GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canon 1.4x Extender II

ONGIE

Hi Members

Okay...i need a little extra length.....no, not that...for my 40D...lol

I've got myself a Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS lens and dont really wont to fork out extra cash for a 400mm...I know this extender will never replace a good quality lens, but this accessory looks sweet.

I have searched the net for info & reviews, seems positive....however If anyone is using this I would appreciate your feedback, thoughts, quality of pics when used fully opened with extender.

Here is the one in question
Extender.jpg

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

GotGTI?

caus GTI is raycekor. :-|
i came across some reviews for this and several people said they recommend getting a telephoto/zoom lens over this. basically that it's a waste of money..

wake

wake up!
I've heard a lot of good things about the 1.4x Extender but strong suggestions to stay away from the 2.0x. That's what I was looking to do with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS and the 1.4x extender. I say go for it and see how you like it...I'm sure you will have good results with it.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I have a Quantaray (Ritz brand) 2x TC. I use it w/ my Canon EF 70-200 f/4L every now and then. I find it good enough.

A TC is a massive compromise. Because of this, I couldn't justify blowing real money on a Canon TC. The off-brand is of lesser quality, but then a TC already degrades quality.

Then again I am not in the 70-200 f/2.8L league. My f/4L is already 2x what I really have the skill to use. So maybe my opinion doesn't apply.

Paul_OH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TSI
Hi Ongie,
I use one in conjuction with my 70-200 f4L and have noticed no issues with image quality at all, extremely sharp at all focal lengths. Obviously you have to up the shutter speed to compensate for the longer reach which the use of the 1.4XTC tries to counteract by upping your minimum f-stop by +1. If you're keen to try before you buy (unless you're in Perth where I could arrange a loan), you can usually hire them from pro outlets that cater for sports/wedding/press photographers.
I'd stay away from the Sigma, Quantaray, Tamron etc TCs based on the research I did but the Canon one is excellent.

ONGIE

Thanks guys.

and thank you Paul for offering a loan but Im in Melb so a bit far.

I tried the Canon last week and it worked great...image quality was no issue.