GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car acceleration whistle, any technician out there?

paulnur

Rookie
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
When I accelerate at about 50% on the pedal (trying to find the sweet spot) I can get my car to whistle? I recently had my car go into the shop because my "turbo inlet vale" (I have to check the receipt) or something of that nature was malfunctioning witch made my car whistle like there was a tea kettle under my hood just idling (this was completely random when it happened). Any idea's on the whistling during acceleration?

Also, another thing, before I had my car in the shop after I installed my cold air intake when I rev'd my car and let off (around 4-5 grand) it made well I cant really describe it like it was the turbo, TURBO BARK? I searched around and saw youtube videos and it sounds the same (different car's and different variations of the noise but same thing). After the shop it stopped making that noise and now it sounds EXACTLY like a blow off valve.....IDK....

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
What is this sweet spot? Sweet spot is wot if you ask me

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
That's just your wastegate most likely, and the other sound is your diverter valve most likely, it gets a lot louder once you put an intake on

paulnur

Rookie
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
That's just your wastegate most likely, and the other sound is your diverter valve most likely, it gets a lot louder once you put an intake on

I have an intake, and here I refined the problem. It's when I accelerate and just start to let off like im catching the pressure coming out at a certain pressure and I can make it whistle. That's normal?

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
I have an intake, and here I refined the problem. It's when I accelerate and just start to let off like im catching the pressure coming out at a certain pressure and I can make it whistle. That's normal?

Sounds like your wastegate to me, I can find the right spot to get it to do that too.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
VWR intake gave me a whistle on acceleration (harmonic issue). Some threads out there suggest DV relocation to solve. It was worse in the warmer weather. I switched to the EVOMS intake and it went away, along with fuel trim issues.

Early in the cars life (34k miles, pre mods) I also had a chirp/whistle on acceleration. It ended up being the timing belt tensioner. At that time, the dealer replaced it under warranty, and the issue was resolved.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Super old post, I understand, but did you ever get a final diagnosis of this?

It all sounded normal. Many intakes like the p-flow will bark from the DV and sing with harmonics as RPMs increase. I also get a whistle coming off throttle or maintaining slight throttle at 10 in Hg vacuum. I hate hitting that spot as it sounds like a deflating balloon.

zmoclov21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 cw 2 door dsg gti
Yeah, mine never started until I replaced my old stock grommet style DV to a stock Rev D DV. It also made the "PHSssss" standard CIA sound much quieter once I changed the the Rev D. I've been running the P-Flo CIA forever - Well before the DV change, which is why I'm curious about the issue. To me is sound like some sort or crane screaming.. But it sounds like the DV is just barely at its release pressure and is just slightly starting to let air out, but that wouldn't make any sense because it happened when throttling...?