yes, technically a true statement but fucking EVIL.

SCUM.

"We didn't think it mattered"

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I've never been allowed to test drive a new Subaru WRX or STI, they said it was their policy to not allow it, but that "I should buy one anyways because they're sure I'll love it." :rolleyes:

I've tried more than a couple times and in different states.

Lol.

I was told Subaru doesn't offer test drives on the WRX/STI because their owners are very particular about picking up a new one with no miles (or close to) on the odo. That's part of the reason I didn't consider a 2015 WRX over my GTI, I would never ever buy a car without driving it first.

I vote for a GT over an ecoboost, but that depends on how important gas mileage is to you/how far you commute.

Actually gas mileage is the only reason why and i fill up once a week on my gti :laugh: Otherwise i wouldnt look at ecoboosts at all, i want to go back to naturally aspirated world and move onto a rwd platform like cars like s2000, 370z, s197 gt etc, but none of them fit me for my needs, like practicality and having more passengers.

Another reason i didnt choose wrx over it was the cheapest manual i could find on a 50 mile radius was $33k and it was red and had a spoiler at the time, i was in need for a car, i considered a mk6 R while i was waiting for the word from adjuster, but i don't to dump a grand on a clutch like i did with the mk6 a week before it got totaled. I guess im gonna continue modding the mk7 till i can find a used '15 wrx.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
That one's either not an R3 or not an automatic unless it's had a trans swap (R3 is manual only) - probably just another incompetent dealer that can't be bothered to list their car properly.

Car salesmen: The most clueless people on the planet.

I think you should try being one and having to deal with Troys like you. :laugh:

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
How would having a customer who knows exactly what he wants be difficult?

Do you just bank on people being fucking idiots that will buy anything as long as "it's high up and has nice pickup!"?

I support your rant after having recently been treated horribly by a car salesman.....but I think the lesson here is to ask a lot more questions before you drive a long distance, particularly when you are dealing with car salesman and a car dealership in BFE. You must assume incompetence and overcome it.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I support your rant after having recently been treated horribly by a car salesman.....but I think the lesson here is to ask a lot more questions before you drive a long distance, particularly when you are dealing with car salesman and a car dealership in BFE. You must assume incompetence and overcome it.

as I've ranted before - they don't answer questions, they just say "the car is as pictured, when would you like to test drive it?"

How the FUCK would I know to ask whether the doors are all fucked up anyway? That kind of shit should be in the listing.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
How would having a customer who knows exactly what he wants be difficult?

Do you just bank on people being fucking idiots that will buy anything as long as "it's high up and has nice pickup!"?

Unfortunately, most people are actually idiots.

Customers that know exactly what they want are rare.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
So is the logic something like "Most customers don't know anything, therefore salesmen also shouldn't be expected to know anything"? Try not to make your customers feel dumb by being dumb yourself? I don't get it.

I can't speak for all salespeople.

Some are experts. Some know jack shit. Most are somewhere in the middle - they know a lot, but don't know everything about every single car. Everyone has their strengths. At a domestic dealer that probably sells a lot of trucks... I wouldn't expect anyone to know a damned thing about the RX-8 aside from the fact it starts and drives.

At my dealership, that RX-8 would've at least had 4 matching tires on it at least, but with the lambo doors, it never would've made it onto the front line. Right to the auction it would've gone.

Anyways, to your original point... no, that's not the logic. Most people know nothing, therefore, we should (and are required to) know as much as possible. If I don't know something, I say, "Sorry, I actually don't know, but I'd be glad to either find the answer for you, or I'll find someone who does know the answer." All of the guys here are the same way.