GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cant take it anymore. Thinking of selling my GTI

1966vdub

I recently got a red gti mk7, washed it as soon as i got it home after the stealer "detailed" it for me.. Ive had it for 10 days, already washed it 3 times. Using a spray wax till i get the time to give it a real waxing. That flat roof doesn't help with keeping the car clean [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk4_337

Ready to race!
I really haven't bought into the coating for "keeping the car clean." I know it would be great for overall paint protection, but does it really prevent dust and dirt from "sticking" to the car? I'm quite skeptical.

It really does, makes the pollen, dust, droppings wash right off with water only
The car will be super hydrophobic!

KlipZ

Ready to race!
It really does, makes the pollen, dust, droppings wash right off with water only
The car will be super hydrophobic!

well i suppose that would be great and all, but seeing as my car is black i cant just rinse it off. Water marks everywhere. I wash my car once a week, but i don't have the luxury of a garage for the time being, so it gets extra dirty extra quick.

Truthfully, i'm tossing my resumé around, which means whenever i land a new spot, i'll get a significant pay increase. Maybe i'll someone hold off until then, just to "justify" the private sale and everything because thats how my mind works.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
If you did a trade for a similarly condition used SE, you might not be out as much as one would think, likely not much more then the cost of a wrap. You can be patient and shop it until the right deal comes around. Coming from the autobahn may be difficult to go to S, 2016 SE with LP would be a reasonable choice. Easy to get used to those creature comforts.

Silver would be be the best, and white second. I was surprised to read the comment on red, as I thought that would stay looking good for sometime. I have white and when its really dirty it shows, but the first few weeks it looks pretty good. Heavy rain it gets pretty nasty in the back. When I was shopping my GTI back in late 2014, I fell in love with the carbon grey; however, when I saw it at the dealer I could see it was near a maintenance nightmare as black. Glad I changed my mind.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
You know, there are alternative routes that are far less drastic.

As someone with one, a ceramic coating absolutely does keep your car cleaner for longer, and make cleaning much easier. Like you, I wash once a week, my ride looks great most of the time.

Dust is easy to handle on a daily basis. Get a hand pump sprayer for a waterless wash(better then spray bottle), some quality edgeless microfiber towels(lots), and spend 15 minutes a day wiping it down. Panel by panel. I used to do this before having a coating and lived in the country where it was very dusty in the summer. Now, in the city in a parking garage, I don't fight the dust as much.

Take a deep breath, it'll all be OK.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I recently got a red gti mk7, washed it as soon as i got it home after the stealer "detailed" it for me.. Ive had it for 10 days, already washed it 3 times. Using a spray wax till i get the time to give it a real waxing. That flat roof doesn't help with keeping the car clean [emoji848]

Modern spray waxes and hand applied emulsified cream waxes are the same thing, you're giving it a "real" wax already. Now, if you're talking pure paste wax, that's a different story.

Also, I'm glad I have never had an experience with a dealer to use that dreaded nickname myself lol.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Definitely check how much of a depreciation hit you'll get. Might be worth just getting a good wrap...

Or unless you're wanting to upgrade to the facelift or an R anyway then that's up to you.

This is the thing, I may consider waiting for the facelift GTI to hit and get my new job in the meantime, then then upgrade might be well worth it.

If you did a trade for a similarly condition used SE, you might not be out as much as one would think, likely not much more then the cost of a wrap. You can be patient and shop it until the right deal comes around. Coming from the autobahn may be difficult to go to S, 2016 SE with LP would be a reasonable choice. Easy to get used to those creature comforts.

Silver would be be the best, and white second. I was surprised to read the comment on red, as I thought that would stay looking good for sometime. I have white and when its really dirty it shows, but the first few weeks it looks pretty good. Heavy rain it gets pretty nasty in the back. When I was shopping my GTI back in late 2014, I fell in love with the carbon grey; however, when I saw it at the dealer I could see it was near a maintenance nightmare as black. Glad I changed my mind.

Grey was my first choice but there wasn't one anywhere near me. I can see how it would be just as much of a hassle to keep clean as black. Silver and white are by far the easiest colors to keep clean. I love white with black wheels, dark tint and black badges; the storm trooper look. Silver looks great with the same modifications.

That being said, you are correct in the SE w/LP downgrade. Thats what i would be looking at. I found one used with 11k miles for 22k. The way i see it is if its not money out of my bank account, i'm alright. I feel the longer i wait to sell my car, the less i'll be able to get for it as VW's seem to depreciate very quickly.

1966vdub

Modern spray waxes and hand applied emulsified cream waxes are the same thing, you're giving it a "real" wax already. Now, if you're talking pure paste wax, that's a different story.

Also, I'm glad I have never had an experience with a dealer to use that dreaded nickname myself lol.

Yeah I'm talking about a pure wax paste. I just feel the spray wax don't hold up and the water doesn't bead off like it does after using a paste wax.

And I call them the stealership because they nickel and dime you for everything, took a good 2 weeks of negotiating to get the car at the price I wanted out the door. The mark up's are ridiculous. In a way i get it, they are trying to make buck but the price of the car should be the same everywhere. Its not like the car differs depending on where you buy it [emoji849]

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I'm talking about a pure wax paste. I just feel the spray wax don't hold up and the water doesn't bead off like it does after using a paste wax.

And I call them the stealership because they nickel and dime you for everything, took a good 2 weeks of negotiating to get the car at the price I wanted out the door. The mark up's are ridiculous. In a way i get it, they are trying to make buck but the price of the car should be the same everywhere. Its not like the car differs depending on where you buy it [emoji849]

Gotcha! Yes, a pure paste wax will run circles around most spray waxes. The only spray wax I have ever been moderately impressed with in terms of longevity and strength was Sonax High Speed Wax. Cheap too. But paste is the way to go no doubt!

Wow, usually the name gets earned in the service department lol. But I understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately region absolutely does affect car pricing, especially if one county over has .5% less sales tax or something, that can add up. My salesmen explained it to me once, but the volume of sales at the dealer affects them too. A dealer that moves a lot of inventory is far less likely to budge on pricing compared to a smaller volume dealer. Just economics. They know they make target every month, and know that they will most likely be able to sell that car at full price eventually. But, I am 100% in support of dealing on performance badged vehicles, or for repeat customers, because they clearly enjoy the brand and want something special.

I was lucky enough to have an employee rebate rollover into the purchase of my GTI because I worked for them when I purchased my TDI that was killing us all slowly. Supposedly. That was good for $1500 off sticker. Employee pricing now is insane, they get even lower interest then I got AND 13% off of sticker price. Crazy deal.

1966vdub

Gotcha! Yes, a pure paste wax will run circles around most spray waxes. The only spray wax I have ever been moderately impressed with in terms of longevity and strength was Sonax High Speed Wax. Cheap too. But paste is the way to go no doubt!

Wow, usually the name gets earned in the service department lol. But I understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately region absolutely does affect car pricing, especially if one county over has .5% less sales tax or something, that can add up. My salesmen explained it to me once, but the volume of sales at the dealer affects them too. A dealer that moves a lot of inventory is far less likely to budge on pricing compared to a smaller volume dealer. Just economics. They know they make target every month, and know that they will most likely be able to sell that car at full price eventually. But, I am 100% in support of dealing on performance badged vehicles, or for repeat customers, because they clearly enjoy the brand and want something special.

I was lucky enough to have an employee rebate rollover into the purchase of my GTI because I worked for them when I purchased my TDI that was killing us all slowly. Supposedly. That was good for $1500 off sticker. Employee pricing now is insane, they get even lower interest then I got AND 13% off of sticker price. Crazy deal.

Yeah they know how to work the numbers. They eventually ended up giving me the car under true car so i was happy with the deal. Got the sport for around what the S goes for.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Silver>White>Gray/Red>Night Blue>Black is the clean scale on GTIs.